Caution cleaning heads

Cymbalrider

Pioneer Member
I have used Acetone to clean the print logos off of bass drum heads (Aquarian coated, Remo Coated, Remo Fiberskyn, and Evans Smooth White) and it has never taken the coating off. Acetone is a strong solvent used to clean dried paint off things, certainly much stronger than Windex.

Come to think of it, I've used "Goof-Off", very strong cleaner/solvent for the same results on coated and smooth heads and never had any problems with coating coming off.

beatdat

Mr. Kleen Magic Eraser pads work great. Don't scrub hard and scuffs come right off.

Just a tiny bit of water so the pad is moist, not sopping.
So, any consensus on this?

I re-skinned the kit I have at my rehearsal space a couple of weeks ago with coated Evans G1s and one of the guys I periodically rent the space to made a complete mess of them in just one night. I wouldn't mind it much if the marks he left were in a tight radius around the centre of the heads, but he left marks all over each drum head - it looks awful.

If not Mr. Kleen Magic Eraser, does anyone know of a reliable way to clean coated Evans heads?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I was experimenting using duck tape on reso head of snare (trying to eliminate buzz) and tape to hold things I was altering strap angles. Anyways after I took it all off there was a nasty residue. I decide to try isopropyl alcohol and I'm not sure if it was the glue or alcohol (or both) that seems to alter the Evans hazy head (got cloudy looks brittle). Dammit should have left it alone. But as a general rule I never clean any drum or cymbal-so all coated in dust. It's funny my ride you can see the area I play with no dust. Every once in awhile I'll blow off the dust from the bass badge. The heads never seem to collect dust after daily playing I guess -it vibrates off??

KamaK

Platinum Member
So, any consensus on this?
Begin with a clean dry towel.
Follow up with a damp towel using only warm water.
Follow up with a clean dry towel.

Why people feel the need to immediately jump to solvents, bleaches, and micro-abrasives really challenges my imagination. Solvents are for things that water can't clean. Cat piss and other bio-fluids..... If you find yourself in a position where plain-ole-water doesn't work, try adding a drop of dawn dish washing detergent before moving on to other industrial solvents.

beatdat

I was experimenting using duck tape on reso head of snare (trying to eliminate buzz) and tape to hold things I was altering strap angles. Anyways after I took it all off there was a nasty residue. I decide to try isopropyl alcohol and I'm not sure if it was the glue or alcohol (or both) that seems to alter the Evans hazy head (got cloudy looks brittle). Dammit should have left it alone. But as a general rule I never clean any drum or cymbal-so all coated in dust. It's funny my ride you can see the area I play with no dust. Every once in awhile I'll blow off the dust from the bass badge. The heads never seem to collect dust after daily playing I guess -it vibrates off??
I normally don't care, but, like I said, he left marks ALL OVER the heads from rim to rim. It looks like a 2-year went to town on them with a magic marker, so I'd like to do what I can to get rid of the marks (they are, after all brand new heads).

The dust that accumulates on your drums are probably gathered all around the inside of the rims.

Begin with a clean dry towel.
Follow up with a damp towel using only warm water.
Follow up with a clean dry towel.

Why people feel the need to immediately jump to solvents, bleaches, and micro-abrasives really challenges my imagination. Solvents are for things that water can't clean. Cat piss and other bio-fluids..... If you find yourself in a position where plain-ole-water doesn't work, try adding a drop of dawn dish washing detergent before moving on to other industrial solvents.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

But, if that doesn't work, have you tried the Mr. Kleen Magic Eraser? What were the results like?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I normally don't care, but, like I said, he left marks ALL OVER the heads from rim to rim. It looks like a 2-year went to town on them with a magic marker, so I'd like to do what I can to get rid of the marks (they are, after all brand new heads).

The dust that accumulates on your drums are probably gathered all around the inside of the rims.

But, if that doesn't work, have you tried the Mr. Kleen Magic Eraser? What were the results like?
Yep it does collect at rims-good observation. I bet the Magic eraser would work but it is a microabrasive so with a coated head you'd have to be careful-worth a shot on a mark.

KamaK

Platinum Member

They work exactly as expected. They clean like a sponge and water, but grind away a small amount of the coating to make it super clean. I would imagine it works a couple times before you begin to wear the coating down smooth to the point where brushes no longer work.

I've also used them to good effect on old cymbals with unidentified-spatter-funk on them that I couldn't get clean with water and two towels.

The only note is that there Magic Erasers both with-and-without a bleach additive. Get the "without"..

Gottliver

Just play the damn things. You’ll change em eventually. Why waste time and effort on cleaning drum heads? Use that time to master your double diddle swiss flam para rolls. Right?!?!

beatdat

They work exactly as expected.
They do, indeed! I bought a pack yesterday and wiped the stick marks off in no time at all. I didn't even notice any wearing down of the coating.

Just play the damn things. You’ll change em eventually. Why waste time and effort on cleaning drum heads? Use that time to master your double diddle swiss flam para rolls. Right?!?!
Dude, I don't know if you read through the thread or my posts, but...

I decided to put my 16 inch floor tom back together for my Renowns, and since it had been sitting around it had a few marks on it, I decided to clean it up. Windex is not the fluid to use. I sprayed some on the head, started to wipe and it immediately took of the coating on the Evans G2 head. A word to the wise.

I accidentally splashed a citrus-based household cleaner on a coated G1 and had the same result. Ended up removing rest of the coating completely myself, and used it as a clear head for remainder of its life.

Gottliver

They do, indeed! I bought a pack yesterday and wiped the stick marks off in no time at all. I didn't even notice any wearing down of the coating.

Dude, I don't know if you read through the thread or my posts, but...
Dude, i like totally did, dude. Just play em and trash em and replace em. Once you hit em dude they aren’t new.

beatdat

Dude, i like totally did, dude. Just play em and trash em and replace em. Once you hit em dude they aren’t new.
Are you being deliberately obtuse, or are you just a natural born contrarian? Either way, it seems like you completely ignored what I said or you simply missed the point. Your time would have probably been better spent working on your "double diddle swiss flam para rolls" rather than replying in this thread.