Carmine Appice ‘Taught’ John Bonham to Play*Drums?

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Carmine Appice ‘Taught’ John Bonham to Play Drums?

Carmine Appice ‘Taught’ John Bonham to Play Drums?

SKF NOTE: Okay. It’s none of my business. Still, I cringed when I read what Carmine Appice’s book publisher wrote about Carmine and John Bonham. Fair enough to say Bonham was influenced by Carmine, but…

CARMINE APPICE's Memoir, 'Stick It!: My Life Of Sex, Drums, And Rock 'N' Roll', Due In May
January 20, 2016 68 Comments

Official book description: "Carmine Appice has enjoyed a jaw-dropping rock-and-roll life — and now he is telling his scarcely believable story. Appice...taught John Bonham to play drums....

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Last edited:

opentune

Platinum Member
Great drummer....and am not surprised he would say or think that. Overblowing something he maybe 'showed' or 'told' JB again.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
As far as I know, the influence extends to Bonham seeing Carmine playing double bass licks, without realized that he had double basses, so implemented those licks on the single bass drum...hence you get the split sextuplet bass drum licks on Good Times Bad Times and other songs.

So by that argument, I can say that Mitch Mitchell taught me.

GeoB

Gold Member
As far as I know, the influence extends to Bonham seeing Carmine playing double bass licks, without realized that he had double basses, so implemented those licks on the single bass drum...hence you get the split sextuplet bass drum licks on Good Times Bad Times and other songs.

So by that argument, I can say that Mitch Mitchell taught me.
I understand that Jim Marshall (later the owner of Marshall amps) taught lessons to Mitch Mitchell, and others. Marshall stated in interviews that teaching those lessons earned enough money to start up the amp business (he was also an electrical engineer).

Not to get off point but over the years I have known two drummers who were taught by Joe Morello. Can you imagine that? I can't even imagine running into an opportunity like that.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Carmine taught John to play drums in the same manner that Ringo taught John Bonham to drive a Rolls Royce.

It likely boils down to a bit of inspiration and a few chats over a pint.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Yeah, I saw an interview a while back and Carmine said something to this effect, I cbf finding it but he said when he met JB he asked him where he learned what he was playing, and JB said he was expanding on some small sample of Carmine's playing from one particular song.

I could be wrong but he just struck me as one of those shit talkers who will say whatever they think they can get away with. I've met plenty of ppl like that before. No disrespect and apologies if I'm wrong.

Thud

If I could just poke my nose in.... My understanding is that John Bonham heard Carmine play on records only. He didn't see him perform and knew nothing of double bass kits.

So John was doing double bass licks on one drum and when Carmine saw him play he was amazed and explained to John how he played double bass. If that is "teaching him how to play" then that's what he did.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Carmine is one of the most important drummers in the history of rock music. Just ask him.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Carmine is one of the most important drummers in the history of rock music. Just ask him.
I was trying to come up with something similar, but I can't top this.

I've been playing hard rock styles, including some time spent with double bass, since the late '70s, so if he was even half the monstrously influential god he claims he is, then at least in theory he should have had some effect on my playing. But I can honestly say that Carmine has never cracked my top 500 list of favorite drummers.

I suppose he may have had some influence on the drummers who influenced me, but if so, I'm not aware of it.

Sorry Carmine, but I'm familiar with your body of work and it pretty much speaks for itself. Throwing up score cards of groupie conquests, grossly overestimating your historical importance, and the endless parade of shameless namedrops only further diminishes your already minor relevance.

PS - your kid brother's drumming is way cooler than your own.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Brilliant Larry.

And I like the guy; interesting character and he did manage to put together quite a life for himself. But, it's his braggadocio that is world class. Can't think of anyone who does it better.

Last edited: