career advise

TMe

I'm just an amateur but from what I've seen of the industry, I'd think a professional musician needs to have tremendous social skills and the patience of a saint.

Last edited:

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Many people won't understand what I'm about to write, but if you've been a new upstart during the past ten years you'll know what is about. It helps to have a mean streak. Some of the older (lost) generations know about this, read Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" or "East of Eden".

TMe

Many people won't understand what I'm about to write, but if you've been a new upstart during the past ten years you'll know what is about. It helps to have a mean streak. Some of the older (lost) generations know about this, read Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" or "East of Eden".
Yeah, having tremendous social skills doesn't necessarily mean being a "nice guy". It means being able to work people, without blowing a gasket.

FFFF

I'm just an amateur but from what I've seen of the industry, I'd think a professional musician needs to have tremendous social skills and the patience of a saint.
Thanks for mentioning Social Skills!

I believe your soft skills and attitude are very important. At the end of the day, people will only select the ones they LIKE to work with, not necessarily the cream of the crop.

To get into the music career, or in fact any career, you really need to employ some networking skills. That's how we get jobs nowadays.

jimb

I think its the same in any walk of life if you work for yourself and as above its two things only.

Be good at what you do and know exactly what is wanted.

Be someone who other people like. This in my experience is so important but not always easy to achieve...we're all different etc

But I've seen this winning combo countless times in business and the pattern is the same whoever you are and whatever it is you do.