Captain Jack Bass drum part

MisterZero

Hey, quick question, guys. Anyone know what I'm to do with my bass drum during Captain Jack (Billy Joel) chorus? My bass player and i are at odds, and I can't hear it on the recording.....

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
A great song from that album, this is the first time I've heard of a band covering it!

Many recorded kicks in the pre-dance ere weren't very prominent in the mix, and this is a case where a decent audio program helps. You make a file of the song, and use parametric EQ to zone in on the kick and accentuate it. Whether the attack becomes more audible, or you simply get more thump, you'll be able to more easily pick out the part. I don't have the track in front of me or I'd try it myself to see which way it needs to go.

On a side note, I believe Piano Man was the last album before Billy had his band, and it was recorded in L.A. On that session was Ron Tutt on drums, and on guitar, my brother, Richard Bennett. I remember him commenting at the time about the number of guitar tracks on that song. A very heavy track for Billy back in the day!

Bermuda

larryz

Platinum Member
Appreciate the inside story Bermuda.. Thanks..

Always loved the line that goes something about he's 24 and his mom still makes his bed..and that's too long... Funny.

Yeah Billy has got a bad rap over the years from so-called "critics" but upon revisting his music I thik it's really enjoyable. He maybe tried too hard to be a serious musician but the melodies and playing were always great. Ron Tutt, then Liberty DeVito (sp?)...

Can't argue with the talent of those guys. great stuff. Would like to hear your version of the song! Good luck.

MisterZero

Thanks guys. Bermuda, would Audacity work to EQ the bass drum out? I have used it a l ittle, need way more tutoring on it....I'll give that a shot, thanks. Larryz, I'll post it on site if i get a decnt recording of it. our singer sings Billy Joel real well.....and he plays a mean piano, too.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've got Audacity, but it's not a very capable program in terms of sound manipulation. It's fine for simple playback or opening certain types of encoded files though. Remember, you get what you pay for with that. :)

I use Sound Forge for most of my audio processing, and it has some nice EQ options and great processing all around. Again, you get what you pay for.

Bermuda

larryz

Platinum Member
Mr. Zero, fyi, gave that song a spin last night and forgot what a great song it is.

Good luck with the audience response to the lyric about staying at home and, well, let's just saying, having some fun with yourself ...

Nice song to drum to, as well...have fun.

eric_B

Thanks guys. Bermuda, would Audacity work to EQ the bass drum out?
You might give Reaper a try. Shareware (you can try it for free), very affordable and very capable.
Add the ReaEQ fx plugin, put up the gain on a band, set the bandwidth to about 0.1 octave or so and try shifting the frequency up and down to locate the kick, like Bermuda said.

The last trick also works for removing artifacts by pulling down the gain.

A great song from that album, this is the first time I've heard of a band covering it!

Many recorded kicks in the pre-dance ere weren't very prominent in the mix, and this is a case where a decent audio program helps. You make a file of the song, and use parametric EQ to zone in on the kick and accentuate it. Whether the attack becomes more audible, or you simply get more thump, you'll be able to more easily pick out the part. I don't have the track in front of me or I'd try it myself to see which way it needs to go.

On a side note, I believe Piano Man was the last album before Billy had his band, and it was recorded in L.A. On that session was Ron Tutt on drums, and on guitar, my brother, Richard Bennett. I remember him commenting at the time about the number of guitar tracks on that song. A very heavy track for Billy back in the day!

Bermuda
A little history: Ron Tutt played on 9 of the 10 tracks on Piano Man. The drummer on Captain Jack was Billy's regular touring drummer at the time Rhys Clark. Ron did play on all the tracks to the next album Billy released the next year, Streetlife Serenade however.

Captain Jack had actually been performed live for two years prior to finally being released on an album, beginning in 1971. It made its debut on November 9, 1971 during Billy's short radio concert recorded at Ultrasonic Studios in Hempstead, NY. Rhys Clark was the drummer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbck8mtPrKg&feature=related

Finally, on November 8th the Piano Man Legacy Edition will hit store shelves. This is a 2-disc set that has both the original 1973 album, and another disc that has the landmark April 15, 1972 WMMR concert from Sigma Sound Studios in Philadelphia. It was the radio play of Captain Jack from this concert that put Billy on the map.