Can't Believe He Said That....

JustJames

Platinum Member
Yesterday I was speaking with somebody I know. This person is a proficient drummer, has played with at least one band that AFAIK "almost made it".

Two opinions I was exposed to yesterday...

1. Mapex Saturns are really only good for death metal "where you want a click sound from the kick drum". My suggestion that heads and tuning would make a big difference was dismissed out of hand.

2. Avoid used Tama drums 'cause they just don't last. The hardware is lousy and the shells "warp".

I remain thoroughly unconvinced on both fronts, but it made me think that there must be heaps of "received wisdom" out there that's really just BS.

So, what have you been exposed to recently?

crispycritters

I have a drummer friend who never changes his drum heads, insists they remain good until they break (I'm pretty sure he has used the same snare batter at every gig I've seen his band play - 15 years maybe, no coating left, dented to bastardry etc).

Its not for financial reasons - he carries a spare set of new heads just in case of breakage. I suggested he should fit the new heads and keep the old ones in case of breakage but he wasn't having any of it.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Two opinions I was exposed to yesterday...

1. Mapex Saturns are really only good for death metal "where you want a click sound from the kick drum". My suggestion that heads and tuning would make a big difference was dismissed out of hand.

2. Avoid used Tama drums 'cause they just don't last. The hardware is lousy and the shells "warp".

I remain thoroughly unconvinced on both fronts, but it made me think that there must be heaps of "received wisdom" out there that's really just BS.

So, what have you been exposed to recently?
BS it is my friend :)

All I can do is share my opinion on the matter:

1. Mapex Saturns are really only good for sticks4drums (Glen) "where you want a massive drumkit on a stone riser". But my suggestion that no one else should use Mapex Saturns was dismissed out of hand.

2. My faithful Tama Artstar II is 27 years old, sounds better than ever, the shells aren't wrapped and most of my hardware is Tama's Titan from the early 80's which is still in perfect working order.

... of course, in my 35+ years of drumming, I've gain very little wisdom, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt :|

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well hopefully the fella realizes he was full of himself and starting to believe his own PR. It happens. I'd be more critical if "I can't believe I said that" hasn't happened to me-one of those being an idiot of my accord moments. LOL.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Every drummer I know loves the sound of vintage drums. They all agree.
Vintage in this case means drums made before 1980.
Yet in my city there is only one drummer I know of that plays gigs with a set of vintage drums.

T

The SunDog

I've been told on more than one occasion that DW Collectors are garbage.

mikel

Platinum Member
I have been told loads of times that if you want to be even a half decent drummer you have to start by spending at least two years playing nothing but rudiments on a practice pad. If you so much as look at a kit in that time you will go straight to hell.

Superman

Gold Member
I've been told many times that PDP and DW are the same, therefore you can just put a DW head on a PDP kit and it's ok.

mikyok

Platinum Member
A mate who drums in a Metallica tribute tried lecturing me about K cymbals being one dimensional and only good for jazz and his AAX crashes were the best thing since sliced bread. The same guy then said Paiste Rudes were too dark????

I was genuinely stumped. I think the Lars is rubbing off.

Brian

Gold Member
reading music, sight-reading, playing other instruments fluently, practicing rudiments, practicing out of books, practicing technique... is all overrated..

on and on

Red Menace

Platinum Member
...Yet in my city there is only one drummer I know of that plays gigs with a set of vintage drums.
I gig a set of vintage drums. Used to haul a set of 60's Rogers to church every week till I got this new gig that has a house kit. Unless that one drummer you're referring to is me. Is it me? ...it's probably not me

Only silly thing I remember being told was a sound guy that recommended I put a "pellow" in my bass drum.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Not drum related, but a friend who I would categorize as a mansplainer said he didn't want to get big muscles at the gym because guys with muscles always end up fat.

My response was "you're 50 years old and already fat."

bonerpizza

Silver Member
Not sure where he gets EITHER of those opinions but I'd REALLY like to hear more "facts" from this guy!

My guess is he had a Tama kit that warped and some of the hardware broke and he assumes all Tama drums are like that which they definitely aren't, my Starclassic kit is 17 years old and none of the drums are warped and all the hardware is original and in perfect working condition!