Can you turn an "intermediate" kit into a "pro" kit?

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
My experience in shopping intermediate drums is that the pro grade tends have the more expensive raw materials, more stylistic aesthetic designs, and more eccentric configurations, than the more mass produced versions. IE you can't turn your set into a purple stained real burl veneer with gold plated hardware with that odd sized 13in tom that fits in your tuning scheme.

You can get a set with a decent but mass produced finish, precision cut bearing edges( in the common sizes), and decent precision tuning hardware.

That's my experience anyway.

Also if you are Neil Pert you can get DW to build you a set with the shells tuned to match your tuning scheme.

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
It really depends on what you are willing to spend. Depends on the shells, too. If the mid-level has soft shells as compared to most pro level sets having hardwoods, that can be an issue but, having a harder resonance chamber is not necessarily the definition of pro sound.

You can turn a mid-level into Pro by simply upgrading hardware. You can refinish and hone a nicer sheen if you are into that but, plenty of pro level drums are finished in Satin sheen. You can wrap. Plenty of pro sets are wrapped. You can change out lugs, finding nicer lugs of the same hole spacing if the mid-level lugs are on the weaker side of casting.

If the bearing edges are what you want that can remain. Bearing edges are not a major issue for defining mid-level or pro. Mid-level sets generally have well cut edges nowadays.

Pro level generally means hardwood shells, fine finishes and better hardware. You decide what you want. Frankly, for me it is about heads, tuning, and mounting that makes the best sound. Hardware and cosmetics come next.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The old Tama Imperial Star vs Swing Star from the 80's was a good example.

Pretty much the same shells,slightly different hardware and heads.
Exactly.

It was always funny seeing Tama selling the Swingstars as entry level while showing off all the name pros who were touring with the Imperialstars, even though it was the same shell!

pgm554

Platinum Member
Did they put the Zola coating in the Swingstars?
Yup.
In fact they were so close in make Gene Okamoto(head of Pearl development USA)took in a Swingstar in trade thinking it was an Imperialstar when he ran Drum World.

Only difference was the badge.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Yup.
In fact they were so close in make Gene Okamoto(head of Pearl development USA)took in a Swingstar in trade thinking it was an Imperialstar when he ran Drum World.

Only difference was the badge.
So that was you!

Hahaha....

Actually, I don't remember that. But I worked with Gene for 4 years at Drum World. 88-92.