Can someone tell by ear what he is playing here?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I think his hi hat was playing the 2 cross beats, the viennese waltz as he called it. Nice spot, cool to see drum notations on wikipedia!

Big Foot

Silver Member
I don't have a good version of the song (except for an 11 minute long version live in Paris) so I'm having a hard time just hearing the parts...
could it be this; Elvin's typical fill-in on the "and" & "ah" of 1 & the "and" of 2 with the HH on the 2 (some times2 & 3) played on this idea...

Attachments

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
well, whatever he does, he travels from the high tom to the floor, then back to the high. What you were saying bigfoot seems not too far off, but yeah, very hard to hear. But it sounds great as a whole, I will find out what it is! | must!

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
5:57 in the video tells all, there is a close shot of what hes playing. Should be able to work it out from there, just fill in any holes with the bass drum

Big Foot

Silver Member
I've been trying to see what other drummers on youtube are doing, just to get an idea. But I think I'm going to have to figure out some kind of groove, by ear, that sounds close to what Elvin was doing. I wonder if he ever played it the same way twice...

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I've been trying to see what other drummers on youtube are doing, just to get an idea. But I think I'm going to have to figure out some kind of groove, by ear, that sounds close to what Elvin was doing. I wonder if he ever played it the same way twice...
well, from what i can hear is that he does play pretty much the same thing during the chorus, but for the rest of the song when hes playing on the snare it's all Elvin! I don't think i have seen any drummer on the tube do it the way he does on this video, that shot at the 6min mark is how i figured it out, and it sounds like it alright, same as what he does at the start.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
It sounds/look like variations on the attached idea.
i can't tell you exactly what i am seeing in the video. But compared to this pattern, they are pretty alike. But i think he substitutes one of the "spangs" for a florr tom beat rather than having the tom beats "on" the best. And he hits two high tom notes.

Really i think the difference is that this is a simplified version you know. I could be wrong, but he doesn't work around the set like this, i think he goes clockwise, then turns around and goes counter. High tom to floor then back with two hits on the high tom

i think he plays the tom beats in this pattern. high tom hit on beat 4 (6/8) floor tom hit on beat 5 and then a double hit on beat 6 . and the floor tom hit is with his right hand, but he does switch it.
spang spang-a-lang-a-lang FLOOR TOM a-lang

those beats in bold are when he plays the cymbal and high tom in unison and the underlined is the rim click

by the way, there did you get the notation, did you do this yourself?

Boomka

Platinum Member
I just did those up on Sibelius. Obviously, that's just a skeleton of what's happening and is based on what he settles into after the 6:00 mark. There are plenty of variations as when he plays the floor tom on 2 of the second bar with his right hand, but the overall groove is what I was going for above, not a note-for-note transcription of the whole section. Elvin played a lot of very similar stuff on different recordings over the years. BTW, the first high tom is almost never on "4" if you were counting it in 6/8, it anticipates the downbeat of "5" (or 1 of the second bar of 3/4). Note that his tom part essentially mimics the piano vamp. As for the rim click, I used crosses for those when I was typing it out, but apparently it didn't save that way and they became note heads.

I've attached a transcription of a couple of the variations he's playing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I just did those up on Sibelius. Obviously, that's just a skeleton of what's happening and is based on what he settles into after the 6:00 mark. There are plenty of variations as when he plays the floor tom on 2 of the second bar with his right hand, but the overall groove is what I was going for above, not a note-for-note transcription of the whole section. Elvin played a lot of very similar stuff on different recordings over the years. BTW, the first high tom is almost never on "4" if you were counting it in 6/8, it anticipates the downbeat of "5" (or 1 of the second bar of 3/4). Note that his tom part essentially mimics the piano vamp. As for the rim click, I used crosses for those when I was typing it out, but apparently it didn't save that way and they became note heads.

I've attached a transcription of a couple of the variations he's playing.
yeah, i had a feeling that understanding what i said whould be difficlut. I think i can play it, but describe it over the internet? Forget about it!!
Ya the best in this one is more what i was talking about, really cool groove when you get comfortable with it i'd say, which hopefully i will. I have always loved this hi hat pattern, real unique to elvin....well, when he did it, it was, maybe not today. But even now i barely hear drummers use this great phrasing, nice waltz feel/ Another thing, this might just be me, but when he plays that forst hi hat chick, is it off the beat? I have been playing it on the beat, but listening i think it comes a bit brisker and in just before the beat, which makes comping just that much harder!

Last edited:

Boomka

Platinum Member
yeah, i had a feeling that understanding what i said whould be difficlut. I think i can play it, but describe it over the internet? Forget about it!!
Ya the best in this one is more what i was talking about, really cool groove when you get comfortable with it i'd say, which hopefully i will. I have always loved this hi hat pattern, real unique to elvin....well, when he did it, it was, maybe not today. But even now i barely hear drummers use this great phrasing, nice waltz feel/ Another thing, this might just be me, but when he plays that forst hi hat chick, is it off the beat? I have been playing it on the beat, but listening i think it comes a bit brisker and in just before the beat, which makes comping just that much harder!
He plays both. You can hear him sneak it in before the beat (the rim knock) on the intro section, and you can see the hihat altering during the closeup at 5:57 onward.

Oh, and as for communicating, have you thought about learning to write/transcribe? The whole point is so that things can be communicated without all the confusing verbiage.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
He plays both. You can hear him sneak it in before the beat (the rim knock) on the intro section, and you can see the hihat altering during the closeup at 5:57 onward.

Oh, and as for communicating, have you thought about learning to write/transcribe? The whole point is so that things can be communicated without all the confusing verbiage.
this is going to be embarrasing but i actually can transcribe! well, for the most part. I can read quite well, but i have my own way of transcribing, but It should only take a few days to get the proper notations down, so over the summer! :)