Can Sabian APX be used along with B8s?

HMNY

Silver Member
If you're planning to buy the APX at a store, and not online, why not take a B8 along to play alongside the APX?

SquadLeader

Gold Member
I don't get what do you mean by 'ripple in the space-time continuum'. What would that mean?
Sarcastic humour my dear friend !!
He's saying you might cause a black hole or something such...
But what he's actually saying is "of course Sabian APX can be used along with B8s"
Well...I hope so....cos that's how I read it
:)

saisagar

I wouldn't do it. It might cause a ripple in the space-time continuum. Think about it...B8 and APX...it's just wrong on so many levels, especially considering the fact that they're made out of the same alloy.
I don't get what do you mean by 'ripple in the space-time continuum'. What would that mean?

have APX regular 14" hats, 18" crash and 20" crash. i don't find them to be particularly louder than any other cymbal.

where do you plan to get them ? they are getting to be hard to find.
Here, http://www.musiciansmall.in/advanced_search_result.php?SearchInput=sabian+apx&x=0&y=0
...have a range of cymbals...
Can I have some?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I wouldn't do it. It might cause a ripple in the space-time continuum. Think about it...B8 and APX...it's just wrong on so many levels, especially considering the fact that they're made out of the same alloy.

drstrangefunk

i have APX regular 14" hats, 18" crash and 20" crash. i don't find them to be particularly louder than any other cymbal.

where do you plan to get them ? they are getting to be hard to find.

wombat

I have a range of cymbals and often swap them round to keep things "fresh"..... I rarely have the same brand let alone "type" of cymbal and it works fine.

I may be wrong...but in terms of "loudness" by which im guessing volume I dont think it matters what the cymbals are... B8 or APX

The "quality" of the sound will be different and things like resonance, "timbre" etc and once you get your first "better quality" ( in saying that nothing wrong with B8s) cymbal you will be keen to get more because of the "quality" of the sound rather than "loudness"

I have kept a brass Paiste PST3 splash because I like the sound and it sits in fine with my Zlidjian A's K's and Bosphorous (es ? is that the plural ?)

Any which way you should be learning to play your cymbals in different ways..not just hitting them "hard" all the time...doing so you limit your playing and the different "sounds" you can get out of any one cymbal.

Just by the by you dont have to be a heavy hitter to get a big sound.... theres a law of diminishing returns..ie beyond a certain point hitting em harder makes no difference.

cheers

saisagar

That's really for your ear to decide mate. Personal taste dictates. I can certainly hear the difference between a pro level B8 and an entry level B8, but that doesn't mean they can't work together either, if that's your thing. Sometimes contrast works great.

I'd suggest that rather than buying more cheaper B8's, you're better off starting to upgrade though. Whether that upgrade is to APX or something else altogether is up to you. But look to the future and don't worry about things matching or not matching entry level cymbals. Simply put, most drummers don't play them forever anyway.
Yeah, I will check out them in-store after my exams.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I mean that I have heard that APX are really loud, won't B8s sound too tiny against the mighty APXs?
That's really for your ear to decide mate. Personal taste dictates. I can certainly hear the difference between a pro level B8 and an entry level B8, but that doesn't mean they can't work together either, if that's your thing. Sometimes contrast works great.

I'd suggest that rather than buying more cheaper B8's, you're better off starting to upgrade though. Whether that upgrade is to APX or something else altogether is up to you. But look to the future and don't worry about things matching or not matching entry level cymbals. Simply put, most drummers don't play them forever anyway.

saisagar

Sabian APX are B8 alloy. Just manufactured to a higher standard. No reason why they can't work together.

That said, there's no reason why any two cymbals can't work together.....whether they be Sabian or otherwise.
I mean that I have heard that APX are really loud, won't B8s sound too tiny against the mighty APXs? if both are hit at the same time, won't the output (audible) be as good as one APX being hit? Thanks anyways you have risen my hopes...

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Sabian APX are B8 alloy. Just manufactured to a higher standard. No reason why they can't work together.

That said, there's no reason why any two cymbals can't work together.....whether they be Sabian or otherwise.

saisagar

I have the following Sabian B8s : | 20" ride | 16" thin Crash | 14" Hi-hats |
I would like to buy the APX 16" Ozone crash and the 18" China,
So would the APXs be loud enough to drown the B8s?
If so, then should I rather buy B8 pros, get more B8s or look into other brands?
(16"/18" crash and 14"/16"/18" china)
I am a hard-hitter, but the B8s have survived for 2 years and I do like the sound.

Thanks to you all for your time and help.