Can bass drum technique influence stool height?

Zoofie

Hey all
I play heel up when i go into faster double bass and lift my heel up more so than if i was doing slower double bass for example.
Now when i do this , my thighs are quite high and gets in the way if i want to do blast beats for eaxample. So a few questions
1) Is it best to sit quite high when playing heel up?
2) Where on the stool do you guys sit who play heel up (is in right in the middle , near the back) etc etc.
3) What angle do you have your legs at when playing heel up?

Sorry , my wording is atrocious :p

Cheers! :)

T

TheArchitect

1 - Thighs paralle to ground tohips just slightly higher than the knees
2 - You want your butt centered on the throne. Be as balanced on the throne as possible. Never sit on the edge of the throne. Doing so forces you to use your feet to maintain balance. You want to be balanced on the throne without needing your feet to keep you from falingl over

mcbike

Silver Member
I think I have an unusual bass drum techinique but this is how I would describe mine.

I use a motorcycle style throne (roc n soc nitro) it allows more movement in the legs.
I find it better to sit higher up, I do sit higher than most drummers even. I think that sitting higher than parallel gives you more power. It is also easier to play heel up when you don't have to hold your leg up at 90 degrees. Do this test, stand up hold your leg straight out with your knee bent at 90 degrees with your thigh parallel to the ground. feel the burn?

okay now stand up hold your leg at a less than parallel angle to the ground, with your knee bent at a larger than 90 degree angle. It is more comfortable right? less burn?

my knees are not at a 90 degree angle, more close to 110.

my technique is a combination of power from the hip dropping the leg

power from the knee (straighten your knee and it pushes your foot forward) I feel like most of my power comes from this movement. I cannot get power from the knee when my knees are at 90 degrees. putting my seat back from the kick a little I'm able to get this power.

power from the ankle this is also the fastest muscle in my leg so it's a big component of speed.

I usually start with my toe 3/4 of the way up the footboard and as I straighten my knee out my foot is pushed down and foward towards the chain. When I play fast doubles the first stroke is knee, the second stroke is ankle.

Squig

I think I have an unusual bass drum techinique but this is how I would describe mine.

I use a motorcycle style throne (roc n soc nitro) it allows more movement in the legs.
I find it better to sit higher up, I do sit higher than most drummers even. I think that sitting higher than parallel gives you more power. It is also easier to play heel up when you don't have to hold your leg up at 90 degrees. Do this test, stand up hold your leg straight out with your knee bent at 90 degrees with your thigh parallel to the ground. feel the burn?

okay now stand up hold your leg at a less than parallel angle to the ground, with your knee bent at a larger than 90 degree angle. It is more comfortable right? less burn?

my knees are not at a 90 degree angle, more close to 110.

my technique is a combination of power from the hip dropping the leg

power from the knee (straighten your knee and it pushes your foot forward) I feel like most of my power comes from this movement. I cannot get power from the knee when my knees are at 90 degrees. putting my seat back from the kick a little I'm able to get this power.

power from the ankle this is also the fastest muscle in my leg so it's a big component of speed.

I usually start with my toe 3/4 of the way up the footboard and as I straighten my knee out my foot is pushed down and foward towards the chain. When I play fast doubles the first stroke is knee, the second stroke is ankle.
Minus the roc n so throne, this describes my set up exactly. I got the idea of sitting slightly higher, and slightly further away from the bass drum from Flo Mournier. It helps my balance and I find that higher speeds, using more ankle motion, are easier like this than with my previous knees-at-90-degree set up.

Sawyer

Are there ANY advantages to sitting low like this?

Thanks!
That's definitely the fastest drumming I've ever seen in a song application!

This is what I would say in regards to throne height:

TheArchitect said:
1 - Thighs parallel to the ground (lowest) to hips just slightly higher than the knees (highest)
2 - You want your butt centered on the throne. Be as balanced on the throne as possible. Never sit on the edge of the throne as doing so forces you to use your feet to maintain balance. You want to be balanced on the throne without needing your feet to keep you from falling over.
His throne position enables him to play heel up or down and gives him optimum balance when playing heel up. I woudn't consider his throne height low - it's only low in comparison to a drummer with longer legs (and thus a higher throne height at 90 degrees).

Fiery

Silver Member
Cheers for the insight guys!
I was look at George Kollias and it seems he sits very low down (am i right)?
And his knees seem at 90 degrees (?)?

This is the video btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SouFnUAuLc&feature=related

Are there ANY advantages to sitting low like this?

Thanks!
George sits somewhat above where his thighs would be parallel to the ground, so it's not so low.
Dave Lombardo is one of the double kick monsters who does indeed sit pretty low:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvr2nuvtCpQ

For me, sitting lower means more weight behind each stroke, thus more power but also more energy spent on lifting legs. Sitting higher feels the opposite, it's easier to lift legs but there is less power. The happy medium for me is the height where my thighs are parallel to the ground when I lift my heels as high as I can while keeping the balls of my feet on the pedals. I keep the balls of my feet around one third to one half from the top of the foot board and I sit so my knees are somewhat behind my ankles, not directly above.

Zoofie

Thanks people!!! :)
So i've taken this knowledge and have been trying out different heights and throne positions.
If im unbalanced where im falling backward a bit , does that mean im too low , to far away , to close etc etc?

Thanks!

T

TheArchitect

Generally your a little too low but difficult to say without seeing it.