Can anyone identify these Mapex drums?

Jml

I think they may be the Q series. The QR had only four wraps, none in that color. Either way I think they’re cheap basswood. The seller won’t (or is too lazy to measure) give me the sizes. I talked him down to $100 but even at that price I think it’s too much.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
If you talked him down to $100 go for it. Where else are you going to find a beater kit that looks that new?
Based on the ratios I'm guessing 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x5.5, and 22x16.

Jml

Oops. My bad. It look like they ARE the QR series. They did have them in the Burgundy Steel wrap finish. All basswood drums. 12x9, 13x10, 14x5.5 snare, 16x16 and 22x16.

JustJames

Platinum Member
If you talked him down to $100 go for it. Where else are you going to find a beater kit that looks that new?
Based on the ratios I'm guessing 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x5.5, and 22x16.
Zackly!

How can you go wrong, even with entry level drums, for $100?

Or, another way, what deal have you found that eclipses this one?

Jml

Perhaps this kit, for slightly more. Lacquer finish as opposed to a wrap. It’s either basswood with outer maple ply, or all birch. Comes with hardware (no snare or cymbals). Only issue is fusion sizes - 10 and 12” rack toms, 14” floor tom.

Attachments

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Perhaps this kit, for slightly more. Lacquer finish as opposed to a wrap. It’s either basswood with outer maple ply, or all birch. Comes with hardware (no snare or cymbals). Only issue is fusion sizes - 10 and 12” rack toms, 14” floor tom.
That looks like it may be an older version than the first. I can't stand mounted floor toms so I would pass based on that alone.

Jml

I think the lacquer one may be older by a few years, but it’s a better wood. I can also buy something to put legs on the floor tom (although more $).

The seller of the first Mapex kit is now insisting for more $ just for the bass drum mount for the rack toms. So more than $100 for a shell pack and no other hardware.

Jml

Can anyone confirm if the second kit (Mapex M series with rectangular badge) is a basswood with outer maple ply, or actually a birch kit? If it is basswood with an outer maple ply, other than the finish, is there any reason that would be preferable over an all basswood kit?