Can anyone ID this Ludwig Snare?

davelan

Anyone? It's 15x7.5", serial number: 2092065. It was sold to me as brass (but looks bronzey, I think[?] - I understand the 'B' stamp had different meanings at different times). I'm assuming it's half decent as I'm led to believe that it was used for drum clinics/a short tour in the UK by Doane Perry in the late 80s/early 90s (the provenance appears to be reliable as I bought it from a music promoter friend who's had it in storage since around that time).

That's what I know but I don't know the model, accurate vintage or approximate value.

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers

D.

Attachments

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It's a bronze LB-552 Supra, and assuming the badge and throwoff are original, it would be 1983 or a little earlier.

Bermuda

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Are you sure it's 7.5" deep? That would be one very unique drum if so. I suspect measurements were taken with the hoops on though and it's actually a 14x6.5" shell.

If so, the round muffler knob and rounded B/O badge with high 7 digit serial number seems to denote a drum made circa late 70's/early 80's to me. From what I understand, at that time the "B" was stamped above both brass and bronze drums, so your thoughts of it being bronze are entirely feasible (certainly looks bronze).

I'd like to hear from Steve B before I said anything was certain though.. If he doesn't chime in soon, send a PM to forum member tamadrm. If he can't help....then no-one can. :)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The Ludwig sn guide (probably 99% accurate) suggests the drum is closer to 1980.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
looks to be 6.5 to me
And me.....add that to the fact that Ludwig never mass produced a 7.5" deep spun shell and I reckon I'd almost bet the farm on this one.

But that said, if there's one company renowned for some weird, wonderful, confusing and at times, downright strange things....it's Ludwig.

davelan

You're dead right, of course: those measurements are way off (turns out there's a bit missing off the end of the tape measure!). It's actual a more-usual 14x6.5".

Thanks for the responses so far, folks: I'm well pleased as I bought this along with what appears to be a late 80s/early 90s seven-piece DW kit, a full set of Sabians (AAs/HHs - two crashes, hats, ride and chinese) and Gibraltar rack hardware for £1k - that's not bad, right?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Bermuda had it right.LB 552 14x6.5 bronze shell,1980 or so vintage.Great drum.As far as provenance( no insult intended),you'll need more than a music promoters say so.

Ludwig used the B and then the BZ for bronze stamp above the muffler knob, later to avoid confusing brass and bronze.( which according to Bill Ludwig Sr. sounded the same)

They have a fat woody sound that's very "unmetal like" what ever that is.As far as value,they have actually come up in price over the last couple of years,with some 6.5" drums selling for almost the same as black beautys.

Steve B

davelan

Bermuda had it right.LB 552 14x6.5 bronze shell,1980 or so vintage.Great drum.As far as provenance( no insult intended),you'll need more than a music promoters say so.

Ludwig used the B and then the BZ for bronze stamp above the muffler knob, later to avoid confusing brass and bronze.( which according to Bill Ludwig Sr. sounded the same)

They have a fat woody sound that's very "unmetal like" what ever that is.As far as value,they have actually come up in price over the last couple of years,with some 6.5" drums selling for almost the same as black beautys.

Steve B

Thanks, Steve.

On the provenance issue (not that it is really much of an issue as far as I'm concerned), the guy in question is a trusted friend from my school days who also thinks he may have some old insurance documents and the like laying around which confirm the history (and it isn't like he could have used this detail as any kind of leverage - I'd never even heard of Perry until he dropped the name post-sale, although I see from his Wiki that he's been in demand with some big acts).

B-squared

Silver Member

Steve B
Steve, I always like your anecdotes about Bill, Sr. My first drum teacher knew him and he had a bunch of Bill, Sr. stories too. The man was a great drummer as well as a great businessman and drum maker.