Came Upon...

jofizzm

This pick and thought it was pretty neat. Then saw a comment on the pic reading "Yamaha = wet cardboard. No self respecting drummer/musician plays Yamaha"...ignorance like that makes me RAGE!

Yeah, that's it. Just a cool finish demo.

slowrocker

Silver Member
Probably a person who had bought a jacked-up used set of Yamahas without checking them out and then says they are trash. I don't own Yamaha drums but I do love their sets. Very nice and reliable.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Yeah...sounds like sour grapes to me.I have played a few Yamaha kits,including an early 90's RC kit and it was a great set of drums.Tone for days.

Steve B

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I like pretty much all Yamaha gear. Ok, I admit, it's mainly their hardware I like, but their drums have an honesty that I like too. Never trying too hard to be something they're not.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Their upper tiers are overpriced, IMO. But it gives those who value bragging rights something to shoot for.

Sparkboss

opinions are just that. opinions

Don't let one's naivety anger you - first of all anger is very contageous! It will spread to others and return to you for compounding anger (heheheh my anger theory)

And secondly his ignorance will only make his own life less entertaining and intolerable!

just a little bit of wisdom! Maybe i should be a shaolin monk

Sparkboss

Actualy, wanna know how much of a wise man i am??

Yamaha isn't my preferencial brand either, but i am open minded - they still make quality sets, just not the ones for me :)

cutaway79

Silver Member
I have a set of early 80s Recording Customs as my main kit right now, and I have to say, when I'm playing by myself, the toms sound sooooo nice. There's a good deal of tone and resonance, but it's very controlled. Yet once I start playing with a full band, all that controlled tone and resonance goes right out the window, and the drums just kind of sound flat and lifeless (though, to be fair, I haven't heard them from out front). And the bass drum has just never really done anything for me. Maybe it's because it's a 14x22 (22x14?). But I just can't get any kind of depth from it, sound-wise. And I've tried multiple head/muffling/tuning combinations. I guess that's why they're called "Recording Customs"... Not a lot of "live" presence.

But yes, Yamaha hardware is the best stuff I've used so far. Though I like my Gibraltar cymbal arms with the break tilters.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
It's amazing how many different drums Yamaha has made over the years, not to mention all the other musical instruments.

Acoustic drums

Yamaha PHX

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute
Yamaha Recording Custom
Yamaha Rock Tour Custom
Yamaha Oak Custom
Yamaha Beech Custom
Yamaha Tour Custom
Yamaha Stage Custom
Yamaha Rock Tour
Yamaha GigMaker
Yamaha HipGig
[
Yamaha DTX series

DTXpress IV
DTXpress IIDTX (1996)
DTXpress (1999)
DTXpress II / DTXtreme II
DTXpress III / DTXtreme III (/2008)
DTXpress IV (2006)
DTXplorer
DTX-MULTI 12 (2009, drum pad)
DTX500K / DTX900K (2010, DTX-PAD model)
DTX550K / DTX950K (2011, DTX-PAD model)

DD-65 Digital Drum Kit (2007)DD series digital percussion
DD-3 (1993, 2 pads)
DD-5 (1988, 4 pads)
DD-6 / DD-7 (1990/1992, 4 pads)
DD-10 (1988, 8 mini pads, stereo speaker)
DD-9/DD-9M (1994, 4 pads)
DD-11/DD-12 (1991/1992, 8 pads)
DD-20/DD-20S/DD-20C (1995, 4 pads)
DD-35 (2001, 4 pads)
DD-45 / YDD-40 (2010 export model)
DD-50 (1996 export model ?)
DD-55 / DD-55C (2001/2004, 7 pads)
DD-65 (2007, 8 pads)

Here's the brief history of everything Yahama has had their hands in over time:

1897 Keyboard Instruments (reed organ, pianos in 1900)
1903 Furniture
1914 Harmonicas
1922 Audio Equipment (crank phonograph first)
1942 Guitars
1954 Small engines and vehicles/watercraft (YA-1 motorcycle first)
1959 Sporting Goods (starting with archery)
1959 Music Schools
1961 Metal alloys
1965 Band Instruments (trumpet first)
1971 Semiconductors
1984 Industrial Robots
2000 Recorded Music

GrowthMusic

I like pretty much all Yamaha gear. Ok, I admit, it's mainly their hardware I like, but their drums have an honesty that I like too. Never trying too hard to be something they're not.
Their hardware is the best out there, great stands (especially their snare stands) and racks. On par with DW's high-end rack systems.

MJD

Silver Member
I'm no fan of Yamaha drums but they do not sound like wet cardboard. They sound like good quality drums that are just a little off from the sound i'm looking for. Having said that, i used a yamaha kit for a good decade and never had an issue with it.