By-laws...and noise.......really???

sbowman128675

City of Chilliwack
Bylaw Information Guide
NOISE CONTROL
No person shall make, or cause or allow to be made, in or on a highway or elsewhere in the City, any noise or sound which disturbs or tends to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the public, neighbourhood or persons in the vicinity.
No person shall cause, permit or allow the following noises or sounds:
any noise or sound caused by, or made in the course of the construction, alteration, repair or demolition of any building, structure or thing, at any time on Sundays or on any day before 7:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
where a "Commercial" or "Industrial" zone borders a "Residential" zone, any noise or sound, the level of which exceeds 65 dBA during the night.
where a "Commercial" or "Industrial" zone borders a zone which is other than a "Residential" zone, any noise or sound, the level of which exceeds 80 dBA during the night.
any noise or sound emanating from an outdoor assembly or public address system between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. the level of which exceeds 90 dBA.
any noise or sound at night emanating from an outdoor assembly or public address system between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
The Noise Control Bylaw does not apply to:
the operation of an emergency vehicle proceeding upon an emergency;
the emergency repair of a public utility or highway by a utility company or by the City or its contractors;
the carrying on of a permitted agricultural operation;
the construction, alteration, repair or demolition of any building, structure or thing, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. of the same day, Monday to Saturday;
the operation of road maintenance equipment by the City or the Province, or their agents, including snow removal or highway cleaning operations;
operation of a public address system under a building or fire code;
the use of bells or chimes for the announcing of public worship services

OK…so I think that at least 90% of us drummers, well musicians, have faced this problem. Your fellow city livers complaining about noise. For the past 11 years I have been playing my drums in my room and for the past 3 of those I have used sound-proof baffles in my windows (already from a previous complaint). But now some old German man has moved into the old folks home behind us and wants to make it hard again. I Guess I just want to rant, because I am MAD!! Its ridiculous to try and pin this by-law crap on us. The only one that even starts to apply to what we are doing as musicians is, “any noise or sound emanating from an outdoor assembly or public address system between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. the level of which exceeds 90 dBA.” But HELLOOOOO!!!! A house is NOT mentioned in there!!! Can these old people actually pin that on us?? The only law I know of is 90db going past 11pm…..and my family has NEVER gone past that time when playing. On top of that, my dad is a well known musician in my town and has had bands over for 20+ years with no problem.

BYUDOG

City of Chilliwack
Bylaw Information Guide
NOISE CONTROL
No person shall make, or cause or allow to be made, in or on a highway or elsewhere in the City, any noise or sound which disturbs or tends to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the public, neighbourhood or persons in the vicinity.
THis is the part they use when the police show up. They will say that if someone complains that it is too loud then it has disturbed the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort and convenience of the public.

toddmc

Gold Member
Stories like this make me glad I use e-drums.
Here in Australia I believe it's a case of 3 strikes (ie written complaints to local council) and they slap you with a fine.

Toolate

Platinum Member
You are putting out a measured 90db from your soundproofed drum room? Outside the house?

Sounds like the soundproofing needs a little more proof.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I think you are in the right, but I don't see what anything has to do with his being German. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I used to live in the mountains. These old geezers would be outside at 7:00am revving up their chain saws and cutting and chopping wood, but the minute me and my buddies would set-up and play a few songs on the porch, here comes Johnny Law to tell us that we are disturbing the neighbors. "Take this as a warning, we don't want to come back here".

Nickropolis

I live in the city and haven't had any complaints against me for drumming. It's pretty much the same here, 7am and 11pm are the cutoffs for most things on most days, although I make a conscious effort to keep it between 10 and 10.

The penalty here for noise violation is I believe 3 complaints, $450 for the first fine, another offence is $900, they probably just kill you and make it look like an accident if you do it again.

Could be a good time to work on those brushes.

MasonTK

From what I've been told, none of those db numbers matter if people complain. The cops may sit outside and listen, and if they don't feel like it's an issue, they may walk away. However, if you're connected to another building (or close enough to it), they will likely make you stop, regardless of what it sounds like outside.

When I lived in an apartment the people below us would bang on their ceiling (our floor) when we vacuumed. One day (Saturday, 2pm) they called the cops because we were doing it for a good hour (we like a clean house). When I told the cops it was the vacuum, he said the guy works night shifts and sleeps during the day, so we had to shut it off until he was gone. Doesn't seem like laws even matter, they just don't want to deal with phone calls.

Good neighbors go a long way toward happiness.

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I practiced in my mothers house forever and never had a complaint. When I moved away to college and then moved back in to take care of my mom after college I started getting noise complaints from a new couple that had moved in next store. The cops showed up once and I told them I was gonna practice no matter what. So I simply went next store and explained to them that hey I was striving to be a pro musician and I had to practice. We set up a time schedule and everything was cool after that. Maybe have a nice chat with the guy and appeal to his soft side. Even if your good unless your a drummer when we practice it just sounds like noise to most people.

Thud

This bye law only seems to apply to people making a noise outside of a building and on the highway. There is nothing about people inside buildings making a noise, it all relates to external noise in the street.

A lot of the time complaints about noise are not really genuine. Some people just like to complain because it makes them feel good. It's up to individuals to look up the noise laws in their own area, don't just go by bar talk, actually look up what you are allowed to do.

For example in this country you are allowed to be noisy for short periods during the daytime, that's generally taken as being from 8 am to 6 pm. During this time people use radios and tv's, hi fi's, lawn mowers, electric drills and other domestic appliances. So playing drums is just one more noisy activity amongst others. To single out one particular noise from all the others can be seen as harassment. If people want to listen to music then musicians must be permitted to practice.
But the whole point is that it must be at reasonable hours and for short periods at a time.

sbowman128675

It just seems like a line has to be drawn somewhere between the law and opinion. I could spend thousnads on a REAL sound- proof wall and still get complaints that 35dbs are shitting over the old farts ears. Its not fair......I guess I cant even mow the lawn anymore or there gonna throw poop at us, or I cant start my Dads truck up, or have people over for a small party in my backyard.

This isnt a matter of me abiding by the law but just some people getting pissed cause their perfect little dream scape collapsed and they had to wake up to reality (Inception FTW).

Daisy

This is a "catch all" provision, but I would imagine the test for the second part (ie whether it "disturbs the quiet ... " etc) is objective not subjective. It's framed to allow for what's reasonable. No-one should have to put up with never having any peace and quiet, but on the other hand no-one can expect to live in total silence. It's a question of degree, and reasonableness.

My view is that the real problem with noise is not knowing when it will end, and the feeling that the noise maker is selfish and doesn't give a damn about you. That's what causes the stress of noise. That is the reason why agreeing practice times etc with neighbours usually does the trick, because you've demonstrated that you've considered them and they have a fixed period to put up with it.

There's really no reason why our neighbours should be bothered about our desire to become better drummers, if we're not bothered about their desire to have a mid morning nap, or practice their yoga or whatever.

Nickropolis

From what I've been told, none of those db numbers matter if people complain. The cops may sit outside and listen, and if they don't feel like it's an issue, they may walk away. However, if you're connected to another building (or close enough to it), they will likely make you stop, regardless of what it sounds like outside.

When I lived in an apartment the people below us would bang on their ceiling (our floor) when we vacuumed. One day (Saturday, 2pm) they called the cops because we were doing it for a good hour (we like a clean house). When I told the cops it was the vacuum, he said the guy works night shifts and sleeps during the day, so we had to shut it off until he was gone. Doesn't seem like laws even matter, they just don't want to deal with phone calls.

Good neighbors go a long way toward happiness.
Lol, sorry, if that was me I would have honestly told any officers on my doorstep to cram it up their ass. It's the guy's fault for having a lame job and he is the exception, not you.

A

audiotech

There's really no reason why our neighbours should be bothered about our desire to become better drummers, if we're not bothered about their desire to have a mid morning nap, or practice their yoga or whatever.
The BIG difference here is that their mid morning naps won't keep you awake or annoy you. Who really knows if they might be on a different shift or time schedule than you are. I've heard these situations quite frequently were a drummer moves into a quiet neighborhood and all hell breaks loose, especially if he or she has no concerns for others that have lived there for years. As you mentioned earlier, the people complaining have No idea when the noise is going to crop up or when it will be put to rest and it really is a jolting experience depending on where he lives in relation to you. At the very least, you must try to open lines of communications.

I've been playing drums for more than fifty years and only got a knock on the door once about fifty years ago because I was interfering with a high school marching band practice, lol. I guess our tempos clashed.

Dennis

zarrdoss

Gold Member
We have just about the same laws here. We moved into a neighborhood with mainly older retired people. Luckily the house is all brick and I boarded up the window and sound proofed as well as I could. You can hear it faintly from the street at full tilt. I am friends wit one of my neighbors that is in the house next to me and he said he has never heard me from inside his house or in the yard for that matter. I still never play before 10 in the morning or past 7 in the evening, I have an e-kit for that. I have to put up with my neighbors barking dog at 5 in the morning so that better never complain. Eventually we will move to the country or buy a house and make a isolated drum room in the basement and I can play anytime.

Daisy

The BIG difference here is that their mid morning naps won't keep you awake or annoy you. Who really knows if they might be on a different shift or time schedule than you are.
Dennis
Quite - that's why, like you say, you have to open those lines of communication. I only play my kit during the daytime and I've spoken to all my neighbours. A few times, when I've had a guitarist or someone round to practice together in the evening, I put a note through all the neighbours' doors, telling them the date, time we would finish at the latest, and saying if that date caused a particular problem (they might have been planning a quiet dinner party or something) then they should let me know and I would re-schedule. I include my phone number. They probably think "Oh, that's very nice of her to be so considerate" and cut me a bit more slack as a result. It doesn't take much to keep the neighbours onside. (Unless they are just really horrible people, and there's really not much you can do about that. I just think most people aren't actually horrible).

wesporter

I have practiced in my mom and dads basement for about 18 years. It's loud lol. You can hear it a block away. However I've never had ONE noise complaint. I guess I just have very nice neighbors. Actually the only thing I've ever heard from neighbors has been complimentary. They mostly say they enjoy listening. Just very blessed I guess.

Ekim

Silver Member
I've had jerk neighbors in the past.

Since I live alone, I worry about not being ABLE To hear the pigs when they bang on my door if I'm playing. They'll probably just leave a ticket on the door and leave. Or break in.

Maybe I need a killer Rottie too.

NC68

My neighbor knocked on my door at 2:30 AM this morning. Can you believe that? 2:30 AM! Luckily for him I was still up playing my drums.