Buying used cymbals

dmacc

Platinum Member
What's in that pack? Is it 14" New Beats, 16" & 18" Med/thin crashes and a Sweet ride, yeah? Good choice of cymbals if so.
If that's the set, sounds like a good deal to me.

As long as they are cared for, A's will hold good value and can potentially be life long cymbals.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I see what you mean about there are some good ones but for Zildjian and sabian which are the companies I was talking about, just avoid the b8 except for the APX as you said, but I don't think those sound particularly great. That's just an opinion.
Paiste have been making professional-grade B8 cymbals since the late 60s. Matt Nolan makes a lot of his cymbals out of B5, B8 and B10 alloys. The alloy is never the deciding factor when it comes to cymbals, it's all in the manufacturing.

baz

Silver Member
Thanks Barry!

Are there any major differences in the brands? Obviously some will like one brand better than another, but in general are there any differences?
...You're welcome Mike.

If your question was partially aimed at me, I have to be honest and tell you that I have never been able to pick out a brand, series, or size difference just from hearing a cymbal. I would bet that the vast majority of drummers out there would admit the same.

The thing about drummers, cymbals, drum sounds etc is that they are all somewhat unique and hard to pidgeon hole. What I like, others might hate, and the sound that makes another want to play untill he/she passe out might make me want to help them pass out. Music is so personal and subjective, but then again, I am just stating the obvious. I can never reccomend one cymbal over another, that is why my answer to questions such as this are so generic. Kind of like a Republican Presidential candidates answer in a primary debate.

As I said before about my cymbals. It took years before they became my cymbals. I believe that they chose me moreso than I chose them. Believe me, I went through a lot of clunkers to get to the gems.

Unless you have unlimited cash, my suggestion would be to fight your impulse when it comes to the cymbals that you would settle for, over the ones that truly hit you in that have to have spot.

Once again, good luck and good drumming.

Barry

Last edited:

brentcn

Platinum Member
"(APX isn't considered entry level). I'm guessing there's probably a few boutique makers that do too.

Just thought it worth clarifying. The "avoid anything B8" comes up often. It's a common misunderstanding......but it's only true in part. :)
The Sabian APXs certainly sound beginner to me! Are they stamped from sheet bronze? They all have that harsh, "someone-forgot-to-turn-the-TV-off" quality. I suppose it's possible to get a good one, though.

Agreed on the B8. Can we add Paiste PSTs to the "cheap beginner cymbals" list?

It bears repeating about going over the edge of the cymbal and feeling for small nicks. Those little nicks are likely to turn into cracks down the road.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
The Sabian APXs certainly sound beginner to me! Are they stamped from sheet bronze? They all have that harsh, "someone-forgot-to-turn-the-TV-off" quality. I suppose it's possible to get a good one, though.
Don't know a hell of a lot about them to be honest. Out of "the big three" I have the least experience with Sabian cymbals, having never actually owned one. My exposure to the APX line comes from guys like Bermuda and Karl Carfton. Happy to be wrong with it, but I just couldn't imagine either of those guys playing entry level anything and just naturally assumed they were a few rungs up the pecking order.

And yes, IMHO the PST series are defintely entry level. I know many feel they are the "lesser of the entry level evils." But personally speaking, as far as B8 goes I'd much prefer the tones of a 2002 or GB any day.

Mike7300

The cheapest I can find that set for is $650, with A Fast Crashes instead of Med/Thins. Unless he has an inside source...
musicians friend has it for 650 and 15% off of that until 2/28, and free shipping.

Says it comes with:
14" New Beat Hi-hats, 16" A Fast Crash, 21" Sweet Ride, plus a Free 18" A Fast Crash.

And rocknrollvintage.com has it for $550 free shipping, and no tax if ordered from out of state.

Richard.J

Hit your local GC or fav shop and bang on a few cymbals. Try them all, group them and whack them. Pick the ones you like. Go home happy.
I've had issues with buying off CL, buying and not hearing them is a waste of money, rarely do you get something that you really like and that works with what you have. Even being in "pick up only" distance, getting there, hearing it and it not being what you need, is a waste of time (not counting gas money).

Ebay, samething, pot luck.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
musicians friend has it for 650 and 15% off of that until 2/28, and free shipping.

Says it comes with:
14" New Beat Hi-hats, 16" A Fast Crash, 21" Sweet Ride, plus a Free 18" A Fast Crash.

And rocknrollvintage.com has it for $550 free shipping, and no tax if ordered from out of state.

That is a good price and you won't be disappointed.

Steve_tx

...Just know how to set them up accordingly. Don't overtighten them on stand. Have an angle to them and glancing blows. Cracking can happen, and worse yet muscle/nerve damage from improper set up....
While we're on this topic, what about setting up my cymbals without the bottom-side felt pads? When I setup like this, I hear a crisper sound and I like the look of how the cymbals swing without the bottom felts. My Tama cymbal stands have a plastic bell-shaped landing for the cymbal to rest on.

Am I doing any potential damage or shortening the life of my cymbals going without bottom-side felts?

Thanks for any input.

Nick G.

i recently bought a "1 week old, as new, pristine k custom ride", unfortunately it came with a small crack in the bell, the seller was reluctant to refund me, but a claim was made through ebay and everything worked out okay, sent the cymbal back and got the money back, no loss on my part.

basically what im saying is, along as you buy a cymbal that doesnt have imperfections (or anything the seller can fall back on) ebay/paypal should keep you on the good side. and dont get angry during the conversation.

and in my opinion, any top tier cymbal is going to sound good unless its a very specific sound that you personally dont like.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
While we're on this topic, what about setting up my cymbals without the bottom-side felt pads? When I setup like this, I hear a crisper sound and I like the look of how the cymbals swing without the bottom felts. My Tama cymbal stands have a plastic bell-shaped landing for the cymbal to rest on.

Am I doing any potential damage or shortening the life of my cymbals going without bottom-side felts?

Thanks for any input.
I don't know without seeing the plastic rest piece but at the price of cymbals I wouldn't take the chance. After it starts to wear, if it does, it's too late. I don;t think the felt would kill that much of the cymbals sound.

tamadrm

Platinum Member

Thanks for any input.
Forget looks,and put some felts under those cymbals.You need something to dampen the vibration somewhat,or you will start getting cracks around the bell,and bow.The bell shaped plastic is to aid the cymbal in disapating the energy and vibration,like a silencer on the limbs on a bow.

Steve B

tamadrm

Platinum Member

Thanks for any input.
Forget looks,and put some felts under those cymbals.You need something to dampen the vibration somewhat,or you will start getting cracks around the bell,and bow.The bell shaped plastic is to aid the cymbal in disapating the energy and vibration,like a silencer on the limbs on a bow.Without anywhere to go,the cymbal will absorb most of the energy of a blow,and start to crack.

Steve B

ronyd

Silver Member
I just purchased 16" and 18" slightly used Paragon crashes at my local drum shop. Saved $100 each cymbal. Now thats a good deal. Also purchasing the Paragon 14 hats slightly used, again $100 savings. With the additional savings, I'll put that toward a Paragon ride. New may be real shiny, but for all purposes sound should be the same I would think.

I took the used advice off this forum and definitely good advice.

csnow

I have found that the cheapest place to buy used cymbals is from the Guitar Center's website in the Used Gear section. I have bought many pro level Paiste 2002'/Signatures and Sabian HH /HHX pies from them in addition to a 6 piece Tama StarClassic and a 9 piece vintage Ludwig Classic kit. Prices are usually cheaper than eBay, and I dont have to keep hoping something will pop up in my local area on Craigslist. I have found some stellar deals on there. The best deal was a signature edition Phil Collins raw bell Sabin HH ride for $80 bucks! In addition, if you dont like the cymbal when you receive it, you can return it to your local Guitar Center. They have the largest selection of used gear on the web, including eBay. And no, I dont work there or have any affiliation with GC, just a very satisfied customer.

Hope this helps....

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

Chris