Buying my first drum set!

80's Rocker

Hey there everybody! First post here on the forums!

I have been a guitar player for 3 years now and am having more fun with it than anything else in the world. Lately tho I have struck up an interest in drumming and have been messing with the set at my school. With the holidays coming up I figure it's time for be to become a drummer! What are things to look out for when buying my first set? Are there any recommendations for a good first set that a lot of people get?

I had been considering a new Pearl Soundcheck set, or perhaps buying a used Pearl Export set. Anybody have any experience with either of these sets? Part of me has my heart set on Pearl but I would be open to other brands as well. I am going to be playing 70's-80's Rock and Roll music...lots of KISS and Aerosmith. If anybody could give me some advice on purchasing my first set, maybe things I will need, or good starter sets or what not, I would really appreciat it!

Lunar Satellite Brian

I wouldn't suggest Pearl, good drums, but over priced.
Taye would be a good beginner set that you'll be able to use for well after your beginner years.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hmm. You'll get alot of vague answers with this one. Best bet: look at what you want and then compare to other drum kits in the same price range, then at least you'll be in the same class of kit.

But on a more basic level, any set of drums will do with good heads and tuning. It's the cymbals you need to spend the money on. This is where we separate the men from the boys (or the girls from the women). Invest at least $900 in your set of basic cymbals and then we can talk.

i have a pearl soundcheck and while i love them, i would have to agree that they are overpriced especially for a beginner. I have mine sounding quite good, but like Bo said its all in the heads and tuning. Ive heard really good exports and then heard some bad ones.

its the cymbals thatll get you...

harryconway

Platinum Member
Kiss and Aerosmith​
By used....​
Landed, for $435. Waaaaaay better drums than anything you're gonna get outta Guitar Center .... for $435.​
Throw a stain on those shells, add a hardware/cymbal pack .... you'll have a pro-level drum kit. Perfect for 80's Kiss tunes. And as you get better ... as a drummer .... add 10 concert toms to the kit ... put on some Kubuki makeup ... and you'll be Peter Criss.​
Here's a 80's Kramer style kit. Quite a bit more than the Pearl (hey, it's a Ludwig), it's a bit overpriced, I'd offer the cat less ... maybe he'd go for it. Either kit, you will be living the 80's.​

80's Rocker

Hmm I'll take a look a look at those sets you linked! I really am not the kind of guy to wann have crappy equipment and really have to upgrade it constantly. I bought a 1986 Marshall halfstack after I had been playing guitar for 1 year lol. So I really do like to sound good.

From what you guys are saying on heads, symbols and tuning, what heads and symbols would you recommend?

Oh also just to mention it lol, I really am more of a 70's guy with the Aeosmith, KISS, and I will probably play a lot of Led Zeppelin too. I named myself 80's Rocker just because it's what I use on my other guitar forums from when i was really into hair metal a couple years back lol. Usually I am one to try a bunch of stuff out myself, listen to soundclips etc, wrather than ask what's good...but I literelly know next to nothing about drums right now except they are fun, and soundclips online always sound different from person to person.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
No kit suggestions but I would rethink my use of the word "symbols" when talking about "cymbals" :)

Quote "From what you guys are saying on heads, symbols and tuning, what heads and symbols would you recommend?"

80's Rocker

No kit suggestions but I would rethink my use of the word "symbols" when talking about "cymbals" :)

Quote "From what you guys are saying on heads, symbols and tuning, what heads and symbols would you recommend?"
XD lol good call.

I know how its suppose to be...sometimes I just don't think about what I am typing except for how it sounds lol. Good catch tho, I won't make that mistake again.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
XD lol good call.

I know how its suppose to be...sometimes I just don't think about what I am typing except for how it sounds lol. Good catch tho, I won't make that mistake again.
Spelling cymbals incorrectly is the most common mistake that is made.
I have done it myself a few times.

Bertram

Silver Member
So, on the heads, i'd recommend Coated Emperor as the top head. And Clear Ambassador on the bottom head. It's very typical for rock. - (atleast for led zep)
As for cymbals, it's really just to pick to your liking - (cymbals are really the expensive part of the kit - so you don't wanna upgrade them often - better buying the right shit from the beginning)
Okay, so Zildjian K, A,
Sabian HHX, or AA.
Paiste, giant beat, Twenty, Traditional, but dunno really. Haven't heard many of them.
Meinl - some of them are okay - i like the Byzance best.
Never heard the istanbul agop sultans - but many people adore those..
Myself im using Amedia - kinda new firm - but really strong in price, and handmade quality.

05WideGuy

If you can afford it, a Yamaha Stage Custom or Mapex Meridian, or Ludwig Epics and a set of XS20 cymbals. That would get you started and take ya all the way through to gigging out.

80's Rocker

Well I ended up winning an auction on ebay for a 6 piece Pearl Export set with some hardware for all the toms and a boom stand. By the time I had bought all my other new hardware, kick pedal, and throne I only had enough left to buy some Zildjian ZBT cymbals. I think for a first drumset tho overall it won't be too bad at all. My birthday is in March so I'll probably upgrade my cymbals then.

N

nhzoso

LOL, kind of went against all the advice but in the end it's your decision as long as your happy with it than it's all good. Congrats on the new kit bro.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The Pearl Export has long been a standard workhorse of a drumkit.
It is a good solid choice for a first kit.
As you progress your cymbal taste will develop and you will learn what your favorite cymbal types are.

80's Rocker

LOL, kind of went against all the advice but in the end it's your decision as long as your happy with it than it's all good. Congrats on the new kit bro.
Well for $390 and 6 pieces with hardware I just felt like thats what I should get lol. I just know I woulda never gotten around to finishing those first Pearl linked and that woulda been bad...

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Well I ended up winning an auction on ebay for a 6 piece Pearl Export set with some hardware for all the toms and a boom stand. By the time I had bought all my other new hardware, kick pedal, and throne I only had enough left to buy some Zildjian ZBT cymbals. I think for a first drumset tho overall it won't be too bad at all. My birthday is in March so I'll probably upgrade my cymbals then.
By the time your birthday comes around, believe me, you're gonna want something different than those ZBT's. I wouldn't buy anything less than a Xs20 Sabian myself.