Business Cards

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have been jamming around town for about a year. Occasionally someone asks me for my phone number.

So I have decided to make some business cards that I can hand out.

Here is my design. What do you think about the design.

FRONT:

BACK::

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
If it's a question, it needs a question mark. If it's a statement, then there's no need for the word "it"

Remember that drummer you liked? It was me.

Remember that drummer you liked was me.

Grammar aside. Looks good from where I'm sitting.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
If it's a question, it needs a question mark. If it's a statement, then there's no need for the word "it"
Remember that drummer you liked was me.
Grammar aside. Looks good from where I'm sitting.
Super.

Thanks !

I'll change it to:

Magenta

Platinum Member
As a founder-member of the Grammar And Punctuation Police, I saw your graphics and melted.

porter

Platinum Member
I love the front concept, but it looks pretty dated with the mishmash of gradients, different colors, and fonts. I'm not sure if you even need a back- just a one-color card with black or white text on the front, in one font, with the tagline, name, and contact info would IMO be great. Get it on a material that feels nice and substantial- that'll be more important than the actual colors IMO.

Somebody should get business cards that have a felt bottom and a little string loop that work as a snare dampener.

GeoB

Gold Member
Looks real good and original too. Card stock quality counts. We used to use cards to pick our teeth and set the points on the Chevy and even adjust string heights at the bridge on acoustic guitars. I guess that would be about .010 in... I like my cards to snap and pop.

BTW in case you are wondering - the UPS store prints up some nice stuff on quality card stock.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Sorry, but I'm not a fan of your design, and your message comes off as a bit too needy.

How about:
Jimmy Fernandez
Gigging drummer
Jimmy@drums.net

Add a cool graphic like this:

Then print it on this or this.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I just made some cards through moo.com and they have alot of cool template designs and your choice of stock papers. I made them primarily for my photography business, it only has my contact info anyway so I could use them for everything. I picked ten of my best female portraits and used those on the other side. Who wouldn't want a picture of Mo anyway?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Yeah, I may ditch the idea of text on the back of the card.

The snare dampener idea is great !
So is the wooden card idea.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I just made some cards through moo.com and they have alot of cool template designs and your choice of stock papers. I made them primarily for my photography business, it only has my contact info anyway so I could use them for everything. I picked ten of my best female portraits and used those on the other side. Who wouldn't want a picture of Mo anyway?
So what you have 10 pics of Monique on the back lol?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I would have the front read:

Remember that drummer you liked?
It was Jimmy Fernandez!

(phone # etc.)

It's less presumptuous, more concise.

I like the drum graphic, back side looks good!

Bermuda

JustJames

Platinum Member
Business cards need to say who you are, possibly what you do, and how to contact you.

Decent quality and weight paper (without getting to American Psycho levels of obsession).

The back should either have meaningful information or be white so that the recipient can write on it.

Free cards with advertising for the card printer are also a no-no.

Don't overthink it, don't overdo it. Simplest is best.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So what you have 10 pics of Monique on the back lol?
No. The deal was I could literally have a different picture for every card ordered. So what I did was take my ten best, and ordered a hundred cards. So I'll have ten cards each of each portrait. Monique is on ten of them, and the other nine are other females.

I had thought about using ten difference poses of Monique to use, but I don't have ten good ones, and that would just be creepy. The idea is to show I can make a portrait, so carrying around ten cards is like carrying around a small portfolio in my wallet. Pretty cool marketing idea, I thought ;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
No. The deal was I could literally have a different picture for every card ordered. So what I did was take my ten best, and ordered a hundred cards. So I'll have ten cards each of each portrait. Monique is on ten of them, and the other nine are other females.

I had thought about using ten difference poses of Monique to use, but I don't have ten good ones, and that would just be creepy. The idea is to show I can make a portrait, so carrying around ten cards is like carrying around a small portfolio in my wallet. Pretty cool marketing idea, I thought ;)
Yes definitely cool. I want your life.