Building my drumkit updates

veecharlie

So,

long time ago I made lots of questions about building a kit, including the finish.
I got LOTS of complains saying that me "a woman" can't do the job, neither I "have the skills" to do it because"it's a complicated job".
I laugh about all this anyways but I gained SO MUCH knowledge on the specific subject of drum shells, which was the "weak" spot of my knowledge. I needed to know in order to select exactly what I was looking for, especially in terms of drum plies and building methods which would determine my sound. For me, asking a drum builder and trust him is a way too lazy option.

Even got the chance to build and replace the kick of my Church's kit as a paid job (Turned up awesome, if you want some pictures tell me). I personally really enjoy building drums and hopefully I get to make a couple of extra projects like these. I defenitively want to add an extra 8" tom to my kit and some extra snares when I get the chance!

Not so long ago I was talking with a couple of friends and told me it was really pity I was not documenting the experience with my vlog or any type of "public" posts, as I wanted to keep it all secret until it was finished.
So I decided to make a little serie of videos with the updates of the kit coming along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md-Y6TXJ0Og

Next step is the paint job, my favorite part. I'll defenitively make an update and share it here, however it will take it's time as I'm busy with work and trips around.

Attachments

Reactions: dnt

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
What? A woman can't do the job huh? In the company I work for (we build PA speakers for a few major brands), most of the building and assembling is done by women. In fact, I would rather have women working for me than men because they can do it faster with more precision than just about any man I have put on my line. I only need men to do the heavy lifting. Good for you, build your drums, and don't let anyone tell you any different. Oh and by the way, I'm a man.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I don't recall anyone saying you couldn't do anything because you're a woman. That's quite a claim. Hopefully I'm right about that because it would be sad if someone here said that. Iirc you were asking about making your own ply shells as well as making custom lugs, and were advised against it as you had no tooling or experience to do so.

I'm happy that you have progressed in your building knowledge, and we are always interested in pics.

veecharlie

I don't recall anyone saying you couldn't do anything because you're a woman. That's quite a claim. Hopefully I'm right about that because it would be sad if someone here said that. Iirc you were asking about making your own ply shells as well as making custom lugs, and were advised against it as you had no tooling or experience to do so.

I'm happy that you have progressed in your building knowledge, and we are always interested in pics.
It’s not the only forum I asked, but I did get those type of comments, haven’t said exact words as it was long ago, but we well understand the context.

I’m still making my own drum hardware, because I can, I would also make my own drum shells if I had the intention to sell series, but as it’s not the case, I decided against it for financial logical reasons (not worth to build molds when you are not planning to sell more) and of course the high risk of screwing up the first shells as obvious reasons. It could be I would screw up the first two or 3 shells, and never see that money again. If you would build to sell then you are sure you can make that money up, if what I’m trying to say makes sense :)

By the way, I have all tools needed for hardware. Also as you see, I’ll do the bearing edges myself too. I do have the required knowledge and skills for that ;)

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
That's cool that you are making the hardware. Bearing edges are fun, but I think that's because I like to use my router any chance I get. I made a 4'x4' router table to do some big drums and some furniture projects I was working on. I'm always interested to see something like that. That thin 14x8 with the ebony looks like it's going to sound fat. Could be a good floor tom/snare hybrid.
Keep us posted.

veecharlie

That's cool that you are making the hardware. Bearing edges are fun, but I think that's because I like to use my router any chance I get. I made a 4'x4' router table to do some big drums and some furniture projects I was working on. I'm always interested to see something like that. That thin 14x8 with the ebony looks like it's going to sound fat. Could be a good floor tom/snare hybrid.
Keep us posted.
I do them very easy: put the shell in the 5 axis CNC and let the machine do all routing and drilling for me. Get maximum precision out of it, and therefore performance. Eliminating any significant "error" that might affect tuning and stability in that sector.

haha, yea the 14x8 is exactly that, snare-tom. I think the natural pitch of that shell makes is very versatile, I was really surprised how low pitched it is, so it will be perfect for that job!

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
If you have a CNC even better. The "snom" idea is cool. I have a 14x8 brass that I use for that purpose, but I think I would like a thin wood snare for that. I don't use it often so I haven't replaced it yet. Any pics of your hardware?

veecharlie

If you have a CNC even better. The "snom" idea is cool. I have a 14x8 brass that I use for that purpose, but I think I would like a thin wood snare for that. I don't use it often so I haven't replaced it yet. Any pics of your hardware?
How do you like the brass snare? I'm thinking to build a brass one in future. Seems to be a bit the hype in worship.

I'll try upload a rendering a bit later, I haven't routed the hardware yet as the materials didn't arrive yet. I want to have the shells painted first too...

veecharlie

Here is a quick rendering. Some details are still missing, but are not important, like the thick plastic washers and the pieces of hard rubber on the lugs. Actually, they are there but I put the wrong size when I did the picture. It's 1mm and it's supposed to be thicker.
Snare beds and bearing edges are obviously not in this rendering, as it was intended for a raw idea of how it should look like together.

Attachments

veecharlie

Your rendering looks awesome. I dig the little flowing grooves on the lugs. Does the snare butt say WARRIOR?

Thank you a lot! That's correct! There's also a "W" on the strainer but I'm still not far enough with the logo, so it's a bit representative... If I build my own kit I might as well add every single detail I'd wish for, right? ;P

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Thanks for the update Valentina! This is so cool. I love it when people endeavor to create something on their own terms...and then get it done! Super-inspiring!

Can we see pics of the bass drum you built for your church?

Also, are you planning to use two different types of wires/cable/guts/etc. with your dual strainer?

Jason

veecharlie

Thanks for the update Valentina! This is so cool. I love it when people endeavor to create something on their own terms...and then get it done! Super-inspiring!

Can we see pics of the bass drum you built for your church?

Also, are you planning to use two different types of wires/cable/guts/etc. with your dual strainer?

Jason

Yes sure! Here is a picture of the kick on service.

https://www.facebook.com/CLCRotterdam/photos/a.1225591807571493.1073741991.366998453430837/1225592014238139/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/CLCRotterdam/photos/a.427468580717157.1073741829.366998453430837/1212185928912081/?type=3&theater

I'm not really planning to use two different types of snare wires, but I wanted a 24 and a 40 in one. so.. two of 24 (at least that's the idea, I have to make a couple of modifications to make them fit together)

veecharlie

Update of the kit building:

3 months ago somebody really near passed away, I was literally already talking with aluminum suppliers for the hardware when this happened so I stopped. I had to use the money as well, so, that's why there was no update. I had to save back the money (you could buy a Starclassic only for the hardware), so it takes some time as well.

It has been a really difficult time, and to make it worse, the first time I ever lost somebody so near. Anyways...

I have decided to ask my partner to re-design some of the pieces of the kit. I am not satisfied of the snare mechanism, and also not yet happy with the floating tom system. Back to the drawing board, I hope I can make a video updating. With this, hopefully, in a couple of months, I can order the aluminum, send to CNC and anodizing (freaking expensive). After this, I will be adding some patina to give it a very special effect.

In anyways, thanks guys for sticking around. I learned to LOVE building drums and definitively want to build more.

IBitePrettyHard

Very sorry for your loss.

If you're feeling up to it, don't hesitate to post ideas about your build here. You could bounce ideas off us, maybe give us your thought process, what sound you're going for, help deciding which components to use, etc.

Good luck with the build! I look forward to future posts and/or videos.

dnt

So,

long time ago I made lots of questions about building a kit, including the finish.
I got LOTS of complains saying that me "a woman" can't do the job, neither I "have the skills" to do it because"it's a complicated job".
I laugh about all this anyways but I gained SO MUCH knowledge on the specific subject of drum shells, which was the "weak" spot of my knowledge. I needed to know in order to select exactly what I was looking for, especially in terms of drum plies and building methods which would determine my sound. For me, asking a drum builder and trust him is a way too lazy option.

Even got the chance to build and replace the kick of my Church's kit as a paid job (Turned up awesome, if you want some pictures tell me). I personally really enjoy building drums and hopefully I get to make a couple of extra projects like these. I defenitively want to add an extra 8" tom to my kit and some extra snares when I get the chance!

Not so long ago I was talking with a couple of friends and told me it was really pity I was not documenting the experience with my vlog or any type of "public" posts, as I wanted to keep it all secret until it was finished.
So I decided to make a little serie of videos with the updates of the kit coming along:

Next step is the paint job, my favorite part. I'll defenitively make an update and share it here, however it will take it's time as I'm busy with work and trips around.
So cool to see this! You go! 😎