Buddy Rich Memorial Concert

M

michael drums

I saw the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert...on my computer, anyway.

It was streamed from the show by drumchannel.com Saturday night, and was wondering if anyone actually attended the show at the Manhattan Center, in New York?

Tommy Igoe was fantastic! He did a great performance, as well as co-hosting the show with Buddys' daughter, Cathy Rich.

Buddys' grandson, Nick Rich, did a tremendous job behind his kit as well, though, admittedly, big band style is not his specialty.

John Blackwell was at his finest, doing his super-fast rolls, twirling his sticks, and really nailing his performance.

The Guitar Center drum-off winner Donnie Marple, was awesome! Wow! This kid' s got some serious talent. We will be hearing a lot more from this guy in the near future. And what a future he's got!

The great Terry Bozzio certainly didn't disappoint. He didn't have his usual massive kit, though it was the largest one of the evening. And he was spectacular. What can you say about TB, that hasn't already been said for years? His performance was so technically sound. Wonderful.

Then a surprise special guest...Peter Erskine! It was really great to see him there. And he was certainly a class act behind his kit. Love his style and positivity!

Chad Smith. This guy is FUN! I mean, he just explodes a good time for all! When he plays or when he speaks, he just has such a fantastic attitude. Love his sense of humor, as much as his powerful playing. Great to see him!

Then last, but certainly, not least, The Professor! Neil Peart did a commendable performance of a few Buddy tunes, and his own YYZ, with Jeff Berlin on bass. Just a great performance by him. No matter what anyone says.

What a tribute to BR! Just a fabulous event, thanks to Cathy Rich and Tommy Igoe. Hope it continues for years to come.

Well Done! ;-)

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
Michael:

good analysis! I am interested to hear what those folks who watched the event on the computer thought because live the event was truly spectacular. All of the perfomances were phenomenal. I confess that I had never seen Tommy Igoe play before but he was a total master both in his playing and his ability to lead the band. He may be the best big band player I have ever seen. I think John Blackwell stole the show, but I am biased. His original tune "Mind of J" was played with his keyboard player Corey and with Will Lee and Paul Pesco and was incredible. John Blackwell may be known for his funk but he proved to everyone that he can play jazz/swing/fusion with the best.

Donny Marple has a great future. His solo was incredible with great chops and a great groove and great showmanship. Also he is a truly nice guy, well grounded with no hint of arrogance. I predict that in only a few years there will many threads here devoted to him and that he will be listed in the featured drummer section here.

Terry was great and I loved his take on the Brecker Brothers "Some Skunk Funk." Pete Erskine was his usual flawless self. Chad Smith was great and his take on "Hocus Pocus" was fantastic as was his version of "Birdland." No-one has more fun when they play and no-one elevates the joy of music like Chad. Neil was great and the big band arrangement of YYZ brought the house down. Jeff Berlin was also great.

Nick Rich was a real surprise and I thought his performance was inspirational. His kit - made by the Buddy Rich drum comany - sounded fantastic and although he was not in his usual playing element he played with a great feel and with great respect for the music.

The band was also terrific and New York's finest horn players were on show. The rhythm section tore it up and Will Lee and Paul Pesco certainly set the bar for session players everywhere. Will's solo on "The Chicken" would have made Jaco proud.

It was a great night and other drummers popped in, either at rehearsal or on the night, to say hello and pay their respects. Carmine Appice, Jojo Mayer, Stanton Moore and many others dropped by. Don Lombardi of DW and The Drum Channel did a great job and I can't wait for the DVD which will be out in 2009. Kathy Rich was gracious and kind and is the best ambassador any father could ever wish for. I am sure I am forgetting somebody who also made the show great but if I am I apologize!

All in all, a wonderful show, put on by the warmest bunch of folks you could ever wish to be around. Phenomenal players playing great music. It made me proud to be a musician and to be involved in the business. And remember, most of those performances were done with less than an hour of rehearsal with the band!!! Unbelievable.

Paul

Last edited:
M

michael drums

Well said, Paul. Really good analysis there! And I concur with the thanks to Don Lombardi and drumchannel.com for a wonderful event!

Can't wait for the DVD! Will surely add it to the collection.

Thanks, Paul! ;-)

Peace...

D

drummmhead

Well said, Paul. Really good analysis there! And I concur with the thanks to Don Lombardi and drumchannel.com for a wonderful event!

Can't wait for the DVD! Will surely add it to the collection.

Thanks, Paul! ;-)

Peace...
was anyone actually there?

tvtennis

I saw the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert...on my computer, anyway.

It was streamed from the show by drumchannel.com Saturday night, and was wondering if anyone actually attended the show at the Manhattan Center, in New York?

Tommy Igoe was fantastic! He did a great performance, as well as co-hosting the show with Buddys' daughter, Cathy Rich.

Buddys' grandson, Nick Rich, did a tremendous job behind his kit as well, though, admittedly, big band style is not his specialty.

John Blackwell was at his finest, doing his super-fast rolls, twirling his sticks, and really nailing his performance.

The Guitar Center drum-off winner Donnie Marple, was awesome! Wow! This kid' s got some serious talent. We will be hearing a lot more from this guy in the near future. And what a future he's got!

The great Terry Bozzio certainly didn't disappoint. He didn't have his usual massive kit, though it was the largest one of the evening. And he was spectacular. What can you say about TB, that hasn't already been said for years? His performance was so technically sound. Wonderful.

Then a surprise special guest...Peter Erskine! It was really great to see him there. And he was certainly a class act behind his kit. Love his style and positivity!

Chad Smith. This guy is FUN! I mean, he just explodes a good time for all! When he plays or when he speaks, he just has such a fantastic attitude. Love his sense of humor, as much as his powerful playing. Great to see him!

Then last, but certainly, not least, The Professor! Neil Peart did a commendable performance of a few Buddy tunes, and his own YYZ, with Jeff Berlin on bass. Just a great performance by him. No matter what anyone says.

What a tribute to BR! Just a fabulous event, thanks to Cathy Rich and Tommy Igoe. Hope it continues for years to come.

Well Done! ;-)
I agree w/you. I watched all 5 hrs of it. I was glued to the screen, there were 5 separate camera feeds, had all of them going on the same screen (my mac was smoking!...) I can see how this can clearly replace television the way we know it now. Some small glitches here and there, but for the most part this worked out great! This was the first time anyone has attempted anything on this scale, it will just get better. I could not have spent my Saturday afternoon any better, I received emails from Australia and Argentina, a lot of people have seen this. Fantastic job Drumchannel.com!

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
I am surprised that so few have posted to this thread. Did only a few people watch it on the DrumChannel? I am the only DW member who attended the event? This really was one of the industry highlights of the year and DrumChannel did a phenomenal job in the streaming, and in generally filming a live event while remaining relatively inconspicuous. The DVD will be immense. I can't wait to hear the comments from those who did not go and see the event but later view the DVD.

Paul

hawk9290

Gold Member
I wish I could have gone, and I was too busy to watch it streamed. It sounds amazing though.

Any idea on how long of a wait the DVD is, or if it can still be streamed somewhere on the net?

M

michael drums

I wish I could have gone, and I was too busy to watch it streamed. It sounds amazing though.

Any idea on how long of a wait the DVD is, or if it can still be streamed somewhere on the net?
Hey hawk. ;-)

Not sure if it can still be streamed, but the DVD is due out in February 2009.

Hopefully you won't be too busy to pick it up. Hee...hee...

Peace

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member

The drumchannel stream was only a live event and could not be downloaded. There is some talk about the event being cleaned up a little and restreamed for drumchannel members. Go on over to the website and check it out. The DVD is being pushed in order to get it out as soon as possible and my understanding is that January 2009 is the outside date for release and tyhey will attempt a sooner release.

Paul

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
Here's a picture i received from John Blackwell:

John - Neil Peart and our Forum Member Paul Quin (..see post below)

I enjoyed the show very much - stunning quality in picture and sound - just bad, that it was not synchronized, so a pain to watch. I had to download some portions and synchronized with Final Cut - now it works - great stuff.

Hopefully it will be available again for the public soon - also Tommy Igoe was great!!!

Bernhard

M

michael drums

I enjoyed the show very much - stunning quality in picture and sound - just bad, that it was not synchronized, so a pain to watch. I had to download some portions and synchronized with Final Cut - now it works - great stuff.

Hopefully it will be available again for the public soon - also Tommy Igoe was great!!!

Bernhard
Wow, Thanks Bernhard! ;-)

Nice pic!

LinearDrummer

Silver Member

Bernhard
Wow you got a picture of Neil....I'm surprised cause I heard he's very unapproachable....

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
Wow you got a picture of Neil....I'm surprised cause I heard he's very unapproachable....
Don't believe everything you hear. I found Neil to be gracious, easy to talk to, down to earth and a pleasure to be around. It was great to hear him talk with such humility about the band itself and the other drummers who were there. I suspect that when you have been in the public eye for as long as he has that he may just value his privacy. But the view that he is unapproachable is just not right. It also helps that I was at the event for business reasons as well as pleasure (no-one says business can't be fun, right?), and that can oftentimes break the ice.

By the way, despite what my lenses seem to be doing to my eyes in that picture I am not cross-eyed! (..hopefully the pic is better now - corrected - Bernhard)

Thanks Bernhard for posting. John mentioned that he had sent you the picture but I didn't know you would post it!

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: