Brush Teacher in San Francisco area?

RickP

Gold Member
Tommy Igoe teaches in the San Francisco Bay area. I'd imagine he's quite costly as a teacher given his huge reputation.

He was amazing playing with brushes on the Groove Essentials 2.0 DVD. I'm basing his brush ability off that really.
John Riley does skype lessons and he is a great teacher and player. He has taught a lot of famous drummers.

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Tommy is one of the top drum educators in the world today and would be worth every penny I'm sure. He'd be a great choice.

If there are budgetary considerations, you could check out several DVD's as well as some YouTube videos.

Ed Soph has some great YouTube videos on brush playing. I believe they are on the Evans channel.

Clayton Cameron has a DVD called 'Brushworks' although I haven't seen that one.

I own The Art of Brushes by Steve Smith and Adam Nussbaum. Excellent tool for traditional jazz brush playing.

What I bought and working through now is Florian Alexandru Zorn's 'The Brush Secret'. This DVD has a more contemporary approach to brush playing although it does include some traditional jazz content. Lots of stuff to work through.

Still if you can study privately it would be best especially if you are just starting out.

HTH

Jim

Souljacker

Silver Member
That about says it, does anyone know of an exceptional brush player based in or around San Francisco who teaches? Thanks!
Tommy Igoe teaches in the San Francisco Bay area. I'd imagine he's quite costly as a teacher given his huge reputation.

He was amazing playing with brushes on the Groove Essentials 2.0 DVD. I'm basing his brush ability off that really.