Brian Blade in Chicago on Friday

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Brian Blade & Fellowship Band at my favorite venue, S.P.A.C.E. in Evanston on Friday! Two shows and I'll be there for both! Can't wait!

Any other Chicago-area folks planning to go?

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I live right near Evanston. I'll have to check out some of Blade's work and see if it's something I would want to see live. I know Brian is a big inspiration to Mark McLean and I enjoy Marks playing a lot, so maybe it's worth checking Brian out.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Let me know if you end up going Tommy, it'd be great to meet you.

Simon Phillips will be there with Hiromi and Anthony Jackson in April.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Damn, I would love to see that.
Did sound for Brian Blade last year at our Jazz festival - but it was for his solo project "Mama Rosa'- he was playing guitar and Steve Nistor playing drums (who is also a great player)

Anyway, really lovely guy. You should go talk to him if you can, he's very approachable.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Damn, I would love to see that.
Did sound for Brian Blade last year at our Jazz festival - but it was for his solo project "Mama Rosa'- he was playing guitar and Steve Nistor playing drums (who is also a great player)

Anyway, really lovely guy. You should go talk to him if you can, he's very approachable.
Thanks Neal, glad you had a chance to spend a bit of time with him. The last time I saw him was last year when he was at the same venue with John Patitucci. I'm super excited about tonight's shows!

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
After careful consideration, spleeeeen, I have decide not to go to tonight's show. I tried really hard to like this style of music, but unstructured jazz is just something I can't get my head around. I'm sure there is a great love and appreciation for it, but it's just not for me. Have fun at the show.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
After careful consideration, spleeeeen, I have decide not to go to tonight's show. I tried really hard to like this style of music, but unstructured jazz is just something I can't get my head around. I'm sure there is a great love and appreciation for it, but it's just not for me. Have fun at the show.
No worries Tommy, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by "unstructured." If anything, the stuff they are playing is pretty straight ahead with heavy groove elements. First show was incredible and I'm waiting now for the second. Not much I love more in life than sitting stage side and soaking up all the goodness eminating from such soulful and tender musicians.