Brexit

Morrisman

Platinum Member
So the UK wants to leave the EU!

My local news says that Scotland, Northern Ireland and London wanted to stay, while the rest of England & Wales wanted to leave, and that when totalled up, 52% want to exit.

Interesting.

In the meantime, the pound has dropped, so this would be a good time to buy something from the UK..

Certainly interesting times ahead over here!
Biggest turnout for voting that I've ever seen. There's a lot of passionate debate going on right now!

myxtc

Why did this come about? I have read it is because they want more control over their own immigration policy but I am skeptical as this kind of thing always comes down to money.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Really interesting result. I've been following it very closely for weeks now as it directly effects what I do for a living.

Suffice it to say, I called it wrong from the outset...........evidently so did many, many others.

What can I say? Rule Britannia!!

octatonic

What a disaster, but it is clearly the will of the people.

I'm not making any decisions today but I'll be amazed if I am not back living in Australia within 2-3 years.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
My partner and I are looking at moving to an EU member state and trying for dual citizenship of that state. She could quite easily get a job somewhere in the EU, not so much me but it could work.

I am in the broadest terms a Eurosceptic. The EU is not transparent and not particularly democratic but if there is a guaranteed way to assure that we have absolutely no say over how it is run, voting Leave was it. In the short-term it's looking like another recession in the UK and another recession in the Eurozone and the possibility of a wave of similar referenda in EU member states. In the long-term, the UK is probably going to rip itself apart. Scotland are putting together plans for another referendum (absolutely understandable) and there's even some talk of Sinn Féin proposing an Irish unification referendum.

Cameron played a risk to appease his disunited party and it has backfired. It's possible this will rip the UK apart. Things haven't been great for a long while but despite my disagreements with the policies of the current (and last) government we have a fairly stable economy and fairly stable (if somewhat misleading) employment figures. Say goodbye to both of those.

I am absolutely gutted that Leave won. I was up until 5AM watching the results come in.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Lots of angst (economic, geopolitical) around the world perhaps plays into the equation. UK leaves the EU-really surprised me. The angst in the US is the highest I've seen since the 60s and it seems no matter who wins this presidential election half the country will balk-loudly and perhaps violently. Seems the "United" states isn't so united anymore either.

Juniper

Gold Member
Why did this come about?

Because some idiots are allowed to vote unfortunately

Obviously some people who voted out have done so as they believe it’s the best thing for the country, fair enough and the above isnt aimed at them. But a lot of people however are holding onto Immigration being the main factor, without taking any thought or educating themselves on the economical/general consequences, not to mention the potential privatisation of the NHS.

Here are the stats of ages of voters who voted to remain which is pretty interesting.

Ages
18-24- 76% Remain
25-49 -56% Remain
50-64- 44% Remain
65 years + 39% Remain

Our Prime Minister has announced his resignation with calls now for the opposition leader to resign also so they’ll be a re-shake in parliament now.

Scotland is now looking leave the UK and join the EU. Very surprised with voters in Wales, seeing as they benefitted heavily with EU funding

Obviously only the 1st day and hours into the decision but should make for an interesting couple of years while the exit is arranged with the EU, can see some brexit voters maybe regretting their decision when they experience the consequences.

Whatever happens now this decision is huge and I feel long term this is very much a bad call. Our country is currently as divided as it's ever been in recent times, with hate filled politics constantly playing in the background.

Fun times

Last edited:

Tamaefx

Silver Member
The british people show to the other european countries that they're still able to handle themselves their destiny,... once again.
They should be proud I think.
I also think that Angela Merkel is a lot responsible for this departure.
A page is turning,

Our president (Hollande) is pretty disappointed, and that is a great news :)
Bruxelles has been unable to protect us from crisis, terrorism, unemployment,...

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Living in the US and having our own issues as you all are aware. Without being on top of current events but very concerned about the future for my kids. What exactly does the Brexit mean to the UK? What changes over there?

Smoke

Silver Member
Gads. My friends across the pond vote to regain some liberty and my 401k (retirement account) drops 3%.

On the other hand, it prompted a response from BFY, for which I'm grateful. Good to hear from you again, sir!

picodon

Silver Member
The british people show to the other european countries that they're still able to handle themselves their destiny,... once again.
They should be proud I think.
I also think that Angela Merkel is a lot responsible for this departure.
A page is turning,

Our president (Hollande) is pretty disappointed, and that is a great news :)
Bruxelles has been unable to protect us from crisis, terrorism, unemployment,...
It is a misunderstanding that the EU countries have given up their souvereignity. We ARE Brussels, we voted these people only when there are European elections noone turns up because they're not interested.

Brussels won't protect against terrorism, it came from within. And don't count on Brussels or your president or anyone to get you a job.

The thing with the EU is that it expanded too fast with no clear objectives and the problem is exactly that the states don't want to give up their souvereignity, that is why the EU presidency and high rep of foreign affairs are so weak and inaudible and therefore useless. Too much money has been thrown at the organisation with too little control.

The EU should stop expanding senselessly, get rid of 90% of its senseless lawmakers and come back to its fundamentals.

PS - if you want to get a feel for the absurdity, just google "European parliament relocation boxes" and find out what those are. Another French invention :(

Last edited:

Magenta

Platinum Member
I am in the broadest terms a Eurosceptic. The EU is not transparent and not particularly democratic but if there is a guaranteed way to assure that we have absolutely no say over how it is run, voting Leave was it. In the short-term it's looking like another recession in the UK and another recession in the Eurozone and the possibility of a wave of similar referenda in EU member states. In the long-term, the UK is probably going to rip itself apart. Scotland are putting together plans for another referendum (absolutely understandable) and there's even some talk of Sinn Féin proposing an Irish unification referendum.

Cameron played a risk to appease his disunited party and it has backfired. It's possible this will rip the UK apart. Things haven't been great for a long while but despite my disagreements with the policies of the current (and last) government we have a fairly stable economy and fairly stable (if somewhat misleading) employment figures. Say goodbye to both of those.

I am absolutely gutted that Leave won. I was up until 5AM watching the results come in.
^^^ This.

Scotland is now looking leave the UK and join the EU. Very surprised with voters in Wales, seeing as they benefitted heavily with EU funding
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you - I am ashamed of Wales.

As for me, I am seriously considering moving to an independent, European Scotland if and when it happens.

There's talk of Scotland and London coming to some sort of arrangement whereby they stay in the EU. I hope that happens, somehow, because otherwise my daughters, who both live in London, will go abroad.

Personal tragedies aside, this is the worst day of my life. I remember a time before the EU when this country was a pretty dreadful place to live in, and it only changed BECAUSE of the EU. I'm disappointed, frightened and disgusted by the referendum result.

alparrott

Platinum Member
A great cautionary tale for the US and our own current wave of nativist xenophobia. Very surprised and saddened by this news, and hope that its impact on our British friends here is mercifully minimal.

Juniper

Gold Member
^^^ This.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you - I am ashamed of Wales.

As for me, I am seriously considering moving to an independent, European Scotland if and when it happens.

There's talk of Scotland and London coming to some sort of arrangement whereby they stay in the EU. I hope that happens, somehow, because otherwise my daughters, who both live in London, will go abroad.

Personal tragedies aside, this is the worst day of my life. I remember a time before the EU when this country was a pretty dreadful place to live in, and it only changed BECAUSE of the EU. I'm disappointed, frightened and disgusted by the referendum result.
I keep re-running it in my head and I can't believe that we have got to this. It’s all just so uncertain.

If there's any consolation for your girls the overall population of London voted to remain in (or would they be looking to move for another reason?)

Hampshire where I am voted out, so I’ll be walking home sneering at the general public tonight (not really)

One of the most frustrating things today is seeing/speaking to people who voted out who thought their vote wasn’t going to count and we’d stay in, who are actually regretting it now and are “shocked”

Whyioutta!!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
"Politics" hit the nail on the head. In the US no matter the subject, problem or issue, and no matter the actual amount of facts, studies, and data related to it-once something becomes "politicized" then any real constructive discussion is lost forever with all the misinformation, partial truths, propaganda, fear mongering, and demagoguery bull crap. I assume it's similar in UK. I think when many people have angst they want to isolate themselves from all the problems-seems like a reflex in many. I fear with this decision a devastating "domino effect, however I'm curious if things really go sour quickly is there a way to appeal this decision? When you take a wrong turn and are fixing to drive off a cliff no reason you can't bail out before the "Fit hits the Shan". Didn't really think our President helped matters suggesting the UK will have to get in the "back of the line". What the heck kind of threat is that?

Last edited:

Magenta

Platinum Member
(or would they be looking to move for another reason?)
No, just the one reason. However, if they want to move anywhere they're going to need to do some serious upskilling, so it may not be all bad!

A great cautionary tale for the US and our own current wave of nativist xenophobia.
I am genuinely afraid that we are becoming Germany in the 1930s.

"Politics" hit the nail on the head. In the US no matter the subject, problem or issue, and no matter the actual amount of facts, studies, and data related to it-once something becomes "politicized" then any real constructive discussion is lost forever with all the misinformation, partial truths, propaganda, fear mongering, and demagoguery bull crap. I assume it's similar in UK. I think when many people have angst they want to isolate themselves from all the problems-seems like a reflex in many. I fear with this decision a devastating "domino effect, however I'm curious if things really go sour quickly is there a way to appeal this decision? When you take a wrong turn and are fixing to drive off a cliff no reason you can't bail out before the "Fit hits the Shan".
Both sides in this referendum conducted themselves appallingly. There was nothing but the politics of fear, from both of them, and they ought to be ashamed of themselves. We reached a new low.

It was made clear before the referendum that this was our one and only chance and whatever decision was made would not be reversible. However, with the shock waves and domino effect starting to ripple across Europe, I suppose there is a possibility that deals of some sort may be done. It may be that the EU will implode and be reborn in a different entity, and that the UK might be part of that. Certainly the EU in its present form is extremely flawed, although in my opinion it is still better than the alternative we currently have in the UK.

Juniper

Gold Member
No, just the one reason. However, if they want to move anywhere they're going to need to do some serious upskilling, so it may not be all bad!
Glad to hear there might be at least a positive for you and yours, Madge.

When you take a wrong turn and are fixing to drive off a cliff no reason you can't bail out before the "Fit hits the Shan".
No it's done, now we're waiting for Article 50 to be invoked (which is the lengthy process for a country removing itself from the EU)

The outgoing Prime Minister has said this will not be done on his watch, that’s for his successor to do when he steps down in October.

The EU has asked us to begin this process asap, but apparently is ok with this happening from October.

There has already been over 100,000 signatures on the government petition website for a revote, however only over 100,000 signatures demands for a discussion on whatever subject to be discussed in Parliament only- not that anything would actually be done about it.

All in all a bit of a mess but the overall majority have spoken.