Brand new kit with "factory" flaws!!!

P-CLASS

I have owned in my entire life (too much!) LOTS of high end stuff from various brands (Yamaha, Gretsch, Mapex) who ALWAYS came with "factory made" minor flaws (for example little nicks in bearing edges - sound not affected / only "cosmetic"). Is it normal? Do you have similar stories with NEW stuff you just bought ?What did you do? Did you choose to live with that?

mikel

Platinum Member
Dont know about "High End" kits but the first thing I did with my new (last year) Yamaha Stage Customs was the same as I do with any kit new to me. I removed the stock heads to put on my chosen replacements while carefully checking all the bearing edges, mounting screw tensions and interior finish of the shells. They were all spot on. This from a very much mid range kit and what I would expect from any new purchase.

I then ran a little candle wax around the bearing edges, tuned up the heads and played them. Thats all there should be to it with kits made during the last decade or so.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Yeah for sure, things happen in shipping, people screw up and I think we're all tolerant of minor blemishes. I bought a tama snare that was listed as brand new, it had a little scratch on the finish, was it really worth crying over spilt milk and sending it back overseas? No.

mikel

Platinum Member
Could you please say a bit more about the candle wax on the bearing edges. How much and benefits?
Very much a personal preference. I read a tuning article years ago that suggested a little wax, as a lubricant, would help the head seat easier and make it easier to tune as the head would slide over the bearing edges and prevent any sticking.

As I say, its just something I have done with every new head for years. Check bearing edge for smoothness, rub on a little wax, fit and tune head. How much difference it makes I could not say but I have never had a head that resisted movement on the tuning key before moving. Each to there own.

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Very much a personal preference. I read a tuning article years ago that suggested a little wax, as a lubricant, would help the head seat easier and make it easier to tune as the head would slide over the bearing edges and prevent any sticking.

As I say, its just something I have done with every new head for years. Check bearing edge for smoothness, rub on a little wax, fit and tune head. How much difference it makes I could not say but I have never had a head that resisted movement on the tuning key before moving. Each to there own.
Much appreciated, Mike. I may try on next head changes.

Nate'sKit

You can get a nice little bit of beeswax from carpentry suppliers for not much $. Great for putting screws into wood too.

Icetech

Gold Member
Just curious.. why do you keep saying "Factory" When you just mean factory? I'm waiting for some twist on this story now...

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I've had the pleasure of owning five "high end" kits over the years. I spent a number of years with each kit, and, because I occasionally totally disassemble my kits for cleaning, I've come to know each set with minute detail. Not one of those kits had a defect of any kind. And having sold musical instruments at a music store, I can say that's true of every decent kit I ever sold. So, I'm a bit perplexed by your experiences.

By the way, welcome to DrummerWorld! New opinions and stories are quite welcome. Looking to hearing more from you.

GeeDeeEmm

P-CLASS

Thank you very much! Perhaps I'm too picky about drums? I was talking about bearing edges; i have always discovered very little nicks from factory (in fact only cosmetics) certainly due to mishandling during manufacturing process. Do i have too much expectations from drum manufacturers?

wildbill

Platinum Member
Thank you very much! Perhaps I'm too picky about drums? I was talking about bearing edges; i have always discovered very little nicks from factory (in fact only cosmetics) certainly due to mishandling during manufacturing process. Do i have too much expectations from drum manufacturers?
I think it's possible to get too picky and expect absolute perfection.
Even edges that look very good at a glance might show things with a magnifying glass that look less than perfect.

Hard to tell without some pictures of what you're talking about. There are some pictures on this site of very rough bearing edges.
Most minor defects can be easily fixed. And if they don't affect the sound, you might not even bother.

That said, you'd generally expect the workmanship on drums that cost more to be better than that on drums that cost less.
I think that isn't always the case though.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Two years ago, I ordered a Sonor Bop kit under a "dent and scratch" special. I was told that it looked great, and not to worry about it.

It arrived, and the inside of the kick was all dinged up from them "nesting" the toms inside of the kick and not padding them much at all. Plus, the kit arrived in two boxes - one arrived the day before Christmas, and the other 2-3 days after Christmas. Out of the two boxes, I got an extra rack tom (???), but the bass drum spurs were missing.

AMS was NO help, but Sonor was awesome. Sonor mailed me a couple of spurs, but I was the one who had to deal with it. Obviously, my drum set came from two different places/warehouses, which isn't that big of a deal, but it was a real hassle to have a drum set sitting in the house for a few weeks and not able to play it.

To go through so much trouble for a crummy basswood kit is uncalled for. I ended up trading my kit for a set of Pearl Sessions, and I couldn't be happier.

G

Ghostnote

I had the shells delaminate on a new kit I bought a while ago. I mentioned it on another forum and heard everything from "it's nothing to worry about" to "you are a scanner trying to get a new kit". Call me crazy, but if I pay 3 grand for 3 drums, I don't want to see the plies of shells coming apart.

KamaK

Platinum Member
FWIW, my Gretsch Renown has been a complete dream to own so far. While it's not super high-end, the quality of the edges/hardware/etc has been absolutely perfect. Whenever I see a forum member leaning toward a Catalina, I do my best to steer them towards a used Renown. It's a night and day difference.

Skrivarna

I had the shells delaminate on a new kit I bought a while ago. I mentioned it on another forum and heard everything from "it's nothing to worry about" to "you are a scanner trying to get a new kit". Call me crazy, but if I pay 3 grand for 3 drums, I don't want to see the plies of shells coming apart.
Small scratches on the inside of a shell or minor dents on a bearing edge is nothing I would worry about (though I would try to get a price reduction if it's a brand new drum). Shell delamination on the other hand is a no-no. It will only get worse and cause all kinds of trouble.

On old second hand snares I have fixed issues with shells coming apart (plenty of glue, high pressure and some luck), but totally unacceptable out of the factory.

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
I had a really awesome Pork Pie vented Little Squealer snare a few years back, but within 2 months of ownership, the plies had begun to delaminate. You could see the glue and everything, so this was unnacceptable, of course.

Gotta say, this is the only "high end" drum that I've wver had any issues with, including cosmetic nicks. My Tama Starclassic Maple was in immacukate condition when I bought it; there wasn't a single imperfection in any bearing edge, nor a single blemish on the finish. Same with my Starphonic and SLP snares, they were perfect when I bought them.

Personally, I think there are accepted tolerances when it comes to buying an instrument that you're ultimately going to hit with pieces of wood anyways. Of course, this is all just personal opinion; one person might expect and accept nothing less than absolute perfection, while others are content to accept the odd blemish/ding/etc.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I had a really awesome Pork Pie vented Little Squealer snare a few years back, but within 2 months of ownership, the plies had begun to delaminate. You could see the glue and everything, so this was unnacceptable, of course.

Gotta say, this is the only "high end" drum that I've wver had any issues with, including cosmetic nicks.

I don't really consider PP Little Squealer "high end." However, this is still uncalled for.

Slippy

anytime i get a new kit or used first thing i do is replace the stock heads (batter and reso). I check the bearing edges and recut if needed... I always run a bit of super fine sandpaper or steel wool over the bearing edge evertime i change a head just to be sure there isnt any nicks or bumps. if the paper gets hung up at all or rhte steel wool pulls away i will focus on that area and sand as needed very lightly. I also have a granite block that i use to check the drum for faltness. if you can see any light between the rim of the drum to the granite i will take the drum to a flat sanding block and spin it slowly and recheck with the same process until no light can be seen.

as far as cosmetic blemishes go, if i buy a kit new from a store and there is a cratch on the kit or something is wrong i will either make them fix it or ask for a discount.

Slippy

i remember that thread....