Boss demands me to play at company party

bearblastbeats

Hey folks,

My boss has made an inauguration party for our company next month and has requested myself and our IT guy (him and I play in a cover band together) to play a few songs at our party.

It will be a short set, mostly acoustic, within a small restaurant.

My boss is adamant that I play to show case that one of his engineers has skills other than what we do for work. Whatever.

So, I can either play the house bongos and just tap away while my guy plays acoustic, or I was thinking of bringing just bass, snare, hats, and one crash and playing with rods.

Thoughts, suggestions?

fac

I'd go with the second option (kick, snare, hats, crash/ride) with brushes or rods.

Another choice, if you have one, would be to play a cajon and a splash.

bearblastbeats

I'd go with the second option (kick, snare, hats, crash/ride) with brushes or rods.

Another choice, if you have one, would be to play a cajon and a splash.
Was thinking of getting a cajon but my brother won't let me use his. We are not getting paid so I am not investing into this.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
It's a rare day anyone's boss comes up for air long enough to notice his/her crew members, so to me, this is a big deal. Unless I was asked to sing or do something unethical, I would do my best to ablige. It never hurts to be on the bosses "good" radar. After all, we play drums to move people. Pick up whichever you feel comfortable with and do it.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Hmmmm....

I love to play...especially live in front of a friendly audience...
I like my job and my co-workers are decent people...
Boss pays for a company party....
Boss says "hey would you guys play a few tunes for us?"...

For me? Easy decision, and I would, and I have invested in gear for non-paying events.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but from your posts It seems that you are not into this (maybe you don't like your job/boss/co-workers?). So why put yourself through the pain and risk conveying a negative attitude?

But...if you play ask the other guy what his preference would be...

bearblastbeats

Sorry if my post came off as if I wasn't interested in playing.

I like the idea of playing, I am not liking the idea that I am his show monkey. Regardless, we have quite a few songs to choose from and using the bass, snare, hat deal will be best for me and more comfortable.

Money isn't an issue at all, I was just pointing that out, and is why the whole band isn't playing.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My Dad bought my brothers and I musical instruments to play at a young age 8,13, and 15. We formed a band and was playing gigs before you know it. He bought us a nice PA system and mikes. My Dad would always "demand" we play for him when ever-where ever and we hated it feeling like monkeys on display. Sadly none of us had the foresight to realize-dang dudes he bought you nice musical instruments and gear, has encouraged you-now obviously proud and wanting to show you off a bit-you should count your blessings and thank him profusely. It's nice your boss notices and I'd jump at the opportunity to oblige. I'd do the gig with a small kit-16 in kick, snare, hi hat, and maybe a tom-use rutes or brushes for quiet stuff, and 7A for a rock-you can still rock out with just guitar and drums. I'd set my mind to make it fun.

bearblastbeats

My Dad bought my brothers and I musical instruments to play at a young age 8,13, and 15. We formed a band and was playing gigs before you know it. He bought us a nice PA system and mikes. My Dad would always "demand" we play for him when ever-where ever and we hated it feeling like monkeys on display. Sadly none of us had the foresight to realize-dang dudes he bought you nice musical instruments and gear, has encouraged you-now obviously proud and wanting to show you off a bit-you should count your blessings and thank him profusely. It's nice your boss notices and I'd jump at the opportunity to oblige. I'd do the gig with a small kit-16 in kick, snare, hi hat, and maybe a tom-use rutes or brushes for quiet stuff, and 7A for a rock-you can still rock out with just guitar and drums. I'd set my mind to make it fun.
That is the plan my good sir. Like I said, I don't mind playing and we have been wanting to do a company thing.

fac

I am not liking the idea that I am his show monkey.
Don't look at it that way. He probably just wants everyone to have a good time. Bosses aren't inherently evil (though some are).

I have a cover band with some workmates (We're all professors in a public university). We started playing just for fun 10 years ago but had to quit when my daughter was born because rehearsals took place at my home (drummer's curse). Two years ago, our boss asked us to play in the inauguration of a new campus and we happily obliged. Since then, we haven't stopped playing.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if my post came off as if I wasn't interested in playing.

I like the idea of playing, I am not liking the idea that I am his show monkey.
The boss wants a favor, it doesn't sound like an unreasonable request, so you do it. It's not the time to play the 'not your little monkey' card. Keep that card deep in the deck.

Bermuda

mikel

Platinum Member
Did he really "Demand" you play, or was that a typo? If anyone demands I do anything my first thought is, f**k off. If someone asks If you would do something, or as a favor, then fine, thats different. If he is telling you to do something just cos he is the boss then I would politely decline, with a smile.

tcspears

Gold Member
Are you getting paid? If not, then just use whatever is there and do a few songs.

There's no reason to bring gear in to play a few songs for free for an even that doesn't benefit you.

Just keep time on the bongos that are there. Otherwise you're going to be setting stuff up and breaking it down while everyone else is having fun.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I don't know what your relationship is with your boss, how frank of a conversation you can have with him. Yes, he wants to show off his staff, he also wants free entertainment for his party. I think mainly I'd let him know that playing music is something you also do for money, and that this is not how you normally handle that business, and that preparing a set of music is not some small assignment-- you have to do rehearsals and whatnot. He doesn't have to know if you're just going in and winging it. Let him know what your group normally gets paid for corporate engagements. Maybe he's not going to pay for your time, or "let" you not do it, but he should know that he's asking for, and you're providing, an extraordinary service.

Assuming you wind up doing the thing regardless, I would bring whatever you need to to have fun and to show yourself off to your best advantage. Maybe there's somebody in the house who has been thinking about taking lessons, and you can pick up a student or something...

bearblastbeats

I don't know what your relationship is with your boss, how frank of a conversation you can have with him. Yes, he wants to show off his staff, he also wants free entertainment for his party. I think mainly I'd let him know that playing music is something you also do for money, and that this is not how you normally handle that business, and that preparing a set of music is not some small assignment-- you have to do rehearsals and whatnot. He doesn't have to know if you're just going in and winging it. Let him know what your group normally gets paid for corporate engagements. Maybe he's not going to pay for your time, or "let" you not do it, but he should know that he's asking for, and you're providing, an extraordinary service.

Assuming you wind up doing the thing regardless, I would bring whatever you need to to have fun and to show yourself off to your best advantage. Maybe there's somebody in the house who has been thinking about taking lessons, and you can pick up a student or something...
He initially wanted us to play 4-5 songs, which for a party is kind of weak. At that point its not worth the time and energy. My guitarist has been wanting to play at this particular place for his solo stuff so its more to benefit him, i feel. We have a set list of about 30 songs we can do and it'll be fun. But there is no question about pay.

Did he really "Demand" you play, or was that a typo? If anyone demands I do anything my first thought is, f**k off. If someone asks If you would do something, or as a favor, then fine, thats different. If he is telling you to do something just cos he is the boss then I would politely decline, with a smile.

He sent me a text after I suggest he buys a cheap cajon and I'll play the party. He resonded with "How about you play the f****** party or you're f****** fired."

He has good intentions but he's one of those types. Not that I would ever be fired, but it's easier to play nice and just do it than to go against it.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
How quick would he be, to let you leave early for a gig that required some travel? I would save or print that message for future use or needs. Playing nice is one thing, but it should go both ways.