Bosphorus Endorsement

johnbarnesiii

Thanks Mike, for the awesome info!

I'm gonna check out Stanton Moore's work on the COC album where he uses Bosphorus. I like it when drummers take products intended for a certain style (ie jazz) and use em for something totally different (ie rock).

I'm starting to grow really fond of the earthier cymbal tones, whereas when I first started out drumming, I leaned more toward brighter & thinner tones. Jojo Mayer comes to mind a la the earthy cymbal tones.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Thanks for the feedback & opinions. Can I ask again for your comparisons: Zildjian vs Bosphorus. On my way to Guitar Center tonight to try some. Would like opinions from those who have played Bosphorus. Regards!
Bosphorus makes some really great cymbals. All made by hand so they tend to be darker and smokier. Their appeal is mostly to jazzier drummers. Only hard hitter I can think of is Stanton Moore using his on Corrosion of Conformity's "In The Arms Of God" album. But honestly, the cymbals don't come through that well, IMO.

Zildjian cymbals are generally louder and brighter, and are all machine-made except for the lathing. Every single one of them, including the entire K series (K, K Custom, K Con), is machine hammered. The profiles are all stamped into them before the hammering, whereas Bosphorus' hand hammering sets the profile.

Zildjian is a big company that cranks out a lot of cymbals, so you can usually find an almost decent collection of them at some Guitar Centers. Don't expect to find much of anything Bosphorus, though. Cymbals like those are not exactly their bread and butter.

GC online Bosphorus = 14 cymbals to choose from.
GC online: Zildjian = 234 cymbals to choose from.
And this is online, so expect that any one store will have significantly less. They may have one or two, or they may have none.

You'll have better luck finding a good selection at a 5-Star, or other local drum shop.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
..and are you under the impression that you just ask a company to give you a deal because you play and they hand you cymbals?
I'd like to place a sizeable bet on the answer, please.

I think I will endorse BMW 35i sedans. Does any one know anything about cars.?
I hear Mercedes Benz pay more money to their endorsees. They actually make a better product (come from a more prestigious part of Germany) and given their willingness to give stuff away for free to anyone who asks, I think that's a far better option. I believe their policy is a little more "open door" than BMW too.....for a Merc endorsement, you don't even have to know how to drive!!

johnbarnesiii

Thanks for the feedback & opinions. Can I ask again for your comparisons: Zildjian vs Bosphorus. On my way to Guitar Center tonight to try some. Would like opinions from those who have played Bosphorus. Regards!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Why would you be looking for an endorsement deal if you didn't already use and love the product?

They're both round and bronze.
Agreed. this is about the fourth one of these I have seen. I think I will endorse BMW 35i sedans. Does any one know anything about cars.?

A

Anthony Amodeo

Why would you be looking for an endorsement deal if you didn't already use and love the product?

^this

..and are you under the impression that you just ask a company to give you a deal because you play and they hand you cymbals?

just curious

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Hello,

I am looking for a cymbal endorsement. I am considering applying at Bosphorus, have heard good things about their product but haven't played their cymbals.

How do Bosphorus cymbals compare to Zildjian, generally-speaking? I play heavy rock.

Thanks in advance!
Not to be snarky, but... if you have to ask, you're not ready to endorse either brand.

Find the cymbals you love, buy some, then ask yourself if you're enodrsement material, because that's what any (good) company will be asking you. Also, your level of exposure governs any potential deal, not just your desire for a brand, or your need for a break on the price.

FYI, companies rarely hand out product except to the top guys, and Istanbul is no exception.

Bermuda

MikeM

Platinum Member
Well, it wouldn't be much an endorsement then.............
Exactly. If I were looking for a deal, I'd have to look to Zildjian because that's what the majority of my collection is and what I've primarily used for the last 30+ years. A good rule if you're looking for that sort of thing is only go after what you already use and LIKE.

My guess at this point is that Bosphorus wouldn't give you the time of day if they ever saw this post.

choki

Play what you love, find the right cymbals, and then go looking for an endorsement deal. Don't get tied into a contract to play something exclusively until you are sure you're playing what you want to play.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Hello,

I am looking for a cymbal endorsement. I am considering applying at Bosphorus, have heard good things about their product but haven't played their cymbals.

How do Bosphorus cymbals compare to Zildjian, generally-speaking? I play heavy rock.

Thanks in advance!
Well, it wouldn't be much an endorsement then.............

MikeM

Platinum Member

johnbarnesiii

Hello,

Thanks in advance!