Bo's carpal tunnel update

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It's been a couple of weeks since I posted that I'm suffering from CTS. And this manifested itself in both hands suffering from 'pins and needles' and going numb while playing for a few minutes. Here's how it's going so far:

My doctor started me on a medication that's used to control your uric acid level. This uric acid level is what contributes to gout - a form of arthritis that builds up these crystals usually in the joint of your big toe first making it painful for you to walk. But it could spread to any joint, it just so happens your big toe is at the bottom, and the uric acid follows gravity at first. So I've been taking this stuff for a little over a week now.

I'm also wearing wrist braces when I go to sleep to keep my wrists and hands from twisting or bending in during the night which causes stress on the wrists.

I'm also doing alot of stretches, and these are helping most of all.

I'm happy to report that I can play (and drive the car) for alot longer now before any numbness sets in. At its worst I'd play for about 5 minutes and I'd have to stop and let the blood back in to my hands. Now I can go up to 25 minutes.

Mind you, this is not painful at all. It's just a bit of numbness that I'm dealing with, so I'm definitely in the early stages.

I felt a little guilty at my first group therapy session because there were people there with completely dead hands, and some had begun to atrophy because no blood at all was there, and they were in serious pain. The therapist suggested bigger sticks (which I had already started) and these simple stretches. When I showed them the stretches I was already doing, they were impressed and told me to keep on it. So throughout my day I'll stop and do these stretches and everything is looking good.

I think the medication is helping as well since my joints don't feel as "creaky" as they used to. But I need to go back in for a blood test to see where my uric acid levels actually are at this point.

Of course, diet and exercise are also important and I've been dusting off my mountain bike to do some riding around my house and trying to eat less. Somebody told me 50 is the new 30, so I want to be riding that train when I get there.

All in all, I think I'll conquer this CTS thing given more time (I have til the end of the month to see how I'm doing), but it's been very positive so far. So if any of you is suffering any kind of hand numbness, get in to see your doctor and don't ignore it. I was initially freaked because it's half of my career to be playing (well, twiddling knobs mixing sound is the other, so I guess it's ALL of my career) and I don't want to be in this position where I'm asking myself, "So what do I do now?".

My playing has been feeling better since I'm stretching on a regular basis, and actually warming up. And even typing on a computer keyboard is not so bad either.

You folks take care of yourselves. You only get one body for this life!

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I'm also doing alot of stretches, and these are helping most of all.

Of course, diet and exercise are also important and I've been dusting off my mountain bike to do some riding around my house and trying to eat less. Somebody told me 50 is the new 30, so I want to be riding that train when I get there.
Glad to hear you've got both DIET and EXERCISE covered. There's not much else above health that is valuable in life. Perhaps relationships and memories (as mentioned by Warren Buffet).

Don't sweat 50 Bo. I can still press the same weight on a bench and more on a shoulder press as I did 20 years ago. Though I'm much slower and smarter nowadays in the gym :).
I was fortunate to stay active physically.

Keep us posted.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
And on another note, I picked up some of those Radians Custom Ear Plugs kits and am preparing to actually make my plugs soon (these are identical to the Ahead Custom Earplug kits, but way cheaper). Normally I wouldn't have to wear them, but doing the Ringo thing on my 24" K Light Ride will definitely kill my left ear soon if I don't!

So I'm doing my best to protect my hearing too. Too many of my friends are going deaf!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Good so far. Massage was the other option you were looking at. The bod definitely complains in your 50s if you haven't been careful in the past.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good so far. Massage was the other option you were looking at. The bod definitely complains in your 50s if you haven't been careful in the past.
I've done full body massage at my chiropractor a few years ago once and I am trying to find a nice legitimate place that does hand reflexology for this sort of thing. In my part of town its hard because there's so many of those "x-rated type Asian" massage parlors sprinkled about, and the legitimate ones I know of don't just do hand/arm work. But I'm searching!

larryz

Platinum Member
I've done full body massage at my chiropractor a few years ago once and I am trying to find a nice legitimate place that does hand reflexology for this sort of thing. In my part of town its hard because there's so many of those "x-rated type Asian" massage parlors sprinkled about, and the legitimate ones I know of don't just do hand/arm work. But I'm searching!
No, the Asian places are more like NC-17, but.... :)

Trigger point muscle therapy is different. Not the same as massage or physical therapy. Give it a try. It works. This place might be close to you. Get better fast...

http://www.painlesstriggerpoint.com/

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good to know you're already improving. Would you mind sharing the stretches?
Ah, yes. If you took one hand and held it out in front of you with the arm extended straight out, then flip your hand so the palm is facing upward. With your other hand, reach under your outstretched hand and pull your thumb back towards you and down to the ground. That stretches the whole area up through your arm where the median nerve is. Hold that for 30 seconds at a time. I alternate hands and do it about five times each.

The other stretch you're in the same position, but now your other hand is bending your fingers down towards the floor. Hold that for 30 seconds at a time.

If you're never done it before, the pain can be pretty sharp because those bottom muscles on your arms have never been stretched. So go slow. If you can't hold it for 30 seconds, then don't and work up to it.

The carpal tunnel is that section in your wrist where all the tendons go through from your hand and up your arm. So if that area gets inflamed, pressure on your tendons ensues and blood doesn't travel back and forth through that small tunnel correctly. The stretches open up that area and as in my case, is relieving the pressure. The pressure could be from an injury, or on some people, the carpal tunnel just isn't big enough.

Hope that helps!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
No, the Asian places are more like NC-17, but.... :)

Trigger point muscle therapy is different. Not the same as massage or physical therapy. Give it a try. It works. This place might be close to you. Get better fast...

http://www.painlesstriggerpoint.com/
I recall you mentioning this before. I'll search for it. The one you linked is a bit far away (about 35 miles west of me through L.A. traffic) so I'll look around here or ask my therapist if we have one local. Thanks for the reminder!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Good that you listened to the signs your body was giving you early. I know you won't stop until you've beat this thing, that's the kind of guy you are, plus there's not much choice. This is your livelihood.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Glad to hear this Bo.There are lots of homeopathic alternatives to western medicine out there,that actually work but you heve to be the judge of what works for you.

Here's hoping you can beat(pun intended) this thing.:)

Steve B

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Damn that would suck (CTS). Good luck with the rehab.

1. Be careful on the bike. It can be a killer to your wrists.

2. I liked your old avatar better.