Books & DVD's by Garibaldi & Weckl

MadJazz

Silver Member
I'm looking to buy a book by Garibaldi and a DVD by Weckl. This is what I've found:

Garibaldi
The Code of Funk
Breaking The Code
Timbafunk
The Funky Beat
Future Sounds

Weckl
Back To Basics
The Next Step
A Natural Evolution
How To Develop Technique

Which are the ones really worth it and in which order should I get the books/dvd's? So far I was thinking of getting the code of funk. How basic or advanced are the above materials?

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Future Sound a good book to get you going. It is one of my favorite texts.
Funky Beat and Code of Funk are more advanced. I haven't seen the Code of Funk DVD; but all you need is on the books and on the cds.

How to Develop Technique is a good video to start with.

Doing Future Sounds with Weckl's How to Develop Technque is a good place to start an intermediate stage of drum practicing.

nocTurnal

How to Develop Technique is a good video to start with.

Doing Future Sounds with Weckl's How to Develop Technque is a good place to start an intermediate stage of drum practicing.
Do you or anyone else use Dave Weckl's "triangle grip" that he talks about in the video you mention? (He adds the middle finger to the thumb and index for holding the stick.) I've never ever seen any other famous drum instructor talk about this. After watching the clip, the stroke with this grip has better rebound and clearly does look more fluid than the traditional "thumb/index." Weckl even says that the thumb/index grip produces "no rebound." Wow. What are all your thoughts on this? And which of you guys out there use this "triangle" grip?

jkrisner

I have all of Garibaldi's books and DVD's. I recommend Future Sounds to my students that are wanting to learn the linear style. It is a good introduction. The Gary Chaffee line of books also cover this subject well.

The Code of Funk book and the Breaking the Code DVD work well together (they are now sold as a package) but I would run through FS first if you are not familiar with this type of playing. The Funky Beat book and Tower of Groove Complete DVD also compliment each other. Timbafunk and Tiempo deal with mixing Afro-Cuban and Latin beats with funk. Tiempo goes with the Talking Drums video which I don't believe was ever put on DVD.

I don't have any of Weckl's videos. I have only seen Back to Basics which I saw way back in the 90's when I borrowed it from someone in my high school drumline. It's pretty much one of those 'hey, watch me play for an hour' videos that didn't really explain how he plays. Would only recommend it for entertainment value. I have heard that his newer series of videos are good. I just have never seen them. Good luck with whatever you choose.