Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Being a history geek (esp. WW2) and suddenly finding myself having a lot of free time on my hands... I'm chewing on these:

J-Boogie

Gold Member
It was meant to be humor. I apologize if taken otherwise-which I give up on my frail attempts at humor on here. Though an avid reader of fiction and non-fiction since childhood in around 1980 I quit reading anything that wasn't biology/science related journals and books till about 2000. Even since I still go towards science oriented books and journals so can't seem to break habit (the last was a book on Epigenetics) but I still read journals daily trying to keep up with various areas of interest. I like reading informative books and whatnot on history and nature. Recently I've gotten hooked on reading peer-reviewed journals and science of climate change (nothing like media and political rhetoric) and on human genetics and evolution which is shaking up that field (because the genetic story of Modern humans is different than archeological one). Researchgate tells you when people cite your papers so I can keep up with what's going on since I left that area of research, which is pretty cool now I'm an old fart. I guess I've been geekified beyond any hope.
Geeks are fascinating, geek away! Please share wisdom nuggets with us, or at least the nuggets that you can layman up so dummies like me can understand. Epigenetics huh, gotta google just what the heck that is.

Googled it.....didnt help lol

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Im currently reading Sherlock Holmes, got this big book with all the stories in it...loving it! Just finished A Study in Scarlet, hella fun. Love when he reveals how he came to his conclusions.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Non-fiction story? i don't understand that (I mean i understand what non-fiction means, just not what you are referencing, I have never seen anything with angels and demons that wasn't fiction) Good Omens was a decent book.. I loved the premise but about 3/4 through it sort of fell apart. I wouldn't call it "Hack" by any means though.. Gaiman and Pratchett are/were both amazing writers and never called hacks..

Personally, i'm reading Dick Cavett's "Brief encounters" Which is just awesome as he is one of my favorite people ever.. been a really good read :)
It was meant to be humor. I apologize if taken otherwise-which I give up on my frail attempts at humor on here. Though an avid reader of fiction and non-fiction since childhood in around 1980 I quit reading anything that wasn't biology/science related journals and books till about 2000. Even since I still go towards science oriented books and journals so can't seem to break habit (the last was a book on Epigenetics) but I still read journals daily trying to keep up with various areas of interest. I like reading informative books and whatnot on history and nature. Recently I've gotten hooked on reading peer-reviewed journals and science of climate change (nothing like media and political rhetoric) and on human genetics and evolution which is shaking up that field (because the genetic story of Modern humans is different than archeological one). Researchgate tells you when people cite your papers so I can keep up with what's going on since I left that area of research, which is pretty cool now I'm an old fart. I guess I've been geekified beyond any hope.

Bighl1983

Completely agree with joombo, Blood Meridian is very well written. When I don't read paper help reviews for my studies and have a free minute I literally dip into another Cormac McCarthy's book called The Road. One of the most emotionally touching and heartbreaking books I ever read. It's a real gem, an absolute must-read, in case you like this genre or the way McCarthy writes.

Icetech

Gold Member
Good Omens is a hack fiction book based on a true non-fiction story. The Demon and Angel, and son of Satan. All angels. I'm not naming any names to protect the innocent.
Non-fiction story? i don't understand that (I mean i understand what non-fiction means, just not what you are referencing, I have never seen anything with angels and demons that wasn't fiction) Good Omens was a decent book.. I loved the premise but about 3/4 through it sort of fell apart. I wouldn't call it "Hack" by any means though.. Gaiman and Pratchett are/were both amazing writers and never called hacks..

Personally, i'm reading Dick Cavett's "Brief encounters" Which is just awesome as he is one of my favorite people ever.. been a really good read :)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Good Omens is a hack fiction book based on a true non-fiction story. The Demon and Angel, and son of Satan. All angels. I'm not naming any names to protect the innocent.

Attachments

joombo

Blood Meridian.

Beautifully written and very compelling. This is coming from someone who hasn’t read a bunch of books.

joombo

Good Omens.

It's the funniest book I have ever read. It's about the Son of Satan. Satan sends his son up to earth so that it can take over the world after it is raised by saitanists. However there is a mix up at the hospital. So the baby is raised by an average Christian family and he starts to discover his power.

The best part of the book is the relationship between the two main characters: The Demon and The Angel.

Highly recommend.

Written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Status
Not open for further replies.