Bonham rocking a Sonor Teardrop kit

NerfLad

Silver Member
Another unusual Bonham pic; I've seen a music video on a documentary programme with him using this set up, but can't remember when or where I saw it.

He used this kit in the video for "Communication Breakdown" and on one tour when they opened for Vanilla Fudge I think it was? Appice convinced him to try two bass drums... there are various stories as to why he stopped, one being that Plant hated how much he used double bass, or that Bonham thought a double bass kit was uncomfortable, etc.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Page and Jones thought it was too cluttered. Too much muddy bottom end. So they hid one of them one rehearsal and that was that.
I see at least two Acoustic 360 powered bass cabs in that picture, which were the loudest bass amp you could get at the time. I doubt that even with Bonzo's big foot that you could hear the bass drums on stage. If he was going all Ginger with them though, I could understand the rest of the guys wanting him to go back to grooving.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
In that first pic, there appears to be no separate crash cymbals at all. So I assume the large one is a crash/ride.

A

Anthony Amodeo

In that first pic, there appears to be no separate crash cymbals at all. So I assume the large one is a crash/ride.
there really were no rides or crashes just cymbals of different weights and diameters

A

Anthony Amodeo

Those really were much better times for people like me. I hate having the justify my use of rides for crashing to everyone that asks...
they are all just cymbals to me .......hat stacks included

they either sound good or they don't

Green_C

Interesting. You can see the Watkins amplifiers in those other pictures. Which is actually what they used early on and often recorded with. Page is noted for the Les Paul and Marshall stacks. But most of the recordings are a Telecaster and either a small Supro amp or a Watkins Dominator (which Marshall later copied to famous use by Clapton on the Mayall Bluesbreaker album). The Watkins and Vox were the most common amps around the UK at the time. I guess they found their way up to Germany as well. Makes sense that a German TV station would provide Sonor backline though.
Pardon me for going a little off topic here but I'm an amp nerd... The Watkins Dominator was copied almost exactly to become the Marshall 18 Watt. The Bluesbreaker amp was a JTM 45 variant (combo instead of a head and cab of the standard JTM 45). The JTM 45 was a very close copy of the Fender Bassman amp.

opentune

Platinum Member
very cool pic. a piccolo snare?
many of these 60's TV shows and soundstages had a stock stage kit, i.e. not those of the performers.
According to Led ZeP FAQ , Bonham played Slingerland (Aug - Nov 1968, mostly their 1st European tour) then Ludwig when he came to USA

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Stacato actually listed Bonham as an endorcer in some of their printed material of the day.

Steve B

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Pardon me for going a little off topic here but I'm an amp nerd... The Watkins Dominator was copied almost exactly to become the Marshall 18 Watt. The Bluesbreaker amp was a JTM 45 variant (combo instead of a head and cab of the standard JTM 45). The JTM 45 was a very close copy of the Fender Bassman amp.
Opps, you're right. The 18 Watt is in a similar looking cab and somehow my brain confused the two. I have played an 18 Watt once, the sound is similar to the Watkins but not quite. There is a very unique sound to the Watkins.