Bob Dylan...Nobel Prize

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
STOCKHOLM (AP) — Bob Dylan was named the winner of the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature Thursday in a stunning announcement that for the first time bestowed the prestigious award to someone primarily seen as a musician.

The Swedish Academy cited the American musician for "having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

There is hope for all of us.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
It's about time. Music has historically been a powerful means of political discourse and pursuit of civil rights, a means for people dealing with oppression, a means of story telling as well as entertainment.

blinky

So now I get to hear the Swedish news on an American drum forum before I hear it over here...:)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So now I get to hear the Swedish news on an American drum forum before I hear it over here...:)
This new world works in strange ways right? Whodathunk Dylan would have even won a Nobel Prize? Good for him. He was a pivotal figure.

I find it curious that you feel this is an American drum forum. Technically, Bernhard is in Switzerland. I wonder if Americans make up the majority here.

bigiainw

Gold Member
I am not a Dylan fan, never have been. I cannot see that he deserves this prize more than some of the great writer of our times who have been ignored by the Nobel prizes over the years. Almost as ridiculous as Obama in 2009...

blinky

larryace;1464256 I find it curious that you feel this is an American drum forum. Technically said:
This is probably why I assumed it was an American forum. But I know Bernhard is Swiss, I just wasn't thinking of that.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
STOCKHOLM (AP) — Bob Dylan was named the winner of the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature Thursday in a stunning announcement that for the first time bestowed the prestigious award to someone primarily seen as a musician.

The Swedish Academy cited the American musician for "having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

There is hope for all of us.
Not bad for a guy who couldn't play guitar ... or sing.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I want to be the first to go on record saying that Dylan is an awful, overrated musician. I do love other artist's covers of his songs though...

opentune

Platinum Member
I want to be the first to go on record saying that Dylan is an awful, overrated musician. I do love other artist's covers of his songs though...
If you love the covers, then you clearly at least appreciate the song writing, which is the indelible mark of the musician that Dylan is. You know ....like...Dylan wrote the music you say you love.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You must have missed this part."having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

Voice not good. Made some fans mad back in the day when he went electric. But for writing, he was great.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Those that don't get it.....the last thing I'd ever try and do is try and sway opinions. If you don't dig it, you don't dig it. It's entirely your call. You're entitled to it and it's certainly no problem with me.

But I will ask, how many have listened to 'Blood On The Tracks' in its entirety before you made the call? If you have, that's cool. Consider yourselves educated and I'm more than happy for our opinions to differ on this one. But if you haven't, then I urge you to give it fair hearing before you close the lid on him forever.

Last edited:

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Those that don't get it.....the last thing I'd ever try and do is try and sway opinions. If you don't dig it, or you don't dig it. It's entirely your call. You're entitled to it and it's certainly no problem with me.

But I will ask, how many have listened to 'Blood On The Tracks' in its entirety before you made the call? If you have, that's cool. Consider yourselves educated and I'm more than happy for our opinions to differ on this one. But if you haven't, then I urge you to give it fair hearing before you close the lid on him forever.
I agree here. When I was a teenager, I didn't get Dylan at all. I thought he was an awful guitarist, a terrible singer and the production was shonky. Then I listened to 'Blood on the Tracks' the whole way through.

Boy, that changed things. No, he's not a particularly technically proficient guitarist (although he's better than most assume). Yes, his voice is divisive but if you listen to what he's actually saying and how he's saying it, it's quite life-changing in its on way. 'Tangled up in Blue' is an extraordinary example of the mundane made profound.