Bo shares his kit update...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yes, more shots of my precious Bubinga Elites. But only because people think I'm crazy for having gone back to 30+ year-old pedals and this time I have new heads on them! Please take note of the DEEP RED bubinga wood of the shells. It's an awful nice site to see when you play 'em! And these pedals feel great - not sure how much life they have left in them, so I do have spares in the truck ;)

And I bring this up also because so many of us drummers take church gigs (or maybe it's your regular gig). On this particular gig, I think I did what every drummer would like to do in the first picture: set up center stage at the pulpit! It would've been funnier if I played the actual pastor too from behind the drums!

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

J

jorn

Bo I bought that bass drum pedal too around 30 years ago. Its the worse piece of shit I have ever owned. But it is indestructible shit -)
For me it was way too tight and it never got any use. Probably in a cabinet somewhere.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Hewn from a solid ingot of aluminium (aluminum), I don't think you'll have any issues there.

As a twist, I thought it would be funny to take my Gurus to a church gig, given their origin. Don't get church gigs much in the UK though. Shame, if you've seen our churches, REVERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I hated that hat stand!
The tension adjustment would change as I played and I would have to readjust during a gig.
The pics below show what I did with mine after I bought my Cobra hat stand.
The old Titan stand is useful as a tom/cymbal stand on my practice kit now!

Attachments

Last edited:

MLdrum

I simply love that deep silky red bubinga colour, and I would love to have a go at that kit.
Especially on that HiHat stand and BD pedal, I'd like to feel how a pedal that's older than me plays :D

I don't think I could ever own a bubinga kit. Because I wouldn't be able to put drumheads on
both sides. I would just be lying in my small apartment caressing the beautiful wood inside
and sometimes gently tap the top head (the only one on), just to hear it speak to me :p

Btw, what cymbals are you using there?

macr0w

Yes, more shots of my precious Bubinga Elites. But only because people think I'm crazy for having gone back to 30+ year-old pedals and this time I have new heads on them! Please take note of the DEEP RED bubinga wood of the shells. It's an awful nice site to see when you play 'em! And these pedals feel great - not sure how much life they have left in them, so I do have spares in the truck ;)

And I bring this up also because so many of us drummers take church gigs (or maybe it's your regular gig). On this particular gig, I think I did what every drummer would like to do in the first picture: set up center stage at the pulpit! It would've been funnier if I played the actual pastor too from behind the drums!

Enjoy the pics!
Those are super nice.

Is there a wrap on them?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Wow. Tough crowd on the pedals. I guess I was never traumatized by them as I've never had any issues. I admit I may start having issues with them now that they're so old, so just know that I do have some modern stuff standing by should these die.

But my cymbals are standard Zildjians, a 20" K Custom Dark ride, and a 18" A Thin crash, and 14" New Beats. I also have a 17" A thin crash that I don't use now. All are over 20 years old now when I think about it. I think I bought these in the early '90s. The color is not a wrap. It's finished in gun metal gray. The usual offering from Tama is gun metal gray, but with a gold band that runs the circumference of the shell in the middle of each drum. Hated that look, so I asked for the gun metal gray without the gold band. You have to wait a long time for Tama to do the job, but there you go.

I just got some Tama decals and plan on getting a smooth white bass drum head for it. I think it's time for the white front bass drum to make a come back ;)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
No!!! Not a smooth white front bass drum head.
I just want to let you know that I will probably have to stop being your friend if you keep up with this strange behavior ;)
And for the last time, The bass drum goes on your right side!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
No!!! Not a smooth white front bass drum head.
I just want to let you know that I will probably have to stop being your friend if you keep up with this strange behavior ;)
And for the last time, The bass drum goes on your right side!
Or would it be too disturbing if I took off the lugs on the resonant side of every drum and went all '70s on you guys? How 'bout black dots? Not alot of guys use those anymore either.

And I tried that bass drum on the right-side thing. You guys are all doing it wrong.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Beautiful kit, Bo. Nice setup and of course top notch drums and cymbals.

I really like simple kits. I think they're the best. Just hats, crash and a ride. I use and like 4-pieces, but I must admit that seeing a standard 5-piece with the toms over the bass drum is kinda refreshing, you don't get to see much of those these days.

And I'd say give that white bass reso a try. Since you're on the vintage road, you could get a Coated Ambassador and add a felt strip. Maybe get a smaller/vintage TAMA decal, or even no logo at all, just the little Remo crown looks nice.

Anyway, congrats, lovely kit. Cheers!

Yopps

Lefties for the win!

Did you play left handed sets ups when starting out or were you forced to play right handed at some point?

harryconway

Platinum Member
Yeah, tough crowd on those pedals .... just shows that "to each, his own". I have one one of those Tama kick pedals, in my collection. Compression spring, direct drive ... certainly, not a pedal for every man, but dialed in and maintained, not a bad pedal, and I have the legless version of that hi-hat ... I use it when ever I get "electronic" gigs that require me to use a lot of floor space on loopers and controllers.​

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Joke Fail.

Hey Bo, why do you refer to yourself in third-person? Do you have Dissociative Identity Disorder or are you just THAT good?

But seriously, nice set of woods there B(r)o. How old are your zildjians?
I don't think I've ever referred to myself in the third-person. Perhaps Bo does ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Lefties for the win!

Did you play left handed sets ups when starting out or were you forced to play right handed at some point?
I've always played left-handed. When I was 15 and joined a drum & bugle corps I learned all of the book and rudiments playing right. Then that screwed me up for the next five years after that ;).

Actually, only now this late in the game am I being forced to play a right-handed set-up for my new gig with Disney.

Yopps

I've always played left-handed. When I was 15 and joined a drum & bugle corps I learned all of the book and rudiments playing right. Then that screwed me up for the next five years after that ;).

Actually, only now this late in the game am I being forced to play a right-handed set-up for my new gig with Disney.
I'm lefty but was taught on a right hand kit. Teacher wouldn't rearrange the kit for lessons everytime and so I was "conditioned" to play right handed ever since, who knows what kind of damage this has done...