Blind Crash Test

PQleyR

Platinum Member
They sound startlingly similar tonally, but the pitches are radically different. It's as if they were all the same brand and line but in different sizes.

My personal preference is for 3 and 1.

EDIT: Having found out what they are I'm pleased to note that I went for same two brands as if I'd known which they were!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I found them all to be very monotone & single voice. No real complexity of overtones & timbre. If I was to go for any of them, it would be number 3, but even that was a bit bright & boring. They all sounded like B8 cymbals & certainly no hand hammering.

Chromium

I'm with PQleyR for me it's 3, 1, 2, 4 - I really don't like number 4. Number 3 sounds like a good all-round crash, but I reckon it's possibly the most expensive too.

I'll only watch the reveal video when there's a few postings here as I'm interested to see if my hearing and taste matches others. I've never been a gear snob, but just want something that sounds good and continues to sound good.
Which actually also raises the question do cymbals change sound as they get older/dirtier/duller/tarnished?

MikeM

Platinum Member
I liked 2 and 3 the best. I suspected that 2 might be a Sabian because it had that soft dullness to it, but it still sounded cool to my ears. The big surprise for me was how much I disliked 1 and how I thought 4 was in the running!

Two things that affected how I perceived those cymbals was that one, I generally don't care for 16" crashes so they all sounded a little higher than what I'm used to, and two, it's always easy to be thrown by a recording.

It would be more effective if he said, "Here's 4 medium-thin crashes of the same size and general concept..." so you wouldn't have a randomly-hammered thin K Custom comparing to a medium-thin evenly-hammered AAX. That was essentially a dark Zildjian up against a bright Sabian, which wasn't the stated intent (to decide on sound, not label) though interestingly, the Zildjian still seemed brighter to me.

A medium-thin Avedis vs. a medium-thin AA vs. Sig Full vs. 2oo2 Crash would have been more apples to apples. Then maybe another round with K/HH/Trads or Twenties/Byzance or whatever.

MLdrum

I didn't like any of them particularly well. Maybe the recording did something to them, maybe it's because I have become
a more jazz person (when it's about my equipment), or maybe I'm weird :p Personally I think that there wasn't that much
difference in tone quality, but more in pitch and some minor differences in character. But I have to say that I didn't listen
through a studio headset or on a magnificent stereo.

If I had to pick, I would've gone for nr 3 or 2... But for any of my two kits now, I wouldn't buy any of them :s

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I wouldn't get any of them either, but I think that's just because they're very high-pitched for the sort of thing I typically play.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I picked number 3 out as my fav, and when I saw what it was I realized that I own one of them that is 1 inch larger.

NC68

Not to diminish choosing a cymbal that's pleasing to your ears but most people in the audience probably would not be able to distinguish the difference between any of the 4.

My vote was 2, 1, 3, 4...and I own number 1...ha!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
You guys are cheating! I've no idea what they are. I like smaller size crashes. I currently have 15" & 17", so I can judge these without the size dislike issue getting in the way. I'm still not really liking any of them much, but I like layers of flavour & overtones, these are very single voice pieces. You can tell me this without ruining the thread, are they all B8 & not hand hammered?

Mapex----Maniac

My favorites were 1,3,4,2. I was suprised when I found out what 4 was! And as said above, I could immediatley tell that number 2 was a sabian, beause of its soft feel. I had played the aax before, but it sounded much better in person, I think it might be the mics or the camera but I didnt like it very much in this video.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
You guys are cheating! I've no idea what they are. I like smaller size crashes. I currently have 15" & 17", so I can judge these without the size dislike issue getting in the way. I'm still not really liking any of them much, but I like layers of flavour & overtones, these are very single voice pieces. You can tell me this without ruining the thread, are they all B8 & not hand hammered?
There are B20 pies in the mix.
In my case, I didn't know what cymbal that it was, I just knew that I liked it the best.
I later looked and saw that I owned a version of it.
I'm not surprised that I picked a cymbal that is similar to a cymbal that I like a lot.
I have also listened to many recordings of my cymbal so I am used to how the mic treats it.

Last edited:

toddbishop

Platinum Member
All thin or medium thin, no hand hammering- though 2 or 1 could conceivably be really boring/weak Ks, I guess. 2 actually sounds like a Paiste to me, though- maybe a 2002. 3 sounds pretty classically like a Zildjian A or Sabian AA. 4 is the weakest- probably a budget cymbal. I can't place 1- sounds like it could be another cheap cymbal.

After the reveal: I'm most surprised by number 1- that one doesn't live up to the name the company slapped on it. Not shocked to be wrong about 2 and 3 (hope that isn't too much of a spoiler!).

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I always select cymbals based on sound.

What it says on the cymbal is usually all relative.

Pre-1979, most cymbals were not even marked. There were no "thin crash" "medium crash" or "rock crash", there were just "crashes." Drummers had to just sort through a pile of cymbals and pick the ones they liked.

Wick

I thought number 4 or 3 were the best (good taste :3)

I think that the makers of the videos tried to make the cymbals sound similar. Discuss

Edit: I meant 1 and 2

Fuo

Platinum Member
I liked 3 and 1, I cringed every time he hit #4. I was surprised that I didn't like #2 more, I have a 15" AAX that I really like.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
After watching the video, I thought it was pretty obvious #4 was a cheaper model, and #2 was most likely some sort of hand hammered type thing.

The other two seemed pretty generic high end cymbal.

Although I have to admit, part of me thought #1, 2 and #3 could all easily be the same cymbal, given the extreme differences one can find with the same model of a Zildjian.

I think the test wold have been more interesting had he used 18's instead of 16's. But then, maybe because I so rarely ever use a 16", but I think the bigger mass would have given a more pronounced difference between the models.