Bit weird.....kick pedal problem

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Did a gig on Saturday and during sound check and warm ups I was having tremendous problems with my bass pedal sliding sideways and then off the kick drum hoop altogether.

Just couldn't seem to anchor it properly....the drum itself was secure on a very good non-slip carpet (didn't budge an inch). I've had niggles in rehearsals but usually get it anchored ok. But this time (perhaps because it was on a drum carpet???) it just wouldn't, regardless as to how tight I tightened the clamp.

Eventually I became so exasperated I decided to risk unleashing both spurs on the bottom of the kick pedal, and setting it OFF the kick drum hoop itself. Nearly touching but not quite.

It worked perfectly. In fact, better than when it's connected to the hoop.

Does anyone actually set their bass pedal so that it isn't physically connected to their bass drum? Is this a common thing which I have been missing?

Stroman

Platinum Member
For me, that would change the angle of attack between beater and head too much. I have used the spurs in combination with the clamp, though, and that worked well.

longgun

Gold Member
Did a gig on Saturday and during sound check and warm ups I was having tremendous problems with my bass pedal sliding sideways and then off the kick drum hoop altogether.

Just couldn't seem to anchor it properly....the drum itself was secure on a very good non-slip carpet (didn't budge an inch). I've had niggles in rehearsals but usually get it anchored ok. But this time (perhaps because it was on a drum carpet???) it just wouldn't, regardless as to how tight I tightened the clamp.

Eventually I became so exasperated I decided to risk unleashing both spurs on the bottom of the kick pedal, and setting it OFF the kick drum hoop itself. Nearly touching but not quite.

It worked perfectly. In fact, better than when it's connected to the hoop.

Does anyone actually set their bass pedal so that it isn't physically connected to their bass drum? Is this a common thing which I have been missing?
I've never had that happen, but I'd assume it would move to the side worse when it isn't attached......strange, but if it works, do it.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
I've never had that happen, but I'd assume it would move to the side worse when it isn't attached......strange, but if it works, do it.
No...
That's the really weird thing.
I would assume it would, and that it would separate to the point that the pedal ceased striking the head.
When it was attached it was skewing all over the place.
When separated, with kick drum, and pedal properly secured, neither drum moved an inch.
Kept checking it between songs, but hadn't moved a milimetre and I use kick quite aggressively.

It MUST be down to using a drum carpet on the bare stage...there must have been some movement within the carpet itself I guess causing the two to skew.

But it does make me think about using this method always, given that it will save wear and tear, and potential eventual damage, to my kick drum hoop.

It must alter the angle of attack, but it didn't strike me as noticeable...the pedal was still striking my kick drum patch roughly centre...I use rounded beaters so I guess that may help.

It actually felt better...that's what curious about it.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I did a bunch of lounge gigs with a guy who used a small broken down kit to keep the volume down. The pedal was only in the vicinity of the hoop and flopped all over the place. And he would rip off gospel licks with double and triple strokes like the cats you see on the shed sessions. Tried sitting down at that kit a couple of times and never figured out how he did it.