Bill Ludwig III looking for donations to kick-start production?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I know, I saw this yesterday too. Was wondering what to make of it. Does some mega-corporation own the Ludwig name now?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Conn-Selmer is the parent company. So maybe Bill III has nothing to do with the Ludwig company. I just find to hard to believe he doesn't have 15,000.00 to get started.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Yeah. I guess that is the truth. I guess one has to be loyal to the brand to donate money to the cause. And I really think the lugs look cheesy

wildbill

Platinum Member
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/about/history/our-brands/ludwig/

"... In 1973, William Ludwig Sr. passed away and Bill Ludwig Jr. took over as President. In 1981, at 65 years of age, Bill sold the company to the Selmer Company. The Ludwig Factory in Chicago was relocated to Monroe, North Carolina in 1984, where it resides today. Bill Ludwig Jr., who changed his name to Bill Ludwig II, became referred to as “The Chief” and stayed active in the business even in retirement. William F. Ludwig II passed away in March of 2008 at the age of 91..."

Not sure if I'm reading that right, but it sounds like Ludwig was completely sold in 1981.
I take it, the current Ludwig III was never active in the company.

I was just reading about the hassles Bob Moog went through trying to get his company name back again. Might be something similar going on here.
I really have no idea though.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Trust fund babies lament.

Was it Bill Ludwig III who was always hanging around the shop learning about the biz and trying to quell his insatiable drum fever?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
From his website...

WFLIII Drums is part of a tradition of drum builders that goes back over 100 years. The time has come to bring back the #1 name in family drum building. The business has changed, but the people are the same. Hard working, devoted and ready to take on a new mission in drum building. Like my father and my grandfather before me, I knew I had to be part of the drumming community. This is my time to show what The Ludwig Family tradition is to drum building.

William F Ludwig III

President

1981 WFLII Sells the Family Business

WFLII sells his business, Ludwig Drums, to Selmer Company on Damen Avenue.

1984 William F Ludwig III launches WFLIII Drums

WFLIII Drum Company is launched with the introduction of its high-quality snare drum.

https://www.facebook.com/LudwigDrumFamily

wildbill

Platinum Member
From his website...

1984 William F Ludwig III launches WFLIII Drums

WFLIII Drum Company is launched with the introduction of its high-quality snare drum.

https://www.facebook.com/LudwigDrumFamily

So - if I'm getting this right, he's been in business for 31 years and is looking for start up funds.

Also - I'm confused. Is WFLIII = Ludwig?

Or are they completely different companies. Has anyone ever seen WFLIII for sale? The only ones I see are labeled Ludwig.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
He is the President of Ludwig which is owned by Conn- Selmer. He is Ludwig by name and still must have some say in the company.

n 1981 William III sold the business to the Selmer Company (now Conn-Selmer). Selmer closed the Damen Avenue factory in the ensuing years and moved production to North Carolina.[3][7]

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
B3 (or just "3" as he's known on the inside) hadn't been part of Ludwig since the early '80s (possibly 1984 when the factory relocated to Monroe?) where he last served as the artist relations manager.

I'm not sure what the 1984 date for WFLIII drums is about, but he launched his first new snare at the Chicago Show in 2014, which was manufactured by Trick. I believe he was also looking into wood shells from another little-known builder who happens to do great work. Based on this fresh Kickstarter campaign, I'm not sure where that relationship is at right now, especially as he cites Trick in the rewards.

As far as I know, he has no consulting or spokesperson status with Ludwig, and in fact has now set himself up as a competitor.

Bermuda

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Interesting, so it's akin to Dunnet using the George Way name or that guy who just reintroduced Walberg and Auge drums originally made in Worcester Mass?
Are these newly constructed drums simply using the pedigree of an old name for marketing?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Well I went to the Ludwig site under History. I went to his Facebook page, and a Google or two. Don't you just love it.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Interesting, so it's akin to Dunnet using the George Way name or that guy who just reintroduced Walberg and Auge drums originally made in Worcester Mass?
Are these newly constructed drums simply using the pedigree of an old name for marketing?
Can't speak for W&A, but Ronn bought the Geo. Way name and designs and the newly-made drums are very true to the originals. I've got 4 of the new Geo. Way snares and they're great!

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
More akin to if one of the grandkids of the Sabian founder decided to start their own "Zil3" brand making only hi-hats. They have the the experience of making Turkish-style cymbals growing up, no connection to the current company, but the all-important Zildjian surname and pedigree.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
More akin to if one of the grandkids of the Sabian founder decided to start their own "Zil3" brand making only hi-hats. They have the the experience of making Turkish-style cymbals growing up, no connection to the current company, but the all-important Zildjian surname and pedigree.

If those grandkids sourced MEINL as the manufacture.

B3 was never into the drumming side of drum making, actually making the drums. As I remember 3 was just working for his daddy's company in the office.