Best/Worst or Favorite/Least Favorite finishes?

MrTheOne

Just a fun discussion, wondering what some opinions are on drum finishes? Best/Favorite vs Worst/Least Favorite if you like, or just what your opinion is on what looks best, what's not so good aesthetically, etc. What company has the best finishes? Is it an entirely pointless question?

Aaaaand go!...

T

The SunDog

It changes over time. I used to like solid colors esp. piano black lacquer. Then it was stained wood grain, but colors not not natural or walnut or tobacco (I know, those are colors too). Then it was bursts, then fades, then exotics, then bursts or fades over exotics. Currently I'm all gaga over glitters in just about any color. Sparkles are nice, but glitters are too cool.

poekoelan

My favorites are the pearls. Particularly black pearl and blue pearl. I like a nice glossy black too. I like some of the stained and natural wood finishes, but I'd obsess over scratches and such.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Drums are such a great canvas...I can't think of any finishes that I dislike.

Natural wood grains, fades/bursts, sparkles/glitters, sold colours...even the wacky wraps that I see from time to time...love 'em all.

Lug designs however are not so universally adorable.

*cough*DW*cough*

MrTheOne

Drums are such a great canvas...I can't think of any finishes that I dislike.

Natural wood grains, fades/bursts, sparkles/glitters, sold colours...even the wacky wraps that I see from time to time...love 'em all.

Lug designs however are not so universally adorable.

*cough*DW*cough*
DW's lugs don't strike your fancy? Hm, that's a little surprising but I can see why, they are a little large and cover up too much of the finish.

I lean toward glitters myself, and can't go wrong with nice glossy black.

About the only look I just can't get into is the duco finishes. Don't know why companies use those.

Big Stu

Can't stand Wine red... every (below) entry level kit seems to come in wine red so it could be the best kit in the drumming universe but if it's wine red I immediately think cheapo junk

singleflammedmill

Beautiful kit RickP!

I like all kind of finishes but it depends on the drums.

For me a Yamaha Recording Custom should be Solid Black and I really like to some wood when the grain pattern is interesting.

Like this:

Groov-E

Silver Member
Beautiful kit RickP!

I like all kind of finishes but it depends on the drums.

For me a Yamaha Recording Custom should be Solid Black and I really like to some wood when the grain pattern is interesting.

Like this:

Ohhh a nice Unix kit I see there !

Could you tell us more about it, sizes, wood, bearing edges, overall construction ?

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Piano white, piano black, pearlescent or glitter white or black - any transparent finish like ruby red, amber, cherry, dark blue are my favourite. I also like very some silver glitters or black oyster or WMP (on classic Lud !)
And of course natural woody colour, gloss maple, dark mocha,
Really don't like much satin finish, burst, some fades, black hardware (I know it's not finish, but appart from big white Tama I hate dark hardware !)
So really really classic, that's why I don't find proper finish in some brand like Yamaha or Mapex...

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
There are two finishes I like. For my modern set, this one, Yamaha Live Custom:

For my vintage kit, this one, Gretsch:

River19

I am a fan of natural wood or stained finish, something where we can see the grain still. I dislike all the sparkles and mother of pearl and vintage finishes.....

Since someone mentioned Recording Customs.....always loved the burgundy color and the natural of course.....