Best Size Drum Sticks for a 9 year old student?

Sérgio Bolota

Hello there,

i recomend the vic firth kids sticks, as a start. Until the kids got the right risk position and balance, in my opinion with big sticks as a 5A or 7A etc its big and heavy for their age and size of risks as their bones and tendons are in growth. As my experience as a teacher, the kids from 5 to 12 more or less start to get their risks and musceles hurted.
And soon they can get a good risk position and balance of the stick, double strock etc, after that i recomend straight away a proper balanced drum sticks.

example:
http://www.vicfirth.com/product/buynow/product.php?button=KIDS

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My first drum teacher started me on 2B sticks. And for a 10-year-kid like me it worked out great, and when I started teaching I did the same thing. It's not too large, and not too small. The size makes it easier to work on grip issues because if the stick is too thin for a beginner, they won't relax around the stick because it is too small. The heft of the 2B is good too for muscular training at a relaxed pace.

Maybe if the kids hands are really small, I'd try a 5B. But I've always avoided the A's for the beginners.

Elvis

Silver Member
NOTE TO WHOMEVER READS THIS: TRY IT BEFORE YOU KNOCK IT.

A thought just struck me.
Whatever that "brand" of musical instrument is, that is sold in the toy section of Wal-Mart.
I've seen Wally World sell packs of drumsticks under that brand name.
I know, you guys are like, "really?", but the sticks I saw actually weren't all that bad.
They were about 5A size, but just a tad shorter.
The pack had 3 or 4 pairs and was only something like $10.
Heck, at that price, I almost bought a pack for myself!

Elvis

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I think I need me a pair of those light-up sticks - especially if I'm going to baffle everyone with bull&^#$ to hide my own playing abilities!

A

Anthony Amodeo

Ant, perhaps you could take a student to a drum shop and ask them to try out sticks within a range? Get a pad out and see how the stroke is with each stick and ask them how comfortable it is.
this would be ideal if I could go with them .....just not always possible

I wish I could do that more

I had a girl come into a lesson a couple weeks ago with clear plastic sticks that light up upon impact of a surface

needless to say....she used a pair of my sticks for the lesson

many parents are clueless

:)

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Ant, perhaps you could take a student to a drum shop and ask them to try out sticks within a range? Get a pad out and see how the stroke is with each stick and ask them how comfortable it is.

It's very hard to make a recommendation 'for a ten year old'. I used to teach ten-year-olds and physically they are all very different. I was - for example - a very tall ten-year-old (5'6") and my hands weren't much smaller than they are now. 5As would have been just fine for me. Many ten-year-olds are still very small and so they may need a smaller stick. It's very much down to the individual - especially at that age.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I would recommend taking him to a music shop and trying out the sticks and let him choose the one he is comfortable with.
this actually doesn't make sense because an inexperienced child of that age will pick something pleasing to the eye and has no idea what will benefit him as far as weight, circumference , and resistance in relation to the size of their hands

all of my young students love to pick out these "Hot Sticks"...which are colorful and sparkly or have animal prints or say bands names on them.....but they are garbage and have no weight to them and are commonly unmatched with each other

this is why I usually recommend the Vic sig series......they get a nicely weighted stick with a comfortable circumference ...plus they get the colors that young kids seem to love

many of my young students choose the Gadd or Weckl models all the time

Last edited:

Mukund

I would recommend taking him to a music shop and trying out the sticks and let him choose the one he is comfortable with.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
There are also the Jojo Mayer sticks which are sort of 5A diameter but a bit shorter. In between the kid sticks and regular ones.

Also, the Vic Firth maple sticks like the SD10 or SD2 Bolero (for a kid who's older or has larger hands) for pad use. Lighter but not tiny.

S

saturnrules

if you need to ask you shouldn't be teaching this student anyway..
Seriously? You're a jabroni dude.

Steve Gadd signatures is what my cousin uses. He loves them. He's 4y.o.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Hi all, Can anyone recommend a best size drumstick for a 9 year old student?

I'm thinking a 7A. Anyone with any experience of this?

many thanks
Gavin
7A are just a bit light for a beginner doing pad work

5B always seem to do the trick ......or anything in between

the SD1 is nice for a pad and some snare work.....but bit cumbersome for the kit

I find a lot of my young students really like the Vic Firth sig series sticks because of thier colors

the Gadd and Weckl sticks are really popular with my students ......and both are really good sizes as well

mandrew

Gold Member
I startde in about 9th grade and started with a 2B. Never had a problem, but I have really come to favor Vick Firth SD1 as the best all around stick for practice and playing for a student. Maple gives good thickness and length without too much weight on young muscles.

Elvis

Silver Member
Kids are people, too.
They come in all kinds of sizes, relative to their respective age.
Vic Firth makes a "Kid stick". Depending on the size of the child, that may work for them.
Best thiing to do, is go through the stick rack with them and let them pick out the stick that feels best to them.

Elvis

A

audiotech

When I started I was 8 and I used what my dad used which were 7A's.

Take him to a well stocked drum shop and have him try a few pairs on for size.

Dennis

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
My son started playing when he was very young so this is what I experienced.
Depending on the kid's hand size, Pro Mark makes a couple different "Jr." sticks that range to just slightly smaller than a regular stick. The Phil Collins stick is slightly smaller too.

Vic Firth Steve Gadd, or the Vater equivalent would probably be a good size for a 9 year old too.

Good luck!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
5A would be a standard place to start. It depends a little bit.

The drummers in the schoolband I'm conducting use 5A and some also 5B at home. I got them some 7As though as it was to hard for them to keep it soft enough for certain songs. For work beginning work on a pad I think they're too light

bigd

Silver Member
7A is a terrible choice. 5A is more likely. If you're teaching snare drum then SD1. Honestly if you need to ask you shouldn't be teaching this student anyway..

BabyBob

Silver Member
Wait didn't know Gavin(Harrison) teaches 9 year old student...cool.

Anyways I'd go with 7A too, small and comfy for the child's tender hands :)