Best shuffles?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Is this what defines the shuffle?
I'd say no, but I'm just using my own experience as my source of info.

It's well known that the shuffle is a series of triplets with the middle partial of every triplet left out. This has to be played with at least one limb, for 99% of the song...or the feel has to be maintained with a combination of different limbs front to back, to qualify as a shuffle if you asked me. IMO a real shuffle...the shuffle pattern is there for the whole song, it defines the feel. If you just drop a shuffle feel in for a section, I'd say it's not a shuffle. However, I do dearly love tunes that go from straight feeling time to shuffle time. I particularly like the Allman Brother's treatment of Freddy King's "Woman Across the River".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFeIT-u8us

Great example of the difference between a shuffle feel and a straighter feel within one song. I wouldn't call it a shuffle, because there's a lot of it in straight time. I'd call it a multiple feel song, my term.

A 12/8...AKA slow blues...while being triplet based, it doesn't feel like a shuffle at all to me. Because the middle partial isn't left out. If there's one single defining feature of a shuffle, as far as I can tell, it's the omitting of the middle partial of a triplet. I'm going with that.

Last edited:

J-Boogie

Gold Member
And if not then is still a pretty nice piece of music..

Nice albums, those early ones from Jeff Beck..

And some of his later ones too btw..
I dug his old albums....then I LOVED Live at Ronnie Scotts. His guitar is as expressive as Miles' trumpet! Maybe, I dunno, but I find him mesmerizing

alparrott

Platinum Member
To answer the OP's question, I have quit worrying and started to love the shuffle. Once my most hated beat, it has become a fun and enjoyable way to pass six to ten minutes of my gig.

On my covers band's setlist, I enjoy "Sweet Home Chicago" and "Cold Shot" as straight-ahead shuffles, and we have "Tush" and "La Grange" in there for you Texas shuffle freaks.

"Spirit in the Sky" is a pretty deep shuffle groove for a pop song.

The beloved/hated duo of half-time shuffles: "Rosanna" and "Fool In The Rain". ("Hold The Line" is almost a shuffle, but too much straight-ahead eighth-note triplets.)