Best Rudiment book?

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Stick Control, Stick Control, and Stick Control.

Syncopation By Ted Reed is also good.
While it is a great book ( a must have, a classic), Stick Control is not a book that will teach you rudiments. I can see suggesting Stick Control since it has doubles, singles, diddle combinations, and flam combinations. Basically, it gives you the fundamentals to play rudiments, but it is not specifically a rudiment book.

I don't know how Syncopation could possibly be considered a rudiment book.

I would suggest Rudimental Primer by Mitchell Peters. See link. It gives an overview of each rudiment, technique exercises, and practical appications.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/2771/snare-drum-books

Jeff

Last edited:

rdb

Those John Wooten (Dr Throwdown) books are great. I would also highly recommend Stick Technique by Bill Bachman. That book doesn't cover every rudiment, but it covers a core set of rudiments that capture the most important motions, each with great explanations, great development exercises, and fun chops builders. Bill also has DVDs that demonstrate it all.

haroldo_psf

Those John Wooten (Dr Throwdown) books are great. I would also highly recommend Stick Technique by Bill Bachman. That book doesn't cover every rudiment, but it covers a core set of rudiments that capture the most important motions, each with great explanations, great development exercises, and fun chops builders. Bill also has DVDs that demonstrate it all.
+1 on Bill's Stick Technique. Complement it with Bill's DVD or private skype hand technique lessons

A

Anthony Amodeo

all these books mentioned are great

but the best one Ive seen for applying rudiments to the drum kit and seamlessly combining them is Pat Petrillos Hands Grooves and Fills book

tons of useful applications for rudiment combinations around the kit displayed in a very simple way and accompanied by a CD with demonstrations

lots of solos built of these combinations you could play on just the pad or apply them to the kit written in a very creative short hand

highly recommended

drumkat

ADVANCED PARADIDDLES by Dave Tough.

This book absolutely tears apart every combination of the 'diddle with accents all over each measure.

dmacc

Platinum Member
ADVANCED PARADIDDLES by Dave Tough.

This book absolutely tears apart every combination of the 'diddle with accents all over each measure.
I have been using this book daily for the last few months. Though I must say I've been through many, many snare books as well.

I actually printed it and spiral bound it. So ahead of it's time.

yesdog

Silver Member
The all american drummer rudimental solos, by Charley Wilcoxon. This book is a nightmare for me. I love it.

yesdog

Silver Member
Oh thank God I'm NOT the only person who finds this book a challenge! lol
Its a book that has snare drum solos that apply the use of all the rudiments. Rudiments are the foundation for drumming, thats why they are called rudiments. Do you have any solos up to march tempo yet, and play them smoothly and hit all of the accents? I don't.