Best quick lock cymbal nuts?

Merlin5

Gold Member
(Sorry, this probably should be in the other gear forum)

Hey guys, I'm deliberating on which to buy out of

The Cymlok
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXA-QCN-8-CymLok-8mm-Cymbal-Stand-Quick-Release-Wing-Nuts-Pearl-TAMA-Mapex-/231132874569?var=&hash=item35d097c749:m:mRiCFnZMhkVXflZgM-75muw

or the Tama QC8
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401258898774

I've read that the Tama one is good but prone to flying off the stand.
The Cymlok is supposed to be good, though I'm not keen on the bulbous shape.

Others I know of are the Vater Slick Nut and the Pearl Snap Lock, both of which are considerably more expensive, and the Pearl mechanism isn't as appealing as the others .

Anyone have a favourite out of these?

andtfoot

I use the Tama ones, and the only time I've had them come off is if I'm trying to keep as much slack as possible for the cymbal and have the clamp right at the edge of the threads. I could probably fix this by reducing the felt thickness.
Otherwise, I've found them pretty good; definitely better than wingnuts.

Superman

Gold Member
+1 for the Tama ones. I use them on all my stands. I have only had them fly off when I don't put them down far enough. It's operator error, nothing to do with the product. I fully recommend them.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have the Tama, but just a note, if you have short threaded tops to your stands you will have to turn the Tama locking nuts upside down. They do still work.

brentcn

Platinum Member
No one has tried the Vater ones?

The Tamas fly off for me. Using Yamaha stands, and yep, need to place them upside down. Maybe there aren't enough threads...

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I really like the Sonor ones with a thick rubber band around them, that you pinch like a peg to remove. The screw into position for fine tuning, but not as strong as an actual wingnut, but I don't need that.
They remove with one hand in one second, which I love at the end of the night. They're available in 6mm and 8mm versions too.

Merlin5

Gold Member
I have the Tama, but just a note, if you have short threaded tops to your stands you will have to turn the Tama locking nuts upside down. They do still work.
The Tamas fly off for me. Using Yamaha stands, and yep, need to place them upside down. Maybe there aren't enough threads...

Thanks chaps, interesting. Well two of mine are yamahas, so maybe will need to turn upside down. However, I read this from another drum forum that someone posted a few years ago about the Tamas:

"I use the Tama Quick Set Cymbal Mates on almost all my stands. I love them, they've never popped off and they allow the cymbals to move freely. I've hit the nuts several times on accident and they stayed in place. The only stand I don't use this on is one that has a very long cymbal sleeve, so the Cymbal Mate barely holds on. I used it for a rehearsal and it didn't come off, but I would rather be safe with that one.
What I understand to be the problem with these is a lot of people were putting them on backwards. I tested this out and it flew off with no problem. So, try these out in a store on some 8MM stands. If pressed down tightly they will stay secure. The cymbal should still have plenty of freedom to move (mine do), unless you have super thick felts on both sides.
"

Blisco

This thread encouraged me to try the Tama quick release ones.

Got a pack of 4 shipped to my door for $14. Worth it, I suppose. If I can save 3 minutes pulling cymbals off at the end of the night, that's 3 more minutes of precious after-gig sleep.

I have 4 crashes so these will not be struck. I am leaving the metal wingnut on the ride for the time being. Just in case.

Merlin5

Gold Member
How you getting on with them Blisco?

I've ordered 4 of the Tamas from Thomann in Germany (whilst ordering 5 pairs of Vic Firth 5A sticks from them which comes with a free Vic Firth T-Shirt \o/. Although pity they don't do medium size, only large). Should be here by end of the week so I'll report back with my thoughts.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I can't get along with anything wider than the cymbal hole, so I use Cymbal Crowns. I always hit the wide ones and they ruin my high. CC's are made out of what feels like hard rubber. I use hi hat felts as cymbal felts on them because gravity won't make them fall off in transport. Cymbals are quick on quick off after the first few initial fittings which are tight. I have to replace them like every 2 years or so, only on the crash cymbals. I never replaced the broken cymbal crown on my ride, the cymbal is heavy and flat enough. Just the tips break on the CC, they still protect the cymbal even with broken tips. Except there's nothing stopping the wind from flipping your cymbal off the stand, or a heavily angled cymbal hit hard from flipping off when they are broken. I play flat cymbals, my guess is they would wear faster with an angled cymbal. Still, the best thing I have found from a players POV. Hollywood's idea is good too, make the post tower like a foot over your cymbal lol. Skinny is the main thing I look for in cymbal toppers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cymbal+crown&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS688US688&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7zNmKrNvRAhWBGJAKHcw3DPgQ_AUICSgC&biw=1366&bih=638#imgrc=nmhwjhgphrJxfM:

Last edited:

Merlin5

Gold Member
Hi larry, good to see you.

"I always hit the wide ones and they ruin my high".

Do you mean you hit them when you're playing the bell?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Hollywood's idea is good too, make the post tower like a foot over your cymbal lol.
Those are Camber T-Tops. You can buy them on Ebay and Amazon.

I don't use top felts on my cymbals so these babies have saved me lots of time setting up. Also I can stow my cymbals quickly and throw them in the bag quickly before I get off stage.

brady

Platinum Member
I picked up some of these a couple months ago. They've been perfect for me.

http://www.pinch-clip.com/

I never use a top felt, and I just wanted something simple the keep the bottom felt from coming off during transport. It's completely unnecessary once I'm set up at the gig but I suppose it does give a nice finished look to the set up.