Best Music School

JoeLackey

I've recently been looking into music schools to further my education at my craft. I've looked at Berklee, Musicians Institute, Atlanta Institute of Music, Cleveland Institute of Music, Drummers Collective, Juilliard, etc. Out of these (or any that I didn't mention), which would you say, or think, would be the best for study? Why? Thank you for your attention and input.

cathartic_j

I've recently been looking into music schools to further my education at my craft. I've looked at Berklee, Musicians Institute, Atlanta Institute of Music, Cleveland Institute of Music, Drummers Collective, Juilliard, etc. Out of these (or any that I didn't mention), which would you say, or think, would be the best for study? Why? Thank you for your attention and input.
As with most things, the "best" depends on what exactly you're looking for. For example, the University of North Texas probably has the best jazz department around, while Oberlin offers the opportunity to attend a music conservatory and get a top-notch liberal arts education. So... what exactly are you looking for?

JoeLackey

As with most things, the "best" depends on what exactly you're looking for. For example, the University of North Texas probably has the best jazz department around, while Oberlin offers the opportunity to attend a music conservatory and get a top-notch liberal arts education. So... what exactly are you looking for?
I've heard nothing but great things from UNT, but I'm not looking into a university. The schools I mentioned had drumset performance, and that's what I would want. As well as one with a job placement - or M.I. has "Hiring Hall". Ed Soph is a teacher at UNT, correct? Thank you.

mamad gonzo

hi guys ... I seriously need help ... My future depends on these issues ... Help please

1. According to my research Conservatory of Europe than for America to modern style better ... Right?

2. Which Conservatory USA for drummers in all styles of modern / jazz / rock are more appropriate?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
This is such an important question that it really requires a more serious approach than asking opinions online. You would be best served by contacting the schools mentioned directly, speak to an official representative from each school, have a load of questions for them written down. Better yet, if you could visit the schools while in session, that could really answer a lot of unknowns.

Of course my reply is really just another opinion out of thousands. Best of luck to you in the pursuit of an education. Keep us informed of what you decide!

KBadd

Silver Member
University of North Texas. This is my opinion BEFORE reading the other posts. All the best!!!!!! Denton is a cool place.

mamad gonzo

Thank you all really ...
I'm Iranian and the things that I write with the help of Google's translator.
Sorry if my sentences are tumbling.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Not to open another can of worms (I recall a thread where we all argued about this point, ad nauseum...) BUT:

I would recommend you find some of your hero drummers, get in touch with them, and talk to them about what they did to get where they are. I'm assuming you've been watching the professionals and want to do what they do. So why not ask them how they achieved their status?

The one example I used when discussing this is, if you want to be a successful gas station owner, go talk to a guy who owns a successful gas station. He'll know more about the ins and outs of being successful at it than the professor teaching people how to get their MBAs.

There are several pros listed right here on Drummerworld. I'm sure with the help of the site administrators, they might be able to be a conduit for you to converse with some professionals. This approach I think would be the better way to discover which school, if any, you should go to. I only lean this way because many people I know have gone to music school and perhaps, are a little disappointed that they've not really realized their dream of being an in-demand drumset player, or other musician.

Our own forum member Bermuda is a professional working drummer here in Los Angeles, having been Weird Al Yankovic's drummer for years. I'm sure he has alot to say about this subject.

It's all about options and desire, I say.

Funnyman

I would go to Berklee just because Juliard is extremely hard to get into, while M.I is a school where people spend thousands on end, then get no where, it's a trade school. If I were you, I would go to a state university for two years for whatever you want to get into, then apply to Berklee for two years.