Best jazz albums(with great jazz drumming)?

whoreian

so im looking for good jazz(traditional/fusion/bebop/new orleans/experimental) albums to widen my jazz knowledge(i play mostly acid,fusion,nu,swing,bebop) so i'd appreciate reccomendations. embarrased to say so but im not even familiar with the classics.

would be a plus if you recommend albums with great traditional jazz drumming.

Richard.Awesome

There are a million, but the group listed in John Riley's Art of Bop Drumming is great to start with.

Miles Davis - Milestones
Art Blakey - Moanin'
Art Pepper plus Eleven
Clifford Brown & Max Roach
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
Haynes, Chambers, Newborn - We Three

And a few more:

McCoy Tyner - The Real Mccoy
Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Thelonious Monk - Misterio
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, Africe/Brass and Olé (among all)

ALL OF THESE feature INCREDIBLE drumming. Philly Joe Jones, Art Blakey, Mel Lewis, Max Roach, Frankie Dunlop, Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams and Jimmy Cobb are the drummers from these albums. Check out more on album info on wikipedia.

Richard.Awesome

If you've got time and Netflix, you should check out Ken Burn's Jazz documentary. It will give you a lot of great history of jazz up until about 1970.

Fishbones

Silver Member
The greatest, IMO:

NEFERTITI by Miles Davis. Tony Williams, the greatest drummer who ever lived, on drums.
Get it. Listen to it. Love it.

wsabol

Gold Member
FREE FOR ALL - Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers.

This is one of the best jazz albums ever.. Art Blakey is a beast on it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Also Chick Corea's first Return to Forever album with Airto on drums and Dave Brubeck's Take Five Compilation Vol I & II

whoreian

thanks so much guys.really helped alot simply by answering.but its so hard to find these albums where i am esp art blakey!!!
just got miles davis's kind of blue and almost got a thelonious monk and dave brubeck album but found a compilation album(late nights and cool jazz) which had alot of songs on it.shall continue my search thanks for the help so far!!

jmanhughes

Anything Dave Brubeck! Great stuff. Go to any used CD/record store and I'm sure they will have some stuff. Otherwise, he's got a lot of CDs on Amazon.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Great suggestions guys and gals. The jazz wikepedia article is a good historic view of the variance in jazz. So you can explore nuances in jazz.
I really liked the influence Tony Williams had on my own playing.

whoreian

going to youtube to listen to all of this,all the drummers are crazy!!! i knew of some before but still it has helped me so much by watching.helped my playing and music knowledge.thanks!!!

rjvsmb

I don't know about the "Best" but how about....

Maiden Voyage: Herbie Hancock; Tony Williams on Drums

Shelly Mann and His Men Live at the Blackhawk Vol 1 - 4: Shelly Mann on Drums

Enjoy.

Cheers,
-r

whoreian

i listened to some songs from Mccoy Tyner's Land of Giants with the crazy eric harland on drums.one of the few newer jazz albums i found which are awesome!! you guys should check it out if you havent.they are like one brain man