Best Drummers in History

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
To give that list any crediblity, just change the tiltle of the thread to My favorite Rock drummers...otherwise the list is a complete joke!

1.Gene Krupa
2.Buddy Rich
3.Keith Moon
4.John Bonham
5.Tony Williams
6.Thomas Lang
7.Stanton Moore
8.Benny Grebb
9.Jo Jo Mayer
10.Dave Weckl
11.Steve Gadd
12.Mike Portnoy
13.Neil Peart
14.Louise Bellson
15.Art Blakey

Thats my opinion. If I was to do a top 20, Travis Barker would be in it. But because of what he has done for drumming. Plus his Blink stuff is great.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I don't think there is such a thing as "best" anything. It's all just about our preferences..
Not that door again!! Let it be closed!! Every one that ever sits behind the instrument is equal!
Seriously, those two must be the worst topics ever.

Having said that - one thought from me nevertheless: Why cut it to exactly 10 drummers?
This precept ruins all before it's begun.

aydee

Platinum Member
I've listed my top 10 favorite drummers here http://top10.co/top-10-drummers/andrewcartland

Let me know if you agree/disagree. You can remix or add different drummers. You'll see I'm a little biased towards the mid-90s!

Cheers

Andy
He is taking about his favorite drummers in his post.

Yes, the crime seems to be that the title is somewhat loaded' and misleading. But if this guy turns out to be a 12 yr old kid who is all excited about sharing his worldview with other drummers, and we give him the full monty instead, for not knowing the difference between 'the best' and 'my favorites', I'm going to feel pretty lousy.

Last edited:
No question among the very best drummers would be those playing in Switzerland in marching bands. Scotland ditto. Then there are the tribal guys in Africa laying down some unbelievably complex patterns, often in multiple parts and unusual time signatures. I am not sure where to find the threads, but Joe Morello talked about the Swiss and Scot drummers, and Max Roach talked about the African drummers. There have been a couple of CDs over the years that feature drumming from around the world. How about the Japanese drummers too? If you haven't checked them out yet you are in for a treat.

The thing is, if you dig it, it is good.

I agree with all the comments about the jazz greats and would like to make a special plug for those coming out of the New Orleans tradition. Not just one or two drummers, but the whole bunch, spanning almost 100 years, have a special feel that I just love.

Bill

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Yes, the crime seems to be that the title is somewhat loaded' and misleading. But if this guy turns out to be a 12 yr old kid who is all excited about sharing his worldview with other drummers, and we give him the full monty instead, for not knowing the difference between 'the best' and 'my favorites', I'm going to feel pretty lousy.
Agreed .