Best Bigband playalongs for drums?

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hey,

I'm currently looking for backing tracks for my Berklee audition which is on the 26th february.

I might get a very, very nice BigBand tune by Laurence Cottle (London bassist and arranger) but he really needs his time so I'm not sure if I'll get it in time to practice it enough.

I was wondering if anybody of you knows any books that come along with playalongs for bigband music. Nicely recorded, not programmed.. Without drums and especially without click.

Looking forward to your replies!

David

Red Menace

Platinum Member
You can't go to Berkeley! It'll put such a delay on your modeling career. Now get out there and strut that German mug. You're not going to get that Gap contract sitting in your room playing drums!

...I'm sorry for my post.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band.

Also, there's Studio and Big Band drumming by Steve Houghton. The play alongs are just piano and bass (and they are stellar!), which might actually work in your favor when it comes time to audition in real life.

David Floegel

Silver Member
@Andy: Thought so! Haha

You can't go to Berkeley! It'll put such a delay on your modeling career. Now get out there and strut that German mug. You're not going to get that Gap contract sitting in your room playing drums!

...I'm sorry for my post.
That's why I'm going to berklee and not to berkeley :p
Plus I'm not in germany anymore, i'm sitting in my room in london :D

@brentcn:
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Damn, that was exactly what I was looking for. Nevertheless, I read that the tracks included are not the full length of the track?
I've checked out the Steve Houghton thing as well - looks good!
Do you happen to have any of these?

Bestest

David

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Yes, I recommend the Big Phat Band...and the minus drums are FULL LENGTH play alongs! Good luck, and knock it out...

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Yes, I recommend the Big Phat Band...and the minus drums are FULL LENGTH play alongs! Good luck, and knock it out...

crash

Gordon Goodwin has a couple of good books. Also, check Music Minus 1. Just Google it. They have 4 or 5 different books without drum tracks, and the charts that go with them. Good Luck!

Red Menace

Platinum Member
@Andy: Thought so! Haha

That's why I'm going to berklee and not to berkeley :p
Plus I'm not in germany anymore, i'm sitting in my room in london :D
Touché mein heir! I actually lived in Berkeley, CA in my youth so the Music school's spelling still looks strange to me. Also a shame about your modeling career...

In all seriousness though, the best of luck to you. I am filled with a mix of glee and terror when I think about the beast of a player you're going to be after studying at BerkLEE.

David Floegel

Silver Member
Aaah haha, I knew there was something called Berkeley but wasn't sure what it was..
Yeah, shame about my modeling career indeed. But I would need to work out for that (cause I've gotten fat) and I'm too lazy for that. I'm almost not able to manage going out for a run every 2 days... :p

I hope I get in - problem is: i need a full scholarship.

Oh and btw: It's mein Herr, not Heir ;)

RickP

Gold Member
Steve Fidyk has a couple books out on Big Band drumming and chart reading that have play along number , with and without drum tracks.

Caz

Hi David, I've got both the Steve Houghton and Gordon Goodwin books and live in central London, if you want to have a listen through before buying you're very welcome. Have you checked out the videos online from other drummers about tips for applying to Berklee?