Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Great drummer but has an issue bullshitting-even about the year he was born as he claims 1939 when actually 1941. He did play on the Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Band Soundtrack from the flick so maybe he's just stretching the truth a bit-so technically he has played on a Beatles album-just with no Beatle LOL.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story ha ha.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Would love to see this guy in person. Doubt he'd come to the UK mind :(

People get really touchy about the whole Ringo thing. My opinion is it has always been the done thing in pop music.

There has been way better drummers than Ringo that have turned out to be Hal Blaine.

Anyways back on track would love to been sat in the instrumental Aja sessions they did for Classic Albums. Purdie and Chuck Rainey are a mans rhythm section.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
Purdie is like the grandpa figure of drums. You just listen to him and crack up at all of his jokes, and you hope one day you can play like him.

Richard.Awesome

Wasn't the story that Purdie re-recorded some early Ringo stuff so they were punchier for the US release? Or at least that's how I heard it.. One of my all-time favs either way!

Richard.Awesome

I was fortunate enough to catch a Purdie clinic, live show, and did a private lesson during 2013. I'm sure I've mentioned it, but it was just incredible to be able to get honest feedback from my hero. Always a showman, but during both the clinic and lesson, he genuinely wanted to help others and didn't "showboat" about himself in anyway.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Wasn't the story that Purdie re-recorded some early Ringo stuff so they were punchier for the US release? Or at least that's how I heard it.. One of my all-time favs either way!
That's the rumour.

Although how he managed to pull that off given the Beatles recordings of that era were all done on 4 track, is beyond me. How the hell does one manage to track over drums that have already been bounced down numerous times already?

His story just doesn't add up. Unless he was in the original sessions, I just can't see how the technology of the day allows for this claim.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Not Ringo. Pete Best.

After the Beatles broke big, someone dug up some old demos recorded in Germany with Pete Best on drums. Because the drums were hard to hear, Purdie was hired to recorded new drums over of the existing recordings, which were sold to the un-suspecting public as "new" Beates songs.

But these recordings were limited a few USA only singles, and none of the actual albums, and nothing the Beatles themselves had approved.

Purdie himself probably had no idea it wasn't Ringo he was over dubbing. But then he had to go and exaggerate (or not remember) that it was entire albums over a small handful of songs.

Somewhere on this forum there is a larger thread with the links to proper evidence of what really happened.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
Honestly I don't care if he recorded with the Beatles or not. I wasn't there so I'm not going to say he was a liar just because of something I read on the internet, at the same time maybe he was telling the truth. It really doesn't matter because he has an entire groove named after himself and it will be a long long time until the purdie shuffle dies.