Beginning drummer wants to buy new drums

Thepac123

Hi. I'm a beginning drummer and I have never had drums and they seem cool I wanna start to play but I don't know which drums are good quality and are cheap suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Dipschmidt

Hi. I'm a beginning drummer and I have never had drums and they seem cool I wanna start to play but I don't know which drums are good quality and are cheap suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Go with a ludwig accent cs combo. Great drums for beginners.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Don't be afraid of buying a quality used set either.....especially if you're in the States. There looks to be some killer deals on the used market in the US at present.

MetallicaItalian

Well, I'd say give us a price range first. I don't know how serious you are or might become but if you want anything nicer than poplar, Philippine mahogany, or basswood you'll probably have to pay around $600 for a 5 piece kit with hardware.

There is a 100% Birch 5-piece Ludwig Accent on musiciansfriend for $600. Nice lacquer finish and tom mounts too.

Of course you'd need cymbals as well. If I knew how serious about drumming I'd become, I would have considered my old Sabian B8's a waste of money. Though pro cymbals seem ridiculously expensive, the beginner ones are still rather pricey for how long they last and sound. A pro cymbal pack can easily cost you as much as your drum kit though. For you, I'd recommend a starter pack because of their value. I can only soak from experience with Sabian B8's and Zildjian ZBT's and I can say the B8's sound MUCH better. Though their price may be attractive, I would avoid the brass Solar/Planet Z options altogether.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
What electric drum kit would u recommend? I'm looking to buy electric rather than acoustic
I've heard great things about both Roland and Yamaha's. The only set I've actually tried out myself was a set of Roland TD-9's. Gotta say I loved 'em. The mesh heads were the 'bees knees' I thought. When finances allow, I'll certainly pick myself up a set for practice at home.

My best advice is to go into a music store and try out everything you can, see what works for you, what you like/don't like about each one etc.....and then look for a used set. Quite often, buying a used e-kit will mean that you get the headphones, amp/speakers, maybe even the throne and kick pedal etc thrown into the whole deal. Whereas paying retail will mean that you've gotta pick all these things up at additional cost.

But, try everything and 'feel your way around' first. When you get sold on something, look around for it on the used market.

Thepac123

I've heard great things about both Roland and Yamaha's. The only set I've actually tried out myself was a set of Roland TD-9's. Gotta say I loved 'em. The mesh heads were the 'bees knees' I thought. When finances allow, I'll certainly pick myself up a set for practice at home.

My best advice is to go into a music store and try out everything you can, see what works for you, what you like/don't like about each one etc.....and then look for a used set. Quite often, buying a used e-kit will mean that you get the headphones, amp/speakers, maybe even the throne and kick pedal etc thrown into the whole deal. Whereas paying retail will mean that you've gotta pick all these things up at additional cost.

But, try everything and 'feel your way around' first. When you get sold on something, look around for it on the used market.
Would u mind telling me if this drum kit on eBay is worth buying.
http://iphone.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?aid=140362906876&sv=Electric drum kits&emvcc=0

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'd love to mate, BUT.......two things. 1). I can't see the item (the link takes me to the page, but the actual item is not visible to me.
And 2). I don't live in the US so my idea of 'fair value' is only what I can gather by reading the posts from you guys Stateside. I'll guarantee you, someone on these forums will set you straight as to price though. Sorry I can't help further.

Thepac123

I'd love to mate, BUT.......two things. 1). I can't see the item (the link takes me to the page, but the actual item is not visible to me.
And 2). I don't live in the US so my idea of 'fair value' is only what I can gather by reading the posts from you guys Stateside. I'll guarantee you, someone on these forums will set you straight as to price though. Sorry I can't help further.
O it's cool dud thx for the help tho I got a pretty good idea of what I should get thx.