Bass player looking for some advice

davidmpires

Hi everyone

I'm David and I'm a bass player, after years of watching drummers being the loudest members of the band I decided i want to learn how to play it.

My main influence to learn the Drums is Carter Beauford, he's the one responsible for my sudden urge to play drums.

I'm in need of some advice, I play bass already and of course spend far too much money in gear, so I decided to get myself a practice pad to see if I enjoy the drums, but I don't know what to get, an electronic one or a simple one with no features?

Thanks for all your input.

ddamm27913

just get a simple practice pad and some sticks.

people seem to go a little crazy with the technology and advanced equipment but its really just a waste. you dont need much

the drums are so amazing i can't even begin to tell you.

dont waste your money on lessons just yet, because believe me youtube is a great source for video lessons.

you're also pretty lucky. transitioning to drums from another instrument is very easy because you already have rhythm and timing. don't give up and stick with it and you'll be having fun in no time

aydee

Platinum Member
Practice pad with tell you nothing about what its like to play the drums. You could tap on anything with a pair of sticks. You need to find or make an acquaintance who is a drummer and play his kit a few times..and hopefully you'll get this warm and tickly feeling in your belly which will turn you on to the drums..

davidmpires

Thanks guys

For the time being I won't be able to have a real kit at home, that's just impossible, and I don't have much room, although I might be able to get a pratice pad kit, not sure how much noise the pedals will generate.

ddamm27913

Thanks guys

For the time being I won't be able to have a real kit at home, that's just impossible, and I don't have much room, although I might be able to get a pratice pad kit, not sure how much noise the pedals will generate.
A practice kit would be a waste of money. Because the pads all produce the same noise and you don't understand how a drumset really works (playing-wise) then you won't really get much out of it.

If anything look into a budget electronic drumset. That way you could play it at the house. And dont worry about the pedal making too much noise, it won't.

Don't be too pressured into needing equipment. I have more fun drumming on my dad's file cabinets than i do on my kit, and i have over a decade of drum experience. Drums are easy to learn and are easy to get better at, you just have to make the slight effort.

I would say that the best way to get started is to go to your local music school and just take an introductory lesson. you wont have to spend much and you will learn a lot

stasz

Platinum Member
What aydee said. If you can find a drummer buddy who trusts you enough to let you try playing his kit a couple times, try that. Even though money and noise are an issue most of the time, you need to get the chance to play a real kit, or at least an electronic one. And it takes a little bit of time to really get into drumming, so stick with it if you're discouraged at first. Don't forget to have fun too : )

That Guy

Platinum Member
Great advice, but I disagree a bit with not finding an instructor. Thats no biggie as of yet though. If in a reasonable amount of time you find that you are liking the drums... get an instructor in your early stages. You don't want to develop bad habits that can actually hold back your progression. Thats what the instructor is for... to keep your progress in check and help you.

KalashnikoV

I hate to contribute to the maelstrom of conflicting advice here, but I'd suggest starting with a nice practice pad and a few introductory lessons at your local music shop (sometimes they'll offer the first lesson free.) A practice pad will be better in replicating the feel of a real drum than any table or pot or what-have-you, and will therein promote better technique—and technique is of utmost importance. Any instructor worth his salt will help you from developing bad habits early on, and you'll learn more playing for 30 minutes on a real kit alongside a professional than you will in hours of watching youtube.

drummer girl09

To get a little feel of it, just go to a music store, and play on the electronic set for a little to get the feel of it and everything. Then if a guy from the store comes around and asks if you need help, then tell him that you want to start playing. He might give you some ideas and stuff.

You might wanna get a practice pad too though. And just google drum lessons, and take the beginner class, to see what you think about it.

davidmpires

Thanks guys

I just got myself a pair of sticks and for now my legs are my practice pad... I have a metronome already and yesterday was "drumming" away... :)