Bass Drum Legs Broken, Drum Moves

Dodeska

Oh i gotcha... like Squier... Fender's name and stuff but outsourced overseas.

Anyways... anyone have some quick fixes for this? I can barely even play, the drum constantly slides up it's horribly annoying... i guess i can setup my kit against the wall if all else fails but i like having it in the middle of the room.
I've played on a few kits at rehearsal rooms with a leg missing. They invariably use one of these propped against it to stop any movement.

Backspacez

Those drums are made FOR Fender,by another manufacturer,so Fender is just slaping their name on the drums.Fender itself,dosen't make drum sets.This is a decades old practice in the musical instrument manufacturing industry.Back in the 60's -70's Tama/Hoshino/Star(same company and Pearl,made thousand of drum sets,with hundreds of different names and badges on them,and NOT Tama or Pearl badges.Names like Tempro and Kent,were actually made in a Tama or Pearl factory.

Gretsch USA drums,use drum shells made by Keller,and Gretsch just puts their name on them.DW used to use Keller shells also,till they started making their own.In fact,most custom drum builders ,use Keller shells,and just put their name on them.

Many imported instrument,like drums,are made in factories in China and Taiwan,which also make a few different brands of drums....in the same factory.

So nobodys selling fake stuff.A conpany like Fender,just has another factory make drums FOR then,under contract,and just put the Fender name on them.Fender guitars are made in Japan,China,Mexico and the US,some in factories NOT owned by Fender.

Steve B
Oh i gotcha... like Squier... Fender's name and stuff but outsourced overseas.

Anyways... anyone have some quick fixes for this? I can barely even play, the drum constantly slides up it's horribly annoying... i guess i can setup my kit against the wall if all else fails but i like having it in the middle of the room.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Those drums are made FOR Fender,by another manufacturer,so Fender is just slaping their name on the drums.Fender itself,dosen't make drum sets.This is a decades old practice in the musical instrument manufacturing industry.Back in the 60's -70's Tama/Hoshino/Star(same company and Pearl,made thousand of drum sets,with hundreds of different names and badges on them,and NOT Tama or Pearl badges.Names like Tempro and Kent,were actually made in a Tama or Pearl factory.

Gretsch USA drums,use drum shells made by Keller,and Gretsch just puts their name on them.DW used to use Keller shells also,till they started making their own.In fact,most custom drum builders ,use Keller shells,and just put their name on them.

Many imported instrument,like drums,are made in factories in China and Taiwan,which also make a few different brands of drums....in the same factory.

So nobodys selling fake stuff.A conpany like Fender,just has another factory make drums FOR then,under contract,and just put the Fender name on them.Fender guitars are made in Japan,China,Mexico and the US,some in factories NOT owned by Fender.

Steve B

Backspacez

I'm pretty sure Fender doesn't make drums. The Starcaster line is what's known as a "stencil kit". One or maybe two manufacturers make the drums and put whatever name the buyer wants on it. They used to me made in Japan. now they're made in China. Should be no problem finding a replacement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starcaster_by_Fender#Drum_Set

I'm pretty sure they're made by Fender, my friend bought it at Costco, I doubt Costco can get away with selling fake stuff.

lsits

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure Fender doesn't make drums. The Starcaster line is what's known as a "stencil kit". One or maybe two manufacturers make the drums and put whatever name the buyer wants on it. They used to me made in Japan. now they're made in China. Should be no problem finding a replacement.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Oh wow, I assumed I needed a Fender Starcaster bass drum spur but looking on eBay, these look like they'll fit my drum. I'll probably do that when I have some extra money unless I find a cheaper way.

In terms of upgrading, I just upgraded my kit and spent a lot of money (400) on new cymbals, heads and cymbal stands and I love the way everything sounds now, it is very comparable to my friends Tama kit (he spent around 1k on it, has three rack toms, two floor toms, might be an ImperialStar) so I'm not looking to upgrade kits anytime soon.
Most spurs will work, it's just a matter of whether you will need to drill or not. Good to hear you are working with what you have ... a lot of those "entry-level" kits will work well if you put time into what you can improve on. Cheers!

Backspacez

You can, in fact, get replacement legs from other manufacturers and replace one or both spurs, for anywhere between $30 and $100. Gibraltar makes great ones, but also Cannon, Dixon, etc. Some drilling may be required, but it's very simple and folks upgrade bass drum spurs all the time. Google "bass drum spurs" and hit shopping links. Also check eBay for used ones that might work for cheaper.

Another possibility is to actually upgrade your kick drum to something intermediate. Your tom mounts will fit in a Pearl baseplate, and Pearl Export and Vision component drums are all over the place (along with older semi-pro or pro offerings such as World, Session, MLX/BLX, etc.) for a couple hundred bucks.

Third option is to upgrade the kit entirely, if you are sure you will stick with drumming. Best bet is to buy a higher-end used kit from Craigslist or eBay. You could sell yours for what the market will bear (probably $100-$150) and apply the cash towards a total kit makeover.

Best of luck!
Oh wow, I assumed I needed a Fender Starcaster bass drum spur but looking on eBay, these look like they'll fit my drum. I'll probably do that when I have some extra money unless I find a cheaper way.

In terms of upgrading, I just upgraded my kit and spent a lot of money (400) on new cymbals, heads and cymbal stands and I love the way everything sounds now, it is very comparable to my friends Tama kit (he spent around 1k on it, has three rack toms, two floor toms, might be an ImperialStar) so I'm not looking to upgrade kits anytime soon.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Anyways, the bass drum is a cheap one that came with a 400$ dollar kit, it's a Fender Starcaster drum (I didn't know they made drums either) so getting a replacement leg wouldn't work

Do you guys know any fixes for this?
You can, in fact, get replacement legs from other manufacturers and replace one or both spurs, for anywhere between $30 and $100. Gibraltar makes great ones, but also Cannon, Dixon, etc. Some drilling may be required, but it's very simple and folks upgrade bass drum spurs all the time. Google "bass drum spurs" and hit shopping links. Also check eBay for used ones that might work for cheaper.

Another possibility is to actually upgrade your kick drum to something intermediate. Your tom mounts will fit in a Pearl baseplate, and Pearl Export and Vision component drums are all over the place (along with older semi-pro or pro offerings such as World, Session, MLX/BLX, etc.) for a couple hundred bucks.

Third option is to upgrade the kit entirely, if you are sure you will stick with drumming. Best bet is to buy a higher-end used kit from Craigslist or eBay. You could sell yours for what the market will bear (probably $100-$150) and apply the cash towards a total kit makeover.

Best of luck!

Backspacez

My bass drum wobbles back and forth as one of the legs is broken. This is my first kit and I got the kit from a friend and the leg came broken.

I know I already have the cymbal positions thread open on this page as I just got new heads and cymbals and am looking to re-setup my kit in a more ergonomic fashion.

Anyways, the bass drum is a cheap one that came with a 400$ dollar kit, it's a Fender Starcaster drum (I didn't know they made drums either) so getting a replacement leg wouldn't work

Do you guys know any fixes for this?