Basic FREE program/website for band flyers?

AxisDrummer

Does anyone know of a VERY basic, easy to use FREE program/website to design a run-of-the-mill band flyer. It needs to allow me to use it for Facebook promos and printable 81/2x11. I know it's nitpicking but I don't like PosterMyWall.com due to the watermark.

Microsoft Publisher would work if I had it. I was using Serif PagePlus but the trial version will no longer allow me to export into a JPEG. I need a JPEG format for posting to Facebook.

Literally all I need is the ability to insert a graphic file(s) and type text.

I included our normal band flyer (not trying to promote...., just giving an example.)

SatNav37

Speaking from experience I would 'acquire' a copy of Adobe Photoshop and learn to use it from the endless tutorials on the net. Our singer does graphic design as his day job and has designed our logo, album art, gig posters and countless other bits of artwork for the band.

It's probably saved us thousands of pounds in paying someone else to do it, and while it might take a while to get proficient, it'll definitely save you in the long run. Once you get the hand of it, it's very powerful.

STXBob

Gold Member
Nonsense. It does some of the stuff relatively well, especially for free, but it's not even close to replicating everything in the full MS Office suite.
You're quite right, of course. I should have said it does everything a basic to moderate user of MS Office can expect. Power users will be disappointed.

I am a moderate user of Office. Nothing I did in Office couldn't be done in OpenOffice. The interface is slightly different, of course. But the power is there.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Speaking from experience I would 'acquire' a copy of Adobe Photoshop and learn to use it from the endless tutorials on the net. Our singer does graphic design as his day job and has designed our logo, album art, gig posters and countless other bits of artwork for the band.

It's probably saved us thousands of pounds in paying someone else to do it, and while it might take a while to get proficient, it'll definitely save you in the long run. Once you get the hand of it, it's very powerful.
Or use something perfectly legal and almost as good and download GIMP.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Or use something perfectly legal and almost as good and download GIMP.
Now, that's a good idea. A quite capable graphics editor. They might even still make "gimpshop" which was a mod designed to make it function more like photoshop in the foreground.

SteveDilksDrums

Hahaha, I'm that guy in my band! I agree with SatNav. The time you spend learning with be well worth it in the long run and you will be able to design anything your band will need, including cool gig posters. This also allows for your band mates to have more input as they can bounce ideas off of you instead of having to try to contact a busy designer every time a new idea or concept arises. Not only will you have the skills to design your band stuff, but you'll also be able to design your own cards, invites, and posters for your personal endeavors! It's a win/win really.