Band Stagnation

zzdrummer

So I went to practice with my kinda band, a guitar player a singer and were attempting to set up with a bass after we didnt like the first. We've only done it 3 times, first was short but good, played like 4 covers learned em all. 2nd time, not so good, bass confused, attempted writing a song, good but never finished. Today was not good, I tried getting em to finish that song but it would turn into pointless playing, tried some covers, no one finished em, we just didnt finish anything or do anything really productive. There good players and we could be good, I dunno what else to suggest, i feel like i shouldnt lead because there more expieranced with bands and both older so my suggestions to play whatevs normally get overuled by them, while I just want to play anything.

Any suggestions to stop this? Anysimilar situations?

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Ahh the dreaded "stagnation".

Obviously it sounds like you are more committed to establishing a core. A lot of times peeps just want to jam and never really have any intention of establishing a band and moving forward together with everyone on board.

I would have a serious talk with them and see if they are on the same page as you. ?

If they are not than you can always keep your ears open for another band that has the same goals as you do. You can always "jam" with them on occasion to keep your chops up. No harm, no foul. But at least they know where you stand and won't flip when you leave.

I left my last band because we were stagnate. I just wanted to play. The other members had two different philosophies and goals. Since leaving that band, more opportunities came up and I'm a much happier person today.

Good luck.

zzdrummer

I think I should do this but the odd thing is they always talk about adding people and getting gigs and the like and then they sit there and do nothing.

I will have that talk with them though, hopefully it turns into us actually playing something because finding a decent band in my town is difficult. Hopefully I do find something else or this improves.

Thanks very much for the help.

jjmason777

I'm in a similar situation. There are a few of us who want to gig, and a few who just want to jam. So now the few of us serious guys are forced to schedule rehearsal days that the other guys don't know about, so we can be productive. I'm not real crazy about the whole thing, but I am staying with it because it keeps me playing until I can put something else together.

oops

Silver Member
In situations like this, it's worth you deciding what you want to do and pushing it on them. If they agree with your vision for the band then good, you're all on the same page and you can push the band agenda. If not then maybe it's time to find some new guys.

Some important things:

Are you going to be a cover band or an original band? As a drummer, if you're interested in playing originals it's probably a better idea to jump onto a singer/songwriter who's looking for a band than trying to form a band to write and play originals. If there's someone who's already started writing it'll be a lot more productive than getting a group of guys together and then going 'ok, who can write?'.

Cover bands are great, and if that's your path then I'd choose a style you want to head towards: Top 40, Classic rock, Stevie Ray Vaughn tunes, whatever you're interested in. If the others aren't as interested as you are in playing polka tunes from the 60s, it's going to be very hard to motivate them to turn up to rehearsals.

Again, decide what YOU want, and then go to them with an agenda. If you just try and get everyone to talk it's going to be hard to get the ball rolling.

Also, don't worry about experience in regards to band leading. Even seasoned pros make mistakes. Just give it your best shot and you'll get better at it.

zzdrummer

In situations like this, it's worth you deciding what you want to do and pushing it on them. If they agree with your vision for the band then good, you're all on the same page and you can push the band agenda. If not then maybe it's time to find some new guys.

Some important things:

Are you going to be a cover band or an original band? As a drummer, if you're interested in playing originals it's probably a better idea to jump onto a singer/songwriter who's looking for a band than trying to form a band to write and play originals. If there's someone who's already started writing it'll be a lot more productive than getting a group of guys together and then going 'ok, who can write?'.

Cover bands are great, and if that's your path then I'd choose a style you want to head towards: Top 40, Classic rock, Stevie Ray Vaughn tunes, whatever you're interested in. If the others aren't as interested as you are in playing polka tunes from the 60s, it's going to be very hard to motivate them to turn up to rehearsals.

Again, decide what YOU want, and then go to them with an agenda. If you just try and get everyone to talk it's going to be hard to get the ball rolling.

Also, don't worry about experience in regards to band leading. Even seasoned pros make mistakes. Just give it your best shot and you'll get better at it.
I want a mixture of both, and one of them can write lyrics (singer) and one of them can write the melody (guitar) but not for each others work, quite a connundrum, eh?

And the covers is a funny list, Ben Harper, Sublime, Jimi, MJ, Flight of the Conchords, Lenny K, maybe Usher, pretty much everything except 60's polka.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try my best to push for what I want. I'll attempt to lead, I'm not very good, but your right, I have to do something about it. Because that was us, sitting there, "who can write?".