Band Set Up Woes Again. Grrrr

This drives me nuts. The guys I play with are the nicest people in every other regard, but they just can't seem to understand that I need room to set up the drums. I think part of it is nerves. They're already working on their stage fright so they're looking at the world through a straw when they're setting up.

This drives me nuts. The guys I play with are the nicest people in every other regard, but they just can't seem to understand that I need room to set up the drums. I think part of it is nerves. They're already working on their stage fright so they're looking at the world through a straw when they're setting up.

Some people just don’t think in the moment, that’s all there is to it. It’s nothing personal.

Take one of my dogs, for example, great and fantastic dog but it sometimes takes him a while to realise he has to bring me his favourite toy in order for me to throw it for him.

Sometimes he’ll sit across the room for minutes giving me the big puppy dog eye treatment, expecting me to come to him as he’s so excited, before actually listening to me and realising he needs to bring it to me so his favourite game can begin.

Do I get mad with him? Of course not. I am calm and patient with him and eventually he gets it.

Not comparing guitarists to dogs, but also that analogy works quite well so....

Last edited:
This is one of the uses of a drum rug - to mark your territory. Mine is trimmed to the exact size I need on stage, including my throne and all stands.

I considered doing that but if I make a rug that fits my kit perfectly, it won't leave room for other drummers to adjust things when we share the kit.

Hmmm... maybe I'll tape a border on the rug, Les Nessman style, to mark my territory. (People of a certain age will get that WKRP reference.)

I think you just have to speak up, be clear, and if necessary, be persistent.

Musicians often get into their own headspace, especially when there's a gig. All of us do it at different times and to varying degrees, and if you don't think you do, it's only because no one has spoken up clearly and persistently enough to make you realize it.

Yeah the drum rug marks your territory. Even the dumbest, most melodically impaired guitarist should recognize that.

Usually I’m first there so the drum rug is the perfect tool, if I’d been first the other night this wouldn’t have happened.
Anyway, I’ll make sure I’m first at our next gig, the stage area is unfeasibly small and I’ll make a deliberate point of leaving my gear off the stage and adopting the “none shall pass” routine as others turn up. But I’ll also explain WHY none shall pass and hopefully a relatively smooth set up in cramped conditions will get the message across.

...“none shall pass”...

I think that might be the only solution. Next show, I'll try telling my guys not to set foot on stage until the drums are set up. Setup would be quicker and less stressful if I finished first and then got out of their way, rather than having us all on stage at once, falling over each other.

I don't suffer fools well. If they get there before I do and have all their crap where I should be setting up I just set up on the front of the stage and take their perceived place on stage. Usually only takes about one time doing this to get the point across. And yes I am an ass about it. Fortunately for me my band mates know this and leave me space.

I don't suffer fools well. If they get there before I do and have all their crap where I should be setting up I just set up on the front of the stage and take their perceived place on stage. Usually only takes about one time doing this to get the point across. And yes I am an ass about it. Fortunately for me my band mates know this and leave me space.
This could be the best way I ever heard to handle this. Right on brother.

Wow...crazy stuff. Glad that I haven't encountered much of that. Pretty much understood that nothing gets put on the stage area except stuff that needs to go there, in its proper place. Kinda have to build outward from the kit, c'mon folks. Sheesh. Good luck with that stuff

First off, I don't put my drums on the stage. I get my rug down and set up the drums away from the stage, and bring them up starting with the bass drum. This leaves the whole stage open for anyone. When I see a band come in and put every case on the stage, then they have to move it again, I think really?

While some stereotypes hold true.........sometimes..............I wouldn't generalize based on that.

As someone who does a fair amount of his gigging on other instuments drummers as a species are not without issues.

If there must be a debate about social things, I think a discussion about why a certain environment tolerates behavior from certain people and not others would be a much more interesting and relevant discussion.

The main difference fir me with issues like this is bascially if I'm working with professionals or not. The more skilled and generally professional musician is in all aspects of the job the less likely these issues are.

Everyone can't be best version of themselves all the time, though. People can be tired or have other issues and we should try to understand, communicate and solve things before passing judgement. Maybe their mom or their cat just died?

Makes me reminisce about one of the early bands I was in. We used to rehearse in my friends garage. I REALLY didn't get on with the bass player, nor he with I. And where I'm always trying to be thoughtful, he was just this self-absorbed, selfish twat.

So on one occasion he knocked one of my cymbals over. I let that go with a harsh word or three.

About two weeks later he was arsing about with his guitarist mate and damaged my snare drum in so doing.

So I waited until he'd gone for lunch...then power-sawed the head off his bass guitar.

I know it wasn't clever. And I know I should have shown more restraint and been the better person. But it gave me such pleasure.

Makes me reminisce about one of the early bands I was in. We used to rehearse in my friends garage. I REALLY didn't get on with the bass player, nor he with I. And where I'm always trying to be thoughtful, he was just this self-absorbed, selfish twat.

So on one occasion he knocked one of my cymbals over. I let that go with a harsh word or three.

About two weeks later he was arsing about with his guitarist mate and damaged my snare drum in so doing.

So I waited until he'd gone for lunch...then power-sawed the head off his bass guitar.

I know it wasn't clever. And I know I should have shown more restraint and been the better person. But it gave me such pleasure.

Wow, that's brutal.

I just don't get this. Everyone knows the drums go in the back (usually), and everyone has their own stage space. It almost never changes. How do people not understand this?

OMG and what happened when he saw his bass?

He must have really deserved that.

This happens to me all the time?
I’ve found it best just to arrive unnecessarily early so you can be the first one there but I guess it stinks if that’s not an option.

OMG and what happened when he saw his bass?

He must have really deserved that.

He replaced it. It was a crap bass anyhow. We never spoke again though. Which was not a bad thing. A very strange guy whom, on one occasion, had to be forcibly removed from the rehearsal garage by the police.

Me and the guitarist out of that band still play on our local circuit 30 odd years later. In fact we did a gig together a couple of weeks back. And over post gig beers we always talk of the "bass incident" with a laugh and clinking of glasses.

I've always had running battles with other musos though because I find 90% of them to be ignorant twats if I'm honest. And bloody noodlers...all the time. Pre-gig, during gigs, post gigs...."here I am everyone....just tooning my guitar you know.....just, having a little STRUMMMM to check it works OK...oh it does. I'll just try that again to make sure but I'll wait till there are people around to see me doing it". I'm particularly amused by the one where they've spent an hour sorting their shit out then, an hour later, but roughly two minutes before we're announced on stage, they get up and start noodling again..."hey everyone, look at me, I'm your guitarist tonight" :)

Previous guitarist used to ask to borrow my spectacles so he could see to tune his guitar. Current guitarist frequently rests his guitar on my bass drum. Like "are you stupid or what?". Singer will stand right where I need to go when I'm breaking my drums down and not budge an inch whilst he's having a conversation with someone. Until I'm forced to say "f*** off over there an have your conversation".

I should stress, 99% of the time it's all in jest. They're great friends and we have a fantastic time.

Wow, that's brutal.

I just don't get this. Everyone knows the drums go in the back (usually), and everyone has their own stage space. It almost never changes. How do people not understand this?

I've been playing in bands since I was 15. And for about 30 years have always suggested to other band members that they allow me to go on stage FIRST and get my stuff in situ so that I'm not moving to and fro with large, heavy, equipment, risking knocking their precious guitars over.

Have they ever listened? No. Anarchy every time we do a gig.

Back