Band Etiquette

A-customs

Silver Member
Just my take,...................Yea 5a,or 5b, stop buying toothpicks...I play A Customs-Hence my profile name..............Im a fairly hard hitter,and have been playing the same crashes for over a decade,and they are still in fine shape....Not to say i havent cracked any cymbals in 30 years of playing,it happens.Like others have said,look at how your STRIKING the pies...One other note to look at for going thru sticks i found was to lower my hats a tad,so i wasnt always hitting them on the sides.helped on sticks big time.

ChipJohns

I like this guys line of thought though....make the guitar players pay for our sticks and heads. Yea that'll go over like a lead zeppelin!
I love it Larry.. it'll go down in history as "The Drummers Revolt of 2010."

Our greatgrandchildren will go to see the statue of LarryAce in Central Park and say, "My Greatgrand-dad/mom was part of that revolt..!"

This of course was followed by the revolt of 2011 where drum machines were found in every band across the land..!!

Travis22

Like the rest have said, it does suck sometimes, but your gear is your responsibility. Having your cymbals tightened too much (mainly on your crashes and splashes) as well as having bad angles will cause them to crack. I've broken a few cymbals myself, and most of the time it comes down to I didn't have them setup right for the way I was playing them. And this has got to be the case if you are using such small sticks...they should explode in to tiny little pieces before your cymbal cracks.

As for the sticks...here's my suggestion on that one. If you are really sold on the thin sticks, that's fine. Everyone has their prefrencese. But get ahold of some REALLY cheap ones for practice. The local drum shop I go to has a thing called "Bucket-O-Stix" and you can get a pair for like 2-5 bucks. And there's always the option of buying a "brick" of sticks...this will probably cost you between $60-$100 depending on what you use, but you'll get 12 pair. This should last you quite awhile and save you some money. All in all, drumming isn't cheap, as you are finding out. You have to find ways to make things work if funds are tight...and remember, there's always a volume knob on electronics so don't let them force you to play harder our louder than you are comfortable with.

Good Luck.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
If ever there was a stick designed to break under heavy assault, it's 8Ds.

Agree with zfzgg (try saying that 3 times quickly) ... 5Bs are the way to go. Agree with all the other suggestions too.

When it comes to band etiquette you've done a pretty big faux pas by asking for others to pay for your gear. I'd backpedal from that stance extra fast if I were you ...

... did you think I said I wanted you guys to chip in for my sticks? haha ... you're hearing things! As if I'd say something silly like that? haha ...

You get the idea :)
He is new to all this and noobs are entitled to ask a few dumb questions.

Yeah, everybody pays for their own stuff. Band members should contribute equally to things that benefit the entire band: publicity, hauling gear, fuel, maybe an occasional business lunch.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I like this guys line of thought though....make the guitar players pay for our sticks and heads. Yea that'll go over like a lead zeppelin!
Yeah, but it could also go over like Led Zeppelin. Go to 4:05 to see what I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTw1ZFsWB0

Do I need to spell this one out?
Led Zeppelin = drummers presenting this wonderful idea to the other musicians
the audience = delighted musicians clamoring to pay for our stuff

It's just crazy enough to WORK.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I also like skinny sticks for heavy playing - 7As. But I turn them around and play them backwards.

The basic idea with 5B suggestion, or any stick really, is that you need to let the stick do more of the work. That'll save you blisters, sticks, and cymbals. The more you force things, the more they break.

utdrummer

As usual, noobs can expect to get only the finest responses here at DW...I agree stix and heads are certainly your responsibility, but here's some other band/drummer etiquette you might not have considered. I have played in and out of bands for over thirty years and these rules have served me well. See if they can be of help to you in your career.
#1-miss scheduled practice as often as possible.
#2- ALWAYS show up late.
#3-throw tantrums when possible.
#4-take smoke breaks in the middle of songs.
#5-hit on the singers girlfriend, or anybody's girl for that matter. Don't limit yourself.
#6-solo whenever possible.
#7-always play a little too fast!
#8-drink all the beer in the practice room.
#9-refuse to help load/unload P.A. system.
DRUM ROLL PLEASE!...
#10-twirl sticks excessively...everyone on this forum seems to like it.
You can thank me later...these are killer insider drumming secrets. Good luck!

sabian92

Best way to think about it is this:

Rehearsal, transport, fuel money, etc, you all chip in.

Your own wear and tear is something that you personally have to fund. I'll be brutally honest with you, if a bassist asked me to fund his "new set of strings every 2 weeks" habit, it'd cost 40GBP (80$) a month, and I'd politely tell him to shove it up his arse.

Reheading my kit costs me over $250 a time - I couldn't ask my band mates to keep me with new heads every few months. To me it's downright rude.

bonner

. Everyone has their prefrencese. But get ahold of some REALLY cheap ones for practice. The local drum shop I go to has a thing called "Bucket-O-Stix" and you can get a pair for like 2-5 bucks. And there's always the option of buying a "brick" of sticks...this will probably cost you between $60-$100 depending on what you use, but you'll get 12 pair. This should last you quite awhile and save you some money. All in all, drumming isn't cheap, as you are finding out. You have to find ways to make things work if funds are tight...and remember, there's always a volume knob on electronics so don't let them force you to play harder our louder than you are comfortable with.

Good Luck.
I can't seem to get hold of any cheap 8d's!!! They seem really rare.

I was in the same boat as you a while ago, playing a little bit bigger sticks (Dave Weckl Signatures) but still breaking about a pair per practice/show. It gets downright expensive and really annoys you after a while. I couldn't take the cost and starting using 5B's just for band practice since I could get a brick of 6 for $20 and they lasted longer. At first they seemed huge but after a few practices I started liking how I played with them. Now I use 5B's every day.

The best part? I bought that brick of sticks 2-3 months ago and I'm just now down to the last pair--and I play drums every day, sometimes 3-4 hours daily between personal practice and rehearsals. Next time you go to the store to drop $30 in sticks for your next show, do yourself a favor and just buy one pair of 5B's and use them for a few practices. If you don't like them, you're only out a few more bucks than you're used to spending anyway. If you do like them, it'll prevent this conflict, improve your relationship with the band, and save you a buttload of cash. That's worth a few bucks in my book.

Travis22

I can't seem to get hold of any cheap 8d's!!! They seem really rare.
I just checked musiciansfriend.com for a quick reference and they have 8D's in Vic Firth's for 8 bucks a pair. I didn't spend but a couple of seconds looking, but 99.9% of the time if you just go into a music store or call a place like musicians friend you can order a brick of them. Usually with qunatity comes price breaks. So where they are at 8 bucks a pair indiviually, they will probably be something like 5-6 bucks a pair if you buy a brick.